Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,061

2 members and 3,059 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Being fair about PetSmart (and buying your ball python from them)

Is she an adult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Bumblebee
    1.0 Banana pin
    0.1 Banana

Thanks
    Yeah, like everyone's been saying, it depends on the individual petsmart- since management and employees are different. The funny thing I found though from working at petsmart is the snakes that come to us tend to either be like you described: striking at everything and everything that moves or super docile and friendly. Usually I say ask the employees, they'll know which is which.

Thanks
    I was in Pet Supermarket a few days ago, they had a ball python who was extremely dehydrated and had partial shed stuck to him. I like that chain stores bring exposure to the idea of getting a snake, but it's so sad when places so clearly cannot care for them. Seeing the snake, you can't help but want to rescue it, but purchasing it just enables them to do the same to a new one. I'm fortunate that where I live (Raleigh, NC) we have a mom and pop-type pet store specializing in snakes. I think that one of the best aspects of buying from a local breeder means if you have a problem or concern about the snake you purchased, you have someone to go back to for assistance. Buying from a chain store means not only are you not sure what you're getting, but also you're not sure what assistance you can receive after the fact.
    1.0 mojave Plissken
    0.1 lesser pastel

Thanks
    It absolutely depends on the store. I have gotten 2 ball pythons from Petsmart and one corn snake from Petco. All 3 animals appeared in good health and I haven't had any issue with them being sick or mite infested. The prices seemed fine to me since I got all mine on sale. Even normal prices from a breeder though would probably be about the same with shipping thrown in. Each individual store from both chains is different. Some have been neat(for a chain store) while others aren't incredibly well done.

Thanks

Ok, I know this is an old thread but I'm new here, and I just bought a (half price, $39) ball python from petsmart last night. It must vary from store to store, because the girl who helped me to set up the snake's kit was super helpful, admitted she was afraid of snakes and still made 100% sure I was able and ready to take on the responsibility of said cuddly creature. The snake (now named Hecate) is the sweetest thing I've ever held, and I'm not usually a snake person. More of a rat person. Hecate was bought as a gift for my fiance (knowing full well I would be the one taking care of her, no worries) and I know he is going to absolutely adore her. The girl was even nice enough to take my panicked phone call right before closing because the snake was curled around the tanks thermometer! (yes i know i'm silly but she was throwing off the tanks readings). She seems completely healthy, I spent all day yesterday going over forums, and care guides, and blogs, (continuing to do so now, obviously). In truth this is a petsmart I would love to work at, I walked around while I waited for someone able to help me with the python and every animal seemed active, healthy, and no cage was over crowded. Not even the fish!!! Which i have never seen at a chain pet store.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    From what I understand, quality can vary drastically from one location to another. It, sadly, depends greatly on the management of that particular store. Unfortunately, if you bought your entire set-up there, that day, you're probably in for lots and lots of headaches. First off, they are a business, in business to SELL to the consumer. You will quickly find that most of the equipment they sell there will need to be upgraded because it's junk. Also, are you running a thermostat to monitor your heating equipment? I could be wrong, but I believe most chain store don't even sell them.
    You very well could have gotten a great snake, but just because it's not biting or trying to tag you doesn't mean it's healthy. Did you check the animal over for visible health?
    Don't be discouraged if you run into some headaches, just be prepared. This forum is great and people are truly here to help. The love of the animals is top-priority, and that shows in the members willingness to share their time and knowledge.
    Good luck with your new snake!!!

Thanks

The only problem Iv'e had so far is the girl sold me the wrong tank clips, it might have been because I was badgering her about the pythons feeding schedule. I did ask about her health, and was told she eats regularly, is very active (proven since I brought her home) and a friendly reptile. I looked Hecate over, she has no weird spots on her, her eyes are clear, the only problem is shes is really quite strong. Which, when i replace the clips, will not be a problem (I hope) =D I really like this local Petsmart, and I don't normally say that about chain pet shops. There was a really nice pet shop in Ohio, by Wooster, but I think they got shut down because the woman running it got overwhelmed.
    Edit: Forgot to mention, yes she had me pick out a decent thermometer =D
    Last edited by m3gz; 03-24-2017 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer one of the questions.
    I'm new! If you have advice, I welcome your input and appreciate it as well!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m3gz View Post
    The only problem Iv'e had so far is the girl sold me the wrong tank clips, it might have been because I was badgering her about the pythons feeding schedule. I did ask about her health, and was told she eats regularly, is very active (proven since I brought her home) and a friendly reptile. I looked Hecate over, she has no weird spots on her, her eyes are clear, the only problem is shes is really quite strong. Which, when i replace the clips, will not be a problem (I hope) =D I really like this local Petsmart, and I don't normally say that about chain pet shops. There was a really nice pet shop in Ohio, by Wooster, but I think they got shut down because the woman running it got overwhelmed.
    Edit: Forgot to mention, yes she had me pick out a decent thermometer =D

Ok, the wrong clips is an easy fix. Is the thermometer digital with a probe? What about a hygrometer? Thermostat? Temp gun?
    Unfortunately, active in the store is not a good indicator. Those animals are stressed from poor husbandry, high-traffic, no hides (a half log is not a good hide for a BP), etc... so they tend to be active because they can't find a spot they feel safe in.
    I'm guessing this is a juvenile BP, which means she will get MUCH, MUCH stronger.
    What size prey has she been eating? What did they sell you for prey? When did she eat last? Has she refused meals?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Kira (03-24-2017),rock (03-24-2017)

Thanks

She's a lot less than 2 feet long, the thermometer reads both humidity and temperature (when shes not curled around it...) its the one that sticks to the inside of the tank, I've been looking into other potential necessaries and a temp gun did come up, I've actually got a notepad list going at the moment haha. She has a daytime/nighttime lamp, water dish, hidey log, (which she finally decided she liked once she shoved it back against the tank wall) and aspen bedding. The girl told me she was fed yesterday and she eats one mouse a week. She handed me a copy of their feeding schedule, which was helpful, and as for their tanks there she had to dig for the snake to see if she was still in there. LOTS of fake plants, when i walked up i was like "Dang, She sold already." lol They were out of the mice and told me to come back tomorrow (which it looks like id have to do anyway, thanks to those clips) but she said shes been on a diet of frozen arctic pinkie mice. She really is quite a small snake, I have no idea how shes getting the stuff off of her tank. The other thing on my to-get list tomorrow is a heat mat, since they inconveniently forgot to tell me about it. Possibly a different hidey hole since she wasnt too fond of the log. I DID get another container in which to feed her since they recommended i not do it in her normal habitat. Not sure if that was just their way of making me spend an extra 20 or not but meh, if it helps her its worth it.

Sorry for the long reply, she escaped again.
    I'm new! If you have advice, I welcome your input and appreciate it as well!

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m3gz View Post
    She's a lot less than 2 feet long, the thermometer reads both humidity and temperature (when shes not curled around it...) its the one that sticks to the inside of the tank, I've been looking into other potential necessaries and a temp gun did come up, I've actually got a notepad list going at the moment haha. She has a daytime/nighttime lamp, water dish, hidey log, (which she finally decided she liked once she shoved it back against the tank wall) and aspen bedding. The girl told me she was fed yesterday and she eats one mouse a week. She handed me a copy of their feeding schedule, which was helpful, and as for their tanks there she had to dig for the snake to see if she was still in there. LOTS of fake plants, when i walked up i was like "Dang, She sold already." lol They were out of the mice and told me to come back tomorrow (which it looks like id have to do anyway, thanks to those clips) but she said shes been on a diet of frozen arctic pinkie mice. She really is quite a small snake, I have no idea how shes getting the stuff off of her tank. The other thing on my to-get list tomorrow is a heat mat, since they inconveniently forgot to tell me about it. Possibly a different hidey hole since she wasnt too fond of the log. I DID get another container in which to feed her since they recommended i not do it in her normal habitat. Not sure if that was just their way of making me spend an extra 20 or not but meh, if it helps her its worth it.

Sorry for the long reply, she escaped again.
    Ok let me try and make this as headache-free as I can for you. You are a new owner so I understand listening to the employee with your first snake, but she sold ya down the river unfortunately....

Those thermometers they sell are analog, and worthless. They are off by as bad as 10-12 degrees all the time. You need a good digital thermometer, and acurite makes a few that measure the humidity as well. They need to be digital in order to be fairly accurate.

A pinkie mouse for even a newborn BP is bordering on way too small. Your snake will be on rat pups sooner rather than later so you need to ditch going to that store and go somewhere that will sell you frozen rats. most petsmarts/petcos have frozen rats at an OUTRAGEOUS price and will not sell you live animals for food.

A light is ok initially but you'll want to look into getting a thermostat (spyder robotics and reptile basics both have good ones) and an undertank heater, one of the stick on ones will work but you NEED a thermostat with any heat source. Like I said those stick on thermometers you have are useless and the temp is most likely way higher than it should be.

As stated above an active BP is generally not a good sign unless its in the evening. They are nocturnal, they shouldn't be roaming their enclosures in the day time ever. "A hiding ball is a happy ball".

BP's like a hide on both the hot side and cool side of their tank. They shouldn't have to choose between safety and thermo regulating. Hot side should be right around 90 degrees, and the ambient and cool sides should be hovering around 80ish degrees.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

Kira (03-24-2017),PitOnTheProwl (03-24-2017),rock (03-24-2017)

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast