Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

2 members and 3,253 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suddent Death?

Thanks

Unhappy Suddent Death?

So I am on Vacation, and I had just left my little girl Pumpkin with my Grandparents for the weekend. And last night, m little girl just suddenly died. She was only a month and 12 days old.
    But I'm just wondering if it was like a birth defect or cancer that could of caused this, or a genetic that is passed down from the parents.
    I am almost devastated by this. I really loved her. D:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: Suddent Death?

Without a necropsy, it's almost impossible to say. At only 6 weeks old, it could be lots of things, but if she had been eating regularly, it's not as likely to be a birth defect or genetic. Cancer wouldn't seem to be an issue at such a young age either.

Most common cause for sudden death that I've seen has been overheating. In Florida we've been getting extremely hot lately, so you'd want to look at where the tank was, what sort of heat source were you using, etc. If the tank was where sunlight was hitting it, it could overheat very quickly. Yesterday here it was 100F, so that would have killed a baby ball if I had one without AC, for instance.

COULD it be something else? Of course. But you'd want to look at MOST LIKELY causes first. Just my opinion of course, but I don't know the particulars of your set up. What size enclosure, how often had she eaten, how were you heating it, was there AC/what was house temps, etc etc. But all of it would just be speculation, because I'm not there, didn't see the snake or set up or know what the ambiant area is like.

Sorry for your loss.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Without a necropsy, it's almost impossible to say. At only 6 weeks old, it could be lots of things, but if she had been eating regularly, it's not as likely to be a birth defect or genetic. Cancer wouldn't seem to be an issue at such a young age either.

Most common cause for sudden death that I've seen has been overheating. In Florida we've been getting extremely hot lately, so you'd want to look at where the tank was, what sort of heat source were you using, etc. If the tank was where sunlight was hitting it, it could overheat very quickly. Yesterday here it was 100F, so that would have killed a baby ball if I had one without AC, for instance.

COULD it be something else? Of course. But you'd want to look at MOST LIKELY causes first. Just my opinion of course, but I don't know the particulars of your set up. What size enclosure, how often had she eaten, how were you heating it, was there AC/what was house temps, etc etc. But all of it would just be speculation, because I'm not there, didn't see the snake or set up or know what the ambiant area is like.

Sorry for your loss.
    I live in Florida as well, but she is in the shade and her temp is only at 85-90, I never let it go up to 95 or higher. She just ate a fuzzy like two weeks before she died. She didn't take the other one that I gave her because she began to shed. And its a 20 long, and that big for a baby BP.

Registered User Animals As Leaders's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry about your loss, sometimes life just isn't fair...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Animals As Leaders For This Useful Post:

Less.pancakes (06-13-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

So sorry about your loss! Loosing any pet, new or old is always very hard.

If you ever decide to own a ball python again in the future, make sure all of your husbandry is spot on!

I also have a feeling it was heat related. Were you using digital thermometers?
    ~Steffe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    So sorry about your loss! Loosing any pet, new or old is always very hard.

If you ever decide to own a ball python again in the future, make sure all of your husbandry is spot on!

I also have a feeling it was heat related. Were you using digital thermometers?
    No I wasn't using a digital thermometer, I'm probably getting one soon though. Money is kind of hard right now.
    But do digital thermometers work better then original?

Thanks

I've heard of them being ten or more degrees off when checked with a digital or a temp gun. Maybe keep your setup as is if it won't affect your other snakes and see if that was an issue.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stevepoppers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Less.pancakes View Post
    No I wasn't using a digital thermometer, I'm probably getting one soon though. Money is kind of hard right now.
    But do digital thermometers work better then original?
    The difference between digital and analog thermometers is night and day. Many of those round dials are calibrated poorly and don't respond at all to temperature fluctuation. Thus making them up to 10* off in either direction.

Digital thermometers aren't expensive. Many users here (myself included) swear by the accurite digital weather station. It is sold at almost all home depots and walmarts and sometimes at lowes. It is generally around $10-12. It measures temperature with a probe and humidity and temperature at the unit making it an all in one device.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    The difference between digital and analog thermometers is night and day. Many of those round dials are calibrated poorly and don't respond at all to temperature fluctuation. Thus making them up to 10* off in either direction.

^^^I had a temp analog thermo and the difference was about 12 deg on either side...
    Digital thermometers aren't expensive. Many users here (myself included) swear by the accurite digital weather station. It is sold at almost all home depots and walmarts and sometimes at lowes. It is generally around $10-12. It measures temperature with a probe and humidity and temperature at the unit making it an all in one device.
    ^^^I bought that one to, It's pretty much dead on on the temps...Like he said, very IN-Expensive and reads Humidity/Hot/Cool...perfect all around device for the "tight wads"..(like myself)...Either way, DEFINATLY go Digital..Dont risk another life.

Sorry for your lose, I know the feeling and hate it.
    "I hate cold. I put on a sweater to eat ice cream sometimes." - Wolfy Hound

1.0 06 Pinstripe
    1.0 08 Spider
    0.1 05' 2300 gram Normal
    0.1 06' 1600+ gram Normal
    0.1 07' 1400gram Normal
    1.0 10' Black Pastel
    0.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts