Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

3 members and 3,193 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My BP!!!!

Thanks

Re: My BP!!!!

You shouldn't be lifting a blood by the tail like that. That might be why she was cranky, plus she's new and insecure. In a week she might have an entirely different attitude. On handling, bloods need a lot of support because they are very terrestrial animals, and their bodies are just so heavy. They won't coil around you for support like a ball python would. Also, some bloods get nippy when they get touched anywhere near their tail, so you might have one of those. Don't try "taming her down" until you've had her for at least a week, or that's just going to overstress her.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tikall View Post
    You shouldn't be lifting a blood by the tail like that. That might be why she was cranky, plus she's new and insecure. In a week she might have an entirely different attitude. On handling, bloods need a lot of support because they are very terrestrial animals, and their bodies are just so heavy. They won't coil around you for support like a ball python would. Also, some bloods get nippy when they get touched anywhere near their tail, so you might have one of those. Don't try "taming her down" until you've had her for at least a week, or that's just going to overstress her.
    Yeah I realize now that was a mistake. even for lifting her sor less than a minute I probably should have lifted her with more support.

Also, on saturday/sunday itll be about 9 days ive had her. I may wait longer because ive been doing so much to the tank, from moving due to space issues to checking ground and air temps

Im trying to stop touching the tank entirely but its hard when the temps are either 4 degrees to high or 2 - 3 degrees to low

Humidity is good though!

Thanks

Yeah just be careful~. By 9 days and already having eaten she's probably adjusting fine. She may still be afraid of you though so keep any handling short for a while. And don't grab her tail.

If temps are swinging that much have you considered a tub? That could prove to be more stable. That's actually a lot of variance considering 78-83 is pretty acceptable. Yours is really swinging between 75 and 87 degrees?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tikall View Post
    Yeah just be careful~. By 9 days and already having eaten she's probably adjusting fine. She may still be afraid of you though so keep any handling short for a while. And don't grab her tail.

If temps are swinging that much have you considered a tub? That could prove to be more stable. That's actually a lot of variance considering 78-83 is pretty acceptable. Yours is really swinging between 75 and 87 degrees?
    Well ambient temps are VERY stable. Never above 83 and never below 78.

Ground temps I have only started to see yesterday because I bought the probe for one of the digital thermometers I got

Thats when I discovered it was 85 - 87 (87 in the side she was in, 85 in the one she wasn't in)

At this VERY moment, I have the probe (which is most likely inacurate seeing as after reading the instructions tells me that its not acurate unless you suspend it by 1 inch above when you want to measure) under/ a little bit inside her hide

and its reading 78.6 - 79. So thats much better. and thats with only the heat lamp on. If I want to raise that temp I can because I put up 5 nails to control the heat lamp without a 2nd thermostat

And the thermomstat I have wotn work cuz its an On/off but the nails are working pretty good

And ofcourse, when I start handling her it will be short, and no more handling by the tail lol!

edit:

about the tub, currently I dont have the money to buy one. Unfortunatly it looks like she is going to have to out grow the tank before I will have any money that I can use for myself

Long story short, parents have financial problems and im giving some help. Im hoping to find a second job though

so we'll see
    Last edited by MikeV; 06-23-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks

Wewt!

I just switched her to newspaper. Had to hold her twice (once out the tanl, once in) and she didnt even curl up to strike!

I must be doing something right lol! (only sayin this because I always feel im doing something wrong with snakes lol)

Thanks

ask around maybe some one will have something suitable in a tub locally to where you live, parents often use them for putting kids toys in and various stuff you may strike lucky.

You want to get rid of the glass tank asap and get a tub and life will become much easier to control.

maybe a member on here might have a spare wonthurt to ask around.
    There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakey68 View Post
    ask around maybe some one will have something suitable in a tub locally to where you live, parents often use them for putting kids toys in and various stuff you may strike lucky.

You want to get rid of the glass tank asap and get a tub and life will become much easier to control.

maybe a member on here might have a spare wonthurt to ask around.
    Alright ill check it out!

Im actually going to get over to walmart today so I can see what they have

Thanks!

Thanks

Hey guys. I am going to be going to pick up some food for my blood on Friday. She is currently on large mice

I want her to get on rats NOW to make my life easier for the future. What size rat is equal to a large mouse? Thanks.

(actually to be honest, I dont know if it was a large mouse I fed her. Lets say medium to large)
    Last edited by MikeV; 06-23-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks

Id give that snake a weaned rat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2kdime View Post
    Id give that snake a weaned rat
    Okaie dokie! Will do!

Gonna head up to the store friday and pick them up if they have them. I called in and the guy really didn't know, said they had large, medium ect rats. So imma have to go in and check myself

edit: (what I mean by he didnt know was that I dont think he actually looked in the freezer lol!)

Thanks!
    Last edited by MikeV; 06-23-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast