Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,951

0 members and 2,951 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Thanks

Re: Is this really a humane way to pre-kill?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Fobian View Post
    I take the mouse or rat in the tail and bang its head into something hard. This is very effective and fast! After this I pull head and spine apart to be 100% it is dead. I really don't think anyone can come up with a faster and more humane way - well maybe dynamite
    It's only effective if you manage to kill the mouse/rat in one swing.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ice#1 View Post
    i say I'm 37 cause here in a couple months is my birthday so technically I'm 26 3/4 so I'm closer to 37 then 36
    Yeah, my daughter is turning 9 next week. For the last month when people ask her how old she is she says she'll be 9 soon.

Me, being an adult, I just tell people how old I really am.

I would not argue religion or politics with you, no one should. Also, it's nice how you like to argue, but when I call you out on BS you neg rep me
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfreels View Post
    Yeah, my daughter is turning 9 next week. For the last month when people ask her how old she is she says she'll be 9 soon.

Me, being an adult, I just tell people how old I really am.

I would not argue religion or politics with you, no one should. Also, it's nice how you like to argue, but when I call you out on BS you neg rep me
    no i neg repped you cause after the first time you asked how i killed my snakes prey i answered. and you didn't take the time to read the response but think what you want it honestly don't matter to me one way or the other.

case in point i said way back on page 2 of this thread that i flip them in the head with my finger yet here we are on page 6 and your still asking how i kill there prey
    Last edited by ice#1; 08-01-2010 at 08:31 AM.
    i just like to argue and get you riled up dont take it to mean i dont like you or what I'm agueing about. I'm doing it for the joy of argueing dont anybody like good old fashion debates

Thanks

look 7th paragraph down where it say i myself and you will see copy and pasted even the post number of the response it was in saying how i pre kill

#17 - Add Post To Favorites
    ice#1

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
    ice#1 is off to a great start

OK on a quick search of just that found that allot of govs say it is OK but aint it our same government who lies to us about many other things check this out dentist say use fluoride to strengthen teeth now go look at ingredients of mouse and rat poison why does it have fluoride in it are we trying to strengthen the rats and mice teeth with poisons no fluoride is a chemical by product and is even fatal with long term higher doses (food and drug admin know this but still condone it's use)

check this link out different but a guy who goes against government thinking of using fuoride in water is a bad idea since fluoride is a poison
    http://www.drkaslow.com/html/fluoride.html
    med research proving fluoride added to water bad tons of info in this link
    http://www.lovethetruth.com/truth_about_fluoride.htm

ok so what does all this got to do with c02 well if what we have said for many years after supposedly studding fluoride in water before it could be used ie the same process they used more or less for determining c02 was safe and human i got to disagree look at what they supposedly done by mistake to humans cause god only know how many to get cancer or long term poisoning deaths world wide i mean come on the let the fertilizer industry dump there waste off into our bodies and you think these same people care if an animal suffers while it is asleep come on open your eyes they are just finding ways to use what c02 they can

I'm in a town where they are putting a plant thats by product is c02 that they plan on pumping the c02 into the ground so our town as a whole has done tons of research of c02 and dieing from it and i must say when you talk to a vet that uses c02 to kill there old pets or put down strays if they aint being paid to say it is humane they dont say it is those people that say it is humane is paid to say that they dont get paid if they dont say what is wanted of them to say. Our town does injections cause they tried the c02 and they said there was tons more movement then before they switched from injections to gassing and they stated that on record in a town meeting

go ask your doc how humane he would think it to be if you killed yourself by c02 guess what he will say (explain to him your just doing a study cause they say it is humane to kill animals that away) and I'll bet he will tell you it aint a good way to die.

anyway you look at it it's not humane look at people who choose to kill themselves in there garage with car running(if you've read any reports even thought they were trying to kill themselves there bodies natural instinct to survive kicked in and most the time it is to late they still die) that does the exact same thing it don't crush you to keep you from expelling c02 it makes it so no-matter how much 02 is in the air your body can't take it in.
    now push all the 02 out of a bucket and nothing but c02 is there then your body no-matter how hard it tries can draw 02 in you know the real reason people use c02 is? They aint got the stomach to watch the animal die thats it no ifs ands or buts about it

i myself flip my mice in the back of the head with my finger for rats i smack with a pencil then give them to my snakes on tongs so they grab head first so in-case the mouse or rat is just knocked out the snake aint covering it's mouth so it ends up getting bitten. I tried with out offering tongs before and mice and rats dont always die just get knocked out and would come threw part the way threw constriction and bite and chew on the snake when just throwing the mouse or rat on cage floor.
    i just like to argue and get you riled up dont take it to mean i dont like you or what I'm agueing about. I'm doing it for the joy of argueing dont anybody like good old fashion debates

Thanks

I'll +rep anyone who admits that they read that the first time. I didn't even read it the second time, but as you suggested, I looked at the 7th paragraph

BTW, it's not nice to lie about how you kill your animals, even if you're just "joking". One day your post may show up on google for someone. We wouldn't want people to get the wrong impression.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks

i never said i shot with bb gun. i said just get a bb gun and shot them in the head. you guys just assumed i meant i shot mine in the head with a bb gun. cause you missed the part where i said i flip them in back of the head. if i rember right in the same response where i said just get bb gun and shot. i said later in that post that i flipped them in the back of the head but people were so picky about me saying that they missed the part where i said i flipped them in the head.

also a question has anybody seen the link to using c02 and o2 together to do the kills i seen it once on Google but aint been able to find it since it said it is an even more humane way then plain c02 by itself or something like that.

did find this over at kingsnake.com when looking again for that link was talking about. but AVMA panel that says only acceptable way to do c02 humanely is with a tank and regulator that dry ice is unacceptable form and not humane as you can't control the flow

Guidelines for Performing Euthanasia via C02
    For rodent species, CO2 is an acceptable form of euthanasia when used under the following guidelines:

We do not recommend prefilling (precharging) the euthanasia chamber with CO2, since high concentrations (>70%) can cause nasal irritation and excitability. Rather, the animals should first be placed into the chamber, followed by the addition of CO2 at a low flow rate (20% of the chamber volume per minute) to complete the process. Rapid gas flows should be avoided since excessive noises ("winds") can develop and induce excitement/distress in the animals.

Place the animals into the chamber and turn the red lever until you hear gas flowing at a low rate.

Gas flow should be maintained for at least 1 minute after apparent clinical death (approximately 5 minutes total). A timer should be used to ensure adequate length of exposure.

It is important to confirm that an animal is dead after removing it from the chamber. This may be accomplished by assuring lack of heartbeat or by performing cervical dislocation following CO2 narcosis or creation of a pneumothorax following CO2 narcosis.

According to the 2000 Report of the AVMA Panel on Euthanasia, "Compressed CO2 gas in cylinders is the only recommended source of carbon dioxide because the inflow to the chamber can be regulated precisely. CO2 generated by other methods such as from dry ice, fire extinguishers, or chemical means (e.g. antacids) is unacceptable."

Only one species at a time should be placed into a chamber, and the chambers must not be overcrowded. Animals must meet the minimum space requirements listed in the "GUIDE" up until the time of euthanasia. When placed into the chamber, all animals must have floor space.

Euthanasia should always be done in cohorts (live animals should not be placed in the chamber with dead animals).

Chambers should be kept clean to minimize odors that might distress animals prior to euthanasia.

Animals must not be euthanized in animal housing rooms, except under special circumstances such as during quarantine for infectious disease agents.

Neonates: Since the time period for euthanasia is substantially prolonged in neonatal rodents (rodents 13-16 days) inherent resistance to hypoxia, CO2 narcosis must be followed by decapitation after the animals lose consciousness.

so from this i have somewhat changed my mind on c02 used to kill being humane if you follow the guidelines

so see this whole round of arguing could of been avoided if somebody who supposedly read the guidelines would of posted them and not just said it is humane cause they say so as fallowing the guidelines to me seems like it would be very simple get you a regulator and a c02 tester to set your regulator up before any animals are put into the chamber

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfreels View Post
    I'll +rep anyone who admits that they read that the first time. I didn't even read it the second time, but as you suggested, I looked at the 7th paragraph

BTW, it's not nice to lie about how you kill your animals, even if you're just "joking". One day your post may show up on google for someone. We wouldn't want people to get the wrong impression.
    I don't read any of their stuff to be honest. Can't understand it.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Thanks

i read it the first time lol

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456