Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,441

2 members and 3,439 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Need Help finding supplier

So here is my problem... I live in a small town that has 2 pet shops... both do relatively well, but a clean store with good customer service could blow their doors off. I know the people that run both stores and consider them to be friends to some extent. After the owner of one of the stores offered it to me for sale and things just didn't work out, I have decided to try to start my own store. A pet shop that is ran what i believe to be proper, a store that gives sound advice, and isn't afraid to turn down a sale for the sake of the animal. A store that is fun for people of all ages, that is clean and kind and has reasonable prices. The problem I am having is both of the other stores use the same supplier, I need to find somewhere else to get my merchandise, from feeders, to pets, and supplies. I cannot compete as well if we are using the same middle man. Any one in the TX, OK,NM,CO or AZ area (basically south west I am in Eastern NM and supplier that stocks other 2 stores comes from Oklahoma City) that run local pet shops or know who their general supplier is please chime in. Any help is greatly appreciated

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Need Help finding supplier

Why not be your own supplier? If you're going to have a building built for this project then include a room for breeding feeders and possibly you're own BP's or Boa's or whatever your planning to sell as pet's.

Thanks

Producing my own reptiles is part of the plan.... I need a supplier for alot of the other things.... fish, feeders, cute and fuzzies birds ect.... and supplies

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Well as far as feeders wise, I think that could be your point of attack for getting the better of the competition if they both use middle men. Breeding your own feeders should be cheaper then buying from a middle guy.

Thanks

Breeding feeders isn't a difficult task when you are talking about mice and rats and even feeder fish like guppies.

I've never bred roaches, crickets, or chicks so I cannot comment there, but I can't imagine the first two being too difficult.

If you need some back stock for when you are setting up the feeders to breed you should consider ordering frozen stock in bulk from any one of the many online breeders.

I personally swear by micedirect.com , but feel free to check others.

By offering a variety of potential feeders you could win over some pet owners.

You will probably make the highest margins on feeders and accessories. So I would contact many suppliers and wholesalers and negotiate a pricing structure. Also consider having certain products produced for you.

There are many suppliers in Asia who are ready willing and able to make cheap products of the same quality as those sold here in the states. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you found some who were making the actual products in petco, etc.

Anyway, I hope this information helps. I'm new to the forum but not to business, if you need help feel free to drop me a pm.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjmitchell View Post
    So here is my problem... I live in a small town that has 2 pet shops... both do relatively well, but a clean store with good customer service could blow their doors off. I know the people that run both stores and consider them to be friends to some extent. After the owner of one of the stores offered it to me for sale and things just didn't work out, I have decided to try to start my own store. A pet shop that is ran what i believe to be proper, a store that gives sound advice, and isn't afraid to turn down a sale for the sake of the animal. A store that is fun for people of all ages, that is clean and kind and has reasonable prices. The problem I am having is both of the other stores use the same supplier, I need to find somewhere else to get my merchandise, from feeders, to pets, and supplies. I cannot compete as well if we are using the same middle man. Any one in the TX, OK,NM,CO or AZ area (basically south west I am in Eastern NM and supplier that stocks other 2 stores comes from Oklahoma City) that run local pet shops or know who their general supplier is please chime in. Any help is greatly appreciated
    I have succesfully run my own local pet store for 2 years now, and we are currently moving to a larger location already.

Let me ask you some things. First, what is your market? What is the size of the town? what is the demographic (average age, income, etc.)? How much money do you have to start up? Are the other 2 stores dog stores, feed stores, big boxers, etc? You need to choose your niche wisely and work VERY hard to educate yourself on EVERYTHING. Never interested in birds, or spiders, or whatever? Now you are!

Also, what is your personal financial situation? How long can you go without a check? How many hours can you work? How much do you need to make? Does your family need insurance? This is immensely important!

Take it slow, make a good business plan. If you want to provide me some of that information I can help you with some of the business plan projections. As far as suppliers, that is something I can help with but is really your last priority at this point in the game.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, I love to help those who are going to do it right