Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,912

0 members and 2,912 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Re: Is this really a humane way to pre-kill?

So much misinformation, sad.

co2 is the only way I'll put a rat to sleep.
    Nothing will sway me to bash a rat, dislocate it's spine, or shooting them with bb's

I feed live but do a few pre-kills now and then and also put down sick and dying rats with co2.

inhumane
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor porfiel.

this is a study Cambridge university did

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle@theHeathertoft View Post

Secondly..."supposedly studding fluoride?" I think an important Y got left out, and I find it a little amusing.

Thirdly...tinfoil, in hat form, srsly.
    read this
    http://www.doulton.ca/floride.html

secondly what you mean about tinfoil hat i don't get it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
    He was saying about "oh its more humane then co2" and i wasnt really sure
    I am in the camp that cervical dislocation is more humane than CO2 poisoning.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ghlight=cooler

Here is the easy and HUMANE way to do it.
    THAT is probably where people hear it's humane. That also makes me think that that specific tactic of it is, but I'm unsure just how many people do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreels View Post
    There are plenty of other videos that simply show them lying down and "falling asleep".
    I seem to fail at finding those. You or anyone else have some posted somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    I do the keyboard cleaner and freezer bag thing. But then I only have 1 snake that eats pre-kill (but then now he eats frogs so I don't even have to do this anymore). A CO2 chamber for 1 rat is too much for me.

Put a rat in a small ziploc freezer bag (you can use regular storage bags but the freezer bag is thicker, just in case the rat decides to chew out before he sleeps), then zip the top leaving just enough space for the nozzle of the keyboard cleaner to go through. Stand the bag on a table or counter then squirt with keyboard cleaner. One full squirt is enough if you got one ASF in a quart-size bag. Zip it closed and wait about 3 minutes. If you open it too soon, the rat wakes up.

But, I think the most humane is to just let the snake kill the rat. Just be sure you are ready with the tongs in case the rat gets a chance at sinking a tooth into the snake.
    I never thought of that. However, isn't keyboard cleaner chemicals, and not Co2?

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    I am in the camp that cervical dislocation is more humane than CO2 poisoning.
    Same here, no matter how Co2 is done. It's not instantaneous like CD.

Thanks

OK i got a question. how is it these mice die if done properly with c02 aint they still suffocated? i mean you take the oxygen away whether awake or asleep. they are still suffocated to death. no way you word you took there oxygen away right? so you suffocated them to death

lil info about c02 concentrations and the effects it has before death occures
    # 1% can cause drowsiness with prolonged exposure.[5]
    # At 2% it is mildly narcotic and causes increased blood pressure and pulse rate, and causes reduced hearing.[47]
    # At about 5% it causes stimulation of the respiratory center, dizziness, confusion and difficulty in breathing accompanied by headache and shortness of breath.[47]. Panic attacks may also occur at this concentration.[49][50]
    # At about 8% it causes headache, sweating, dim vision, tremor and loss of consciousness after exposure for between five and ten minutes.

link this info came from
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide

OK so from this we can see it takes prolonger exposure for any of the results even death which they said in other section is around 10%. OK so look at what happens before 10% notice loss of consciousness dont occur till 8%. at 5% adverse side effects start to occur in the forms of dizziness confusion panic attacks difficulty in breathing. (if that happened to you wouldn't you be calling a doctor to be seen asap i know i would be) then at 8% before going to sleep we see it cuases headaches sweating then vision dims then loss of consciousness. then 10% is reached and after a few minute dies. i dont know the stuff that happens before loosing consciousness don't sound that humane to me (my personal opinion)

yeah that sounds humane to me now that i read that is all that is happening to them. cause hey one of the first effects is narcotic so they think they are happy.

my whole point of arguing this topic is suffocation is suffocation. and is suffocation considered humane? no by no means is suffocation considered humane. your just choosing to use it cause other people say it is cause supposedly the prey falls asleep before they die or suffer any but from the info i posted shows there is stuff happening that would make anything try to get away first. just cause the prey can't speak up and say hey get me out of hear or hey what happening to me don't make it humane. so with that reasoning why not just smack a sleeping mouse in the back of the head to kill it its asleep it wont feel it right its asleep just like using c02 to cuase an animal to suffer before it dies. (by suffering i mean it has panic attacks, headaches, difficulty in breathing, shortness of breath, tremors, dizziness, confusion)
    i just like to argue and get you riled up dont take it to mean i dont like you or what I'm agueing about. I'm doing it for the joy of argueing dont anybody like good old fashion debates

Thanks

Wikipedia is not a reliable source for info. It's humane because they don't know it happened.

Let me try again since you seem to not get it.

WHEN DONE PROPERLY THEY GO TO SLEEP FIRST, AND THEN THEY NEVER KNOW WHAT HITS THEM!

There is no pain, there is no snapping of a neck, it's just sleep and then bye bye. You know how they do lethal injection? They put you to sleep and then kill you. Same thing with the mice/rats.

It is, WHEN DONE PROPERLY, the absolute most humane way to kill them.
    D90 Gripped - 18-55mmVR - 70-300mm VR - SB-400

Thanks

So you've avoided my question for about the 6th time, ice. Personally, I'm starting to think you're a troll. Thanks for taking the tip on using punctuation. I still just skimmed over your posts, but I see commas and periods so I'm sure some people on the forum appreciate it.

Shenzi, review these videos. There are many more. Just do whatever search you did to find those other videos but ignore those couple results that you posted.

YouTube - Cheap Rat Gas Chamber
    YouTube - Approved Euthanasia Methods for Small Lab Animals: Tools and Techniques
    YouTube - Mouse CO2

Ice's comments above about it's effects are irrelevant because those are the effects on a HUMAN body.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I've seen the first one, and I posted the 3rd one as one of the ones I used to say Co2 gassing seems inhumane. Only the second one seemed humane.

Thanks

I've done CO2 with vinigar and baking soda. The mice pretty much try to get out of the zip lock baggy before falling over, breathing labored, and eventually dieing. Can take a good five minutes or so.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast