Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,169

2 members and 3,167 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Being fair about PetSmart (and buying your ball python from them)

Quote Originally Posted by predatorkeeper87 View Post
    some people believe BP's require sunlight exposure (UVB) like a lot of other reptiles. This is simply not the case as they can go their entire lives in the wild never having seen direct sunlight. I had this argument with an "exotics" vet the other week...he more or less shamed me for not having a UVB on my ball python, and I simply told him they are nocturnal, there is zero need for one lol.

If BPs required sunlight, why do they spend almost their ENTIRE lives buried and hiding during the day, sometimes for several days at a time?!?!?!?! I can't believe a vet told you that, especially an "exotics" vet!!! That is reptile 101 in vet school, or even just for reptile keepers. m3gz learned that snakes are nocturnal in one night of cramming, this VET couldn't learn atht snakes don't need UVB light in 6 years of school?????

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by m3gz View Post
    yea i was looking at that ultratherm thing and the thermostats they have listed with it, its pretty worth it. And tbh i didnt know snakes were nocturnal lol. So...using this as notepad since its here, mice, heatpad, thermometers, thermostat. Why do i feel like im forgetting something important?
    infrared temp gun
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 03-24-2017 at 09:29 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

rock (03-24-2017)

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    If BPs required sunlight, why do they spend almost their ENTIRE lives buried and hiding during the day, sometimes for several days at a time?!?!?!?! I can't believe a vet told you that, especially an "exotics" vet!!! That is reptile 101 in vet school, or even just for reptile keepers. m3gz learned that snakes are nocturnal in one night of cramming, this VET couldn't learn atht snakes don't need UVB light in 6 years of school?????

- - - Updated - - -

infrared temp gun
    what I think happened was he pursued an exotics portion of veterinary care on his own after going through vet school, kind of a general overview more than species specific...I have no doubts he's a good vet, but an exotics vet he ain't lol.

Thanks

That and clamps! Thanks xD.....how am i gonna get to the store when she keeps escaping
    I'm new! If you have advice, I welcome your input and appreciate it as well!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by predatorkeeper87 View Post
    what I think happened was he pursued an exotics portion of veterinary care on his own after going through vet school, kind of a general overview more than species specific...I have no doubts he's a good vet, but an exotics vet he ain't lol.

No, he ain't. But even a Vet with a common practice should know that. I mean come on. If animals are your life and your livelihood, I would think you would know basics. And that's pretty basic. I mean, you have a practice, you see "exotic" pets, know a little something. It's a BALL PYTHON for crying out loud!! The most common pet snake in the world! It's not like I'm showing up with a random Boomslang or some other rare pet snake.

Banned
    Thanks

That and clamps! Thanks xD.....how am i gonna get to the store when she keeps escaping
    Maybe put her in the container she was sold to you in, put that in the enclosure? Depends what they sent her home with you in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    No, he ain't. But even a Vet with a common practice should know that. I mean come on. If animals are your life and your livelihood, I would think you would know basics. And that's pretty basic. I mean, you have a practice, you see "exotic" pets, know a little something. It's a BALL PYTHON for crying out loud!! The most common pet snake in the world! It's not like I'm showing up with a random Boomslang or some other rare pet snake.
    believe me lol I wanted to argue with him until he called the police but I tipped my cap, took the antibiotics he gave me as my little BP at the time had a massive eye infection, and left lol. I found a new guy who while not as thorough as I think I'd like is still miles ahead of the other fellow. He's at least treated BPs, boas etc and while a little oldschool still knows the species much better.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-24-2017)

Thanks

Halfway home she wormed her way outta the airholes in their little travel box x.x she was on my neck the rest of the way, freaking out my mother-in-law.

I used to want to be a vet, but im squeamish, and i cant handle seeing an animal die.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to m3gz For This Useful Post:

predatorkeeper87 (03-24-2017)

Thanks

I would put her in a tote with a locking lid if you have one, with a blanket or something to hide under. Then stack something extremely heavy on it.

Thanks

come to think of it, i may have an old box from the coffeepot...dont think theres any holes in it...brb

Banned
    Thanks
    I would use a Tupperware or something with a lid that can be sealed. Poke a few pinholes in it if need be... Just saw PredatorKeeper beat me to the punch

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

predatorkeeper87 (03-24-2017)

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast