Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,411

4 members and 2,407 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Troublesom RI. danofloxacin questions

I recieved a shipment from someone on this site that was not as advertised, and now all of the snakes that were in my quarentine room have contracted it. I have dealt many times with RI and have had good luck most times with Baytril and Pen G combo. However, with this strain it seemed to do nothing and it has spread like wildfire through my balls, though none of the colubrids or boas seem to be particularly succeptable to it.

I had a check from a vet that said a combo of baytril and fortaz would be the best. I have now done my 4th series with that combination and had the same result: it appears to go away for a month or so and then it is back in full form.

My temps are 92 hot side and 82-84 cool side. A few of the snakes are unfortunately having to be co-habitated. Water is provided at all times and kept clean, cages are cleaned weekly with Novasan.

I have talked to a friend of mine who suggested danofloxacin. My understanding is that it is in the same family as the baytril, but more effective and given the previous vet recomendation I thought it made sense. Any other suggestions or meds that you have tried with success? This is by FAR the most troublesome strain that I have ever dealt with and any help is much appreciated. Also, would you recomend dosing the danofloxacin along with the Fortaz?

Also, dosing questions. All of what I can find is for cattle. I did find one website http://www.prestigepythons.com/vet-information.php#ri. That gave me a dose of 5mg/kg SC eod. However, it does not list the duration. The bottle recomends dosing every 48 hrs for two series. However, found another site from some sort of cattle advisory commitee (can't find the site again unfortunately) that recomended daily dose for 5 days. Any help clearing this up would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Roger Prows
    Rockstar Pets

Thanks,

Roger prows
    Rockstar Pets

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Troublesom RI. danofloxacin questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar Reptiles View Post
    I recieved a shipment from someone on this site that was not as advertised, and now all of the snakes that were in my quarentine room have contracted it. I have dealt many times with RI and have had good luck most times with Baytril and Pen G combo. However, with this strain it seemed to do nothing and it has spread like wildfire through my balls, though none of the colubrids or boas seem to be particularly succeptable to it.

I had a check from a vet that said a combo of baytril and fortaz would be the best. I have now done my 4th series with that combination and had the same result: it appears to go away for a month or so and then it is back in full form.

My temps are 92 hot side and 82-84 cool side. A few of the snakes are unfortunately having to be co-habitated. Water is provided at all times and kept clean, cages are cleaned weekly with Novasan.

I have talked to a friend of mine who suggested danofloxacin. My understanding is that it is in the same family as the baytril, but more effective and given the previous vet recomendation I thought it made sense. Any other suggestions or meds that you have tried with success? This is by FAR the most troublesome strain that I have ever dealt with and any help is much appreciated. Also, would you recomend dosing the danofloxacin along with the Fortaz?

Also, dosing questions. All of what I can find is for cattle. I did find one website http://www.prestigepythons.com/vet-information.php#ri. That gave me a dose of 5mg/kg SC eod. However, it does not list the duration. The bottle recomends dosing every 48 hrs for two series. However, found another site from some sort of cattle advisory commitee (can't find the site again unfortunately) that recomended daily dose for 5 days. Any help clearing this up would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Roger Prows
    Rockstar Pets

Thanks,

Roger prows
    Rockstar Pets
    Roger:

Has the infection been cultured yet?

I had it prescribed in the past as Advocin and if memory serves the dosage was a 5mg/kg subcutaneous injection every other day for 3 days.

I know it's used in cattle and poultry. If you can't get a vet to clear up the dosage guidelines, I'd try to find out what the poultry duration of treatment is.

FWIW, Advocin did jack squat for the outbreak I had and the duration was doubled. Ceftazidime eventually cleared it up after a proper culture identified the strain and it's susceptibility.

Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Rockstar Reptiles (06-27-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Roger:

Has the infection been cultured yet?

I had it prescribed in the past as Advocin and if memory serves the dosage was a 5mg/kg subcutaneous injection every other day for 3 days.

I know it's used in cattle and poultry. If you can't get a vet to clear up the dosage guidelines, I'd try to find out what the poultry duration of treatment is.

FWIW, Advocin did jack squat for the outbreak I had and the duration was doubled. Ceftazidime eventually cleared it up after a proper culture identified the strain and it's susceptibility.

Good luck.
    It has been cultured. I was told to use baytril and fortaz which helped, but after 2 series did not get rid of it. That isn't good news about its ineffectivness, I had to order an entire bottle as my vet didn't have it, 175.00!

Maybe I will just have to keep trying the ceftazidime, it seems to have done the best job of anything.

Thanks,

Roger Prows

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

..that and it's not a fluoroquinolone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    ..that and it's not a fluoroquinolone.
    Thanks again, hopefully this will work. I am in to this about 8 months and after meds and vet bills, some where around 500.00 cause that jerk sent me sick snakes.

Thanks
    Update-

After the 3rd injection it seemed to do nothing, but within about 2 days of the last injection it was completely gone, and they have been clean ever since, so I ended up having a pretty good experience when all was said and done.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar Reptiles View Post
    Update-

After the 3rd injection it seemed to do nothing, but within about 2 days of the last injection it was completely gone, and they have been clean ever since, so I ended up having a pretty good experience when all was said and done.
    so what was it that finally worked?