Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,728

1 members and 2,727 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Possible RI, need some opinions

My female Mojo just laid eggs on July 14th and has been showing some odd symptoms since the day of laying. It sounds like it could be RI but I'm not positive. She's been breathing out and puffing her throat and almost making a popping/"cough" like action. She did this the whole time during laying, breathing out heavy and making a "cough" like sound which seemed to coincide with her laying but now she's stopped the heavy breathing and is still doing the same "coughing" symptom. She's whistling a bit when picked up but she's got no signs of mucus or bubbles coming from her nostrils or mouth. She just shed and temps are good. There's been no changes to the enclosure (other than removing the eggs and cleaning it out), there are a lot of mixed opinions on whether to raise or lower humidity if it is indeed RI. However if it is RI then wouldn't raising the humidity and thinning the mucus out be the most beneficial instead of trying to dry out the mucus and causing it to become lodged? She ate yesterday and looks great and is acting normal otherwise. She's not lifting her head or stretching out her neck like common signs of RI. Any opinions would help, I don't want to start loading her up with meds if it's not necessary. It seems to be that her recent lay just caused a bit of stress and thus these symptoms. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by c0ldphyer; 07-28-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks

Re: Possible RI, need some opinions

Well, I checked her again and now she's not making any noises. I listened carefully to her breathing for several minutes, picked her up from different positions, and checked her nose and mouth and everything is normal. Her breathing is normal and steady, no labored breathing, not even a whistle. I don't know if it's just an "after symptom" of laying her eggs or if she's just trying to scare me to death. She's always been acting like her normal self, so hopefully it was just a fluke. I'll keep a close watch on her though and update further. Still any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

I have a few that always whistle before shed, it's the shed coming loose and causing this.
    It always goes away after shed.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

I'm new to owning snakes, but that does not sound like an RI to me. I'm clueless as to what it may be, but it's probably what snakesrkewl said.
    Just watch for mucus in the nose and mouth, lifting her head excessively, or a repeat of any of the original signs you noticed.
    I'm glad it seems that she's ok!
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks

Well Mama Mojo is doing very well, NO RI!!! First time she acted the way she was but it stopped a day after shed so all is good That's the first time any of my balls actually did that so it was concerning to me. I'm glad that everything is fine though and I appreciate those who responded. Also, her 9 eggs are doing great and we can't wait for them to hatch!