Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,849

1 members and 2,848 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What are your thoughts on ... The PHONE?

I am a telephone hypocrite. I hate hypocrisy. Therefore, this bothers me.

When I want to buy something, and I am very serious and know, or am fairly sure, that I want to buy it, I generally prefer to give the seller a phone call. If the seller has a phone number listed, I'll call it, and if not, I will always send my number along with my email.

Te be sure, I'll generally make more casual inquiries via email, and if they progress to a sale, I have no problem doing all communication that way. But if I KNOW I want that thing (snake, car, etc.), I'd prefer to talk on the phone. To me, the phone is a much more "serious" mode of communication -- email is cheap, but I'm not the kind to make a "casual" inquiry by telephone.

On the other hand ... When I get an inquiry from a buyer who requests (on the first email) that I call them up, my initial thought is, "No thanks, I'd rather not." Depending on the situation, I may or may not pick up the phone ... But I'd always rather sell via email.

Hence: telephone hypocrite.

What are your feelings on the phone -- buying and selling? And is it horribly wrong want to use the phone as a buyer, but not as a seller?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: What are your thoughts on ... The PHONE?

I don't mind telephone conversation about a sale or purchase, however I really like to have all important details of a transaction covered in email communication. The reason for this is that I then have a paper trail if anything goes wrong. You can provide email communications as proof if need be, but you have no proof of anything that is discussed via the telephone. Even if I do discuss details over the phone, I will then send a follow up email, confirming everything discussed just so that I have it all in writing.
    - Emily

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

cathys99471 (08-11-2010),jkobylka (08-11-2010),Serpent_Nirvana (07-22-2010),wolfy-hound (08-11-2010)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    I don't mind telephone conversation about a sale or purchase, however I really like to have all important details of a transaction covered in email communication. The reason for this is that I then have a paper trail if anything goes wrong. You can provide email communications as proof if need be, but you have no proof of anything that is discussed via the telephone. Even if I do discuss details over the phone, I will then send a follow up email, confirming everything discussed just so that I have it all in writing.
    What she said

I cover all the details of a transaction via email also even if a phone conversation took place (sometimes it's also done through PM, or anything that leaves a trail)
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

cathys99471 (08-11-2010),Serpent_Nirvana (07-22-2010)

Thanks

I like to buy and sell through e-mail for the same reasons, if something goes wrong, you have everything in writing.
    Ball Pythons:
    0.1.0 Bumble Bee- Schnapps
    0.1.0 Pinstripe- Penny
    0.1.0 Super Cinnamon- Cleo
    0.1.0 Albino- Daiquiri
    0.1.0 Low White Piebald- Hershey
    1.0.0 Low White Piebald- Reese
    1.0.0 Paradox Super Cinnamon- Dash
    1.0.0 100% Het. Albino- Jester
    1.0.0 50% Het. Albino Jake

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bsash For This Useful Post:

Serpent_Nirvana (07-22-2010)

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

I have sold or bought quite a few bp's through text message which is fine with me. At the same time I prefer the details in email/s that way I have proof of the sale/buy.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

9. The Following User Says Thank You to iCandiBallPythons For This Useful Post:

Serpent_Nirvana (07-22-2010)

Thanks

What everyone else said LOL.. I will start a sale through E-mails and once someone truly shows interest in the animal (not just trying to lowball me) I will include a phone number Just in case they want to call and actually talk to a Human Being! I will follow up with an E-mail outlining the conversation just to have a paper trail in case something goes wrong during the sale!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

everything I do is (as a buyer) is listed on the paypal invoice. In many states, emails and private messages are not admissible in a court of law because you can not guarantee the person on the other end. However when a person accepts a paypal with written conditions attached, this is different.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to suzuki4life For This Useful Post:

Serpent_Nirvana (08-12-2010)

Thanks

I like what my customer likes, but I also like a paper trail. That way I can go back and remember the details after I've had 20 other people call me.

It does kind of irk me when someone emails me and tells me to call them... They should just call. But hey...

Justin
    J. Kobylka Reptiles Website
    Check out the 2013 JKR incubator!

Warning:
    Snakes have been shown to cause death in laboratory rats.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jkobylka For This Useful Post:

Serpent_Nirvana (08-12-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

As a buyer, I like to do everything in email. I like to talk to the seller on the phone as a formality, but having everything said by both parties written in text removes confusion. There have been times in the past with regard to money/goods exchange that began online where if I had only communicated via phone calls, I would have made mistakes and forgotten important detials. I know I can't be the only one who is forgetful and has to look things up.

The only purchase where animals and money aren't exchanged on site I've done was putting money down on 1.1 from a clutch that had yet to be laid. A standard contract was pre-printed by the seller, I gave him my deposit and we both signed and had copies of the contract. We have kept in touch via email since then.

Quote Originally Posted by jkobylka View Post
    It does kind of irk me when someone emails me and tells me to call them... They should just call. But hey...

Justin
    Agreed. Just call during business hours. At least if they ask you to call them, I guess you can do it at your leisure.
    Last edited by mainbutter; 08-11-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

I prefer email, becuase it's easier than trying to catch a time when BOTH parties are able to actually concentrate on just the communications. With email, it's read when the receiver has the time to devote to it, rather than picking up the phone when you're in the middle of something else.

I know that some do this for a living, and thus maybe they keep "business hours" but you could be working in the snake room, arranging eggs in the incubator.. who knows?

But the main reason for me would also be the paper trail showing exactly what any agreements are.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast