Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,275

2 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Handling for the first time

I've had my snake at home for about a week, and I'm thinking of trying to handle him today or tomorrow for the first time. How should I go about doing this?

Thanks

Re: Handling for the first time

Reach in and grab him. Don't go directly at his face, that might frighten him. Come up from behind his head, and lift him out of his cage by his mid section. I'm sure he'll do fine. The very first is always scary, but becomes so easy after that.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

hah okay. and if he's in his hide, should i leave him there until he comes out (which may be never ) or should i just lift the hide and take him out anyways?

Thanks

Just lift it off. Try not to stick your fingers in his entrance hole. It might spook him. Just grab it by the sides and lift it off. Don't be scared if he jerks his head into a ball. All my young ones do it. It will take time for him to get used to you, but when he does get ready. Mine that I handle a lot, I have a hard time trying to put them back into their tubs. They would rather stay out.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stratus_020202 For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (07-13-2010)

Thanks

I just touch mine on the back a few times to let her know I'm there before I pick her up. When I bought her, I picked the one that didn't go into a ball when I was handling her so it will vary how active your snake is once handled. Just move slow and you both will be fine. If by the off chance it strikes, don't pull away fast because you could hurt it. Its more scary than painful. GOOD LUCK!
    C. Paige

1.0.0 Colombian BCI Het Albino-Jahmba
    0.1.0 Ball Python-Nara
    0.1.0 Hermann's Tortoise-Shells Bells
    0.0.2 Clownfish

Thanks

Pretty much what stratus said. Just be gentle and hold him in your hands for a little bit. He'll un-ball on his own if he feels like it. If he starts to "whistle" when you're handling him, that usually means they're starting to feel stressed or overwhelmed so they want to go hide in their tank again. As you start taking him out more, he probably won't whistle as often or even at all.
    1.1.0 Ball Pythons [Sparks & Zoey]
    0.1.0 Sandfire x Giant German Citrus Bearded Dragon [Isis]
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko Tattoo [Dorian Gray]
    1.0.0 Fiance [Jordan]

I'm a girl that likes reptiles, tattoos, tech, cars, and F1 races. Now if only I had more room in my house for computers and tanks, and a huge garage for cars and trucks...

Click here to check out Threadless.com!

Thanks

I wouldn't handle him until he eats for you! Once he eats for you then you can handle him by grabbing his mid section. Wait 48 hours after feeding to handle! I always tap on the hide before removing it just to let them know I am there before removing the hide. Don't be jumpy or you will make him nervous!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I agree on waiting to handle until he's fed. These guys can be somewhat finiky and it's best to get them a bit settled before handling, IMO.

Thanks

Once he eats wait 2 days before you hold him. Go ahead and just let him know your hand is in the cage and pet his mid section and gently lift him up and hold your other hand out and let him sit in it. Don't make any sudden movements and if he jerks his head back try your best not to move your hand fast. Also try to avoid touching near his head/neck area.

Another thing I recommend is don't let anyone else but you hold him tell he is use to you. And don't be scared! I was a bit spooked at first but really they are harmless animals.

Thanks

I agree on waiting until he has eaten for you, then wait 48 hours before handling. I always let him know I am coming into his tank, usualy by the noise I make taking the big metal screen off the 75 gallon tank, lol. After I lift his hide he is a little jumpy so I stroke his back a little bit and he calms down really fast, then I reach in and pick him right up in the middle of his body, once out if he dont wrap around my wrist right away I use my other hand to get him started so that way I have a free hand if I need it, and my free hand I use to control where he goes by letting his head go onto my hand then slowly moving him...because of how strong they are, if he gets started wrapping his head around something in reach you will have fun getting him off, lol.
    I let him get to close to my railing once and it took about 10 minutes to get him out, for their size they sure are tough!
    He never wants to go back in either, I have to let him cruise around the top of his tank for a bit, then he climbs in when he is ready, gets a drink and heads to his hide.

Dont be jumpy and expect him to coil his head back like he going to strike you, even he dont...expect it, it dont mean he will strike. Mine does it all the time and I expect it so Im not worried about it. You will learn all of his tricks, the way he moves and stuff and will become second nature to ya.

I have yet to have him curl into a ball though, he has never done that anytime I have ever held him..he did for the guy I bought him from, but never me.
    Last edited by tonyaltn; 07-14-2010 at 06:51 PM.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonygreif/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyaltn

2.0 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Albino Burmese Python
    0.1 Pastel Boa BCI
    1.0 Dwarf Boa
    1.0 Dwarf Boa (Different Locality)
    1.0 Reverse Okeetee Corn