Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,339

1 members and 1,338 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: The Prices

Thanks

The Prices

What motivates them? I know there's the whole supply-demand thing, but that's probably the simplest way of looking at economics that exists. I want to know what motivates any particular breeder to put any particular snake for sale at a certain price. Possible causes I see are:

-Supply-demand (definitely the biggest factor for a new morph)
    -Cost to produce (often seems overlooked with low-end morphs)
    -Kingsnake.com (ruining the industry?)
    -Quality (health, feeding response, disposition, looks; Brian Gundy sells his "Gold Blush" normals for several hundred dollars)
    -Temporary conditions (show prices, got-to-go sales, time of year)
    -Age (older snakes cost more, but not enough more than hatchlings, it would seem, to offset the cost of raising it to that age)
    -Breeding habits (sell off bad breeders for cheap, just to get them out of your hands)
    -Reputation (people will pay more to deal with big names, though they often have the most interesting stuff)
    -Anything else?

So, say cost to produce: Why is it so often overlooked? A big deal in this seems to be that nobody can turn much of a profit without either being big-time (debatable) or hitting it big with a new morph. Perhaps this problem wouldn't exist if breeders stopped competing directly with imports and petshops?

I know squat about economics, and I know not everyone's out to make a profit, but why shouldn't you at least get what you put into it? Whenever someone talks about making money off this, people say "You'll never turn a profit" or "It's near impossible to turn a profit" or "It'll be forever before you even break even" (<---most reasonable, and true with any business). Prices change altitude like a butterfly, and often just drop like stones. I'm just asking, "Why does it have to be this way, and why can so few people at least make up the cost of housing and feeding enough to produce a few hatchlings with those hatchlings?" If Brian Gundy can sell normals for a few hundred dollars, then why can't I if I think they're just as good looking, healthy, and cost me as much?
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

Thanks

Re: The Prices

you couldnt have said it better i feel the same way it scares me to know this me being a newbie to the ball python world i have 5 snakes now and what if i cant get rid of the animals i produce i wanna keep a few out of each clutch but not all of them
    1.0 spider pos het hypo 09
    1.0 butter 09
    0.1 pastel 08
    0.1 pinstripe 07
    0.1cinny 10
    0.1 normal 06
    1.0 normal 08

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevepoppers View Post
    If Brian Gundy can sell normals for a few hundred dollars, then why can't I if I think they're just as good looking, healthy, and cost me as much?
    You can if you find a buyer willing to buy it.

That's the ONLY factor (outside of Local/State/Federal regulations).

So, in the world of economics (in a free market economy, regulated or otherwise), as a seller, your profitability solely depends on whether you can find a buyer. There are several "parameters" you can use to attract that buyer in the face of competition - Quality, Price, Reputation, Creative Marketing.

But, even after you perfect those parameters, you still have to watch for market saturation. Because, it doesn't matter how good a quality, how low a price, how stellar your reputation, and how creative your marketing is - when there are only 5 buyers for 500 snakes, the market is too saturated especially if you're a newcomer. Brian Gundy can sell wild types for over a hundred dollars because in a market of 5 buyers and 500 snakes, his reputation is such that he can sell 400 of those snakes to 4 of those buyers.

These parameters can be calculated using probability statistics to determine cost versus profitability. Most big companies and venture capitalists have to do this before they invest a good amount of money. For the relatively small businesses like reptile breeders - let's take Brian Gundy, for example - they know the product and the market so well that these calculations are instinctive.
    Last edited by anatess; 07-22-2010 at 11:56 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Registered User SERPENT_MASTERS's Avatar
    Thanks

GREAT POINT ANATESS........................

Brian Gundy can sell wild types for over a hundred dollars because in a market of 5 buyers and 500 snakes, his reputation is such that he can sell 400 of those snakes to 4 of those buyers.
    Last edited by SERPENT_MASTERS; 07-22-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    ALL I HAVE IN THIS WORLD IS MY BALLS AND MY WORD. I WONT BREAK EM FOR NOBODY.

Thanks

Ok. So that explains why Brian Gundy can make what he does on his normals (no offense to them, it's just easier to say than "wild-types", but I know where you're coming from with that). But what about everyone else who undercuts their own expenses to get the snakes out the door? Is it because it this buyer's market, the lowest seller set the price for everyone else? It just doesn't make sense, especially since pet stores can sell normals for so much. (I bought mine for $150 before I got into this fo' realz). If pet stores can sell for so much, why don't breeders? Granted, pet stores are often selling to uneducated or unaware customers; a "sucker" situation, if you will.

Could I not say to a potential buyer, "This is what it cost me to make this snake for you. This is what it's worth. Here's why"? It just makes no economical sense to me to sell for so much less than it's worth.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP