Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,066

2 members and 3,064 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Re: Mice Direct FDA Recall

Quote Originally Posted by izoid View Post
    So, are you saying that the mice, rats and chicks that had salmonella all came from different facilities and that Mice Direct has no culpability in the matter?
    Are you not understanding that while it may well be present in their frozen food it may not be originating with them?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Holy Crap! I used to get my rats from mice direct but after having issues with snakes getting sick I changed up my husbandry and a few months ago switched to a different rodent breeder completely.

I always suspected somethning since the vet reports came back with a abundance of salmonella as the cause for the illness, but I wasn't convinced it was the food I was feeding them... My snakes also didn't as readily eat the mice direct rats as they do with the new breeder I get them from...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Are you not understanding that while it may well be present in their frozen food it may not be originating with them?
    But they are the ones selling them. I am not understanding why the vigorous defense of Mice Direct.

Let's pretend I am an importer of snakes. I get a batch, from someone else, that is infected with disease. I then mix those snakes with the rest of my reptiles, infecting them. I then sell the snake, or other reptiles, to you and your collection get sick and dies. Who is to blame? It can't be me by your logic because the animals didn't originate with me. This just makes no sense at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

So, are you saying that the mice, rats and chicks that had salmonella all came from different facilities and that Mice Direct has no culpability in the matter?
    He didn't say anything of the sort, he said that some of the animals may have originated at other facilities. You just twisted it to that.

Are you just out to get MiceDirect for some reason? Seeing as Mice Direct is the one saying they will be doing the irradiation that you just praised someone else for saying they'll do.. yet you overlook that part. You've ranted about how bad a facility it is, stated that their live animals carry salmonella, disparaged their production and integrity. Just wondering why all the squalling, when Mice Direct is the only company stating they will be going the extra(pricier) step to ensure any salmonella is killed on future product.. but I don't see you screaming for all the other companies(which could have produced some of the frozen feeders that may have caused the human cases, since not all of the feeders causing the issues came from MiceDirect) to be boycotted.

I mean.. I bought a bag or two of feeders from them, but generally I do use a different company(who is cheaper than them, so there goes your first rant about cheap being worse, huh?) so I have no real dog in the fight, so to speak.

Did they steal your french fries in the second grade or something? Just wondering.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

theGuardian (07-28-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaHogs View Post
    There are two facilities in the south east. One in South Florida, and one about 3 hours from Atlanta. I do not know about facilities in the North. You basically have to take your product to the facility to get the process done. It is time consuming and costly, but Mice Direct is doing it at the direction of the FDA
    That will be way out of the question i guess. I dont breed on large scale to afford all that for the rodents. But then again i wash my hands in between touching mice and rats or feeding snakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    He didn't say anything of the sort, he said that some of the animals may have originated at other facilities. You just twisted it to that.

Are you just out to get MiceDirect for some reason? Seeing as Mice Direct is the one saying they will be doing the irradiation that you just praised someone else for saying they'll do.. yet you overlook that part. You've ranted about how bad a facility it is, stated that their live animals carry salmonella, disparaged their production and integrity. Just wondering why all the squalling, when Mice Direct is the only company stating they will be going the extra(pricier) step to ensure any salmonella is killed on future product.. but I don't see you screaming for all the other companies(which could have produced some of the frozen feeders that may have caused the human cases, since not all of the feeders causing the issues came from MiceDirect) to be boycotted.

I mean.. I bought a bag or two of feeders from them, but generally I do use a different company(who is cheaper than them, so there goes your first rant about cheap being worse, huh?) so I have no real dog in the fight, so to speak.

Did they steal your french fries in the second grade or something? Just wondering.
    Talk about making things up. What got into you. Nothing that you have accused me of saying is in fact what I said....go back and read my posts and then take a comprehension class.

1. I never ranted about how bad their facility is.
    2. I never said their live animals carry salmonella.
    3. I never disparaged them at all.

Please do not misrepresent what I have said as it only makes you look bad.

It is great that they are going the extra step of irradiating their stock, good for them. It still does not change the fact that their product was recalled due to salmonella contamination.

And BTW....they took my whole happy meal, not just the fries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    That will be way out of the question i guess. I dont breed on large scale to afford all that for the rodents. But then again i wash my hands in between touching mice and rats or feeding snakes.
    Just use a good quality food, clean your cages on a regular basis and wash your hands after handling. I think that is a reasonable approach for a small scale home breeder like yourself. If you were selling thousands of rodents all over the country I would image you would want to take some extra measures.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

But they are the ones selling them. I am not understanding why the vigorous defense of Mice Direct.

Let's pretend I am an importer of snakes. I get a batch, from someone else, that is infected with disease. I then mix those snakes with the rest of my reptiles, infecting them. I then sell the snake, or other reptiles, to you and your collection get sick and dies. Who is to blame? It can't be me by your logic because the animals didn't originate with me. This just makes no sense at all.
    If I don't follow proper and well known guidelines for quarantine and husbandry, it is NOT your fault. Doesn't matter what you did before I got them, I made the choice to purchase, therefore I, just me, all alone and by myself, am responsible for what happens.

However, we are not, as you seem to dim to understand, not referring to living reptiles but to dead, frozen, no longer living and not reptiles when they were(just to be clear) rodents.

You do understand why they're different, right?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Just use a good quality food, clean your cages on a regular basis and wash your hands after handling. I think that is a reasonable approach for a small scale home breeder like yourself. If you were selling thousands of rodents all over the country I would image you would want to take some extra measures.
    Always kept clean(every 4-5 days) fed Mazuri or Kent and hand sanitizer and Dial all over.

Do not expect to become rodent breeder. Just hoped id be able to take the extra step easier than driving hours. Maybe in time somewhere up here in Michigan it will be easily accessed.

Thanks

Help me understand why it is OK to sell dead rodents contaminated with salmonella.

Instead of arguing with each other we should be asking how this happened and how can we all prevent it from occurring in the future. Instead we talk about poor Mice direct and the big bad government conspiracy.

I for one would feel more comfortable buying from them now than ever before but that does not alleviate the potential harm they may have caused.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast