Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,314

1 members and 3,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: More Trouble

Thanks

Re: More Trouble

Seems like an animal that wasn't getting the respect it deserves. I guess you have to be drunk to be killed by a 25lbs constrictor right? Im not saying Boas pose a threat but havent recent events shown their dangerous potential? This guy could of only had seconds to react. If you get complacent with 25lbs of snake around your neck it doesnt matter if its a Red Tail or a Corn snake. It just seems that because its a "Boa" you should take no precautions. But its just an observation...

Thanks

I emailed them yesterday about having the improper photo and they got back to me this morning and said they changed it.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

The article's photo has been changed, looks much more appropriate now.

It really is terrible that this happened, especially now.

I've had a ball python squeeze my arm hard enough to cut off blood flow.

Perhaps this poor fellow wasn't just asphyxiated, but also had his carotid artery pinched. That can put you down pretty darned quick. The neck is such a vulnerable area, and that's a lot of muscle to be applied there pretty suddenly.

People really DO underestimate the strength of constrictors--obviously, even keepers underestimate it.

Try to remember that a fully grown green anaconda can actually break all of your ribs, and your shoulders...not just suffocate you. 90 PSI force is applied. Imagine that applied evenly around your neck--I don't care if you are Hulk Hogan, you need help.

In order to unwrap a snake from your neck, you have to be conscious. If they hit the right spot, and squeeze with the right amount of pressure, you won't be.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Strangled by his red tailed boa.

Quote Originally Posted by Animals As Leaders View Post
    Alright, I wasn't going post anything on this but I'm going to.

To those who don't think that a RTB could kill a human being I think your nuts. 25lbs of muscle? Its not just a bicep, its a snake that can wrap itself completely around your neck and then squeeze, which they are made to do. 25lbs of a perfect squeezing machine around your neck I'm pretty sure can KILL you. I had my one BIG BP around my neck once and I let her go all the way around while I was walking around my house. The second I realized was the second I felt something very scary. She began to move herself I think around my neck and in order for her to do that she needed to squeeze and let me tell you It was like a sleeper hold. I panicked to be honest, but I knew how to remove the snake without causing it harm or myself. I can only imagine a rtb getting around my neck and then squeezing. I think people underestimate the squeezing power snakes have.
    And I think you are DRASTICALLY overstating the dangers. Boas are no more dangerous today then they have been for the last few thousand years. And despite many tens of thousands being kept by private individuals in this country alone, there has now been ONE death attributed to them? I have a few boas myself, one of quite a good size and I fed her and cleaned her cage all by myself the other day. Since then I have engaged in several behaviors that are statistically FAR more dangerous. Including such death defying feats such as 'driving to work', 'cleaning my garage', 'taking a shower', and of course 'eating at McDonalds'
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

Crazy4Herps (06-11-2010),Mike Cavanaugh (06-11-2010),minguss (06-11-2010),xdeus (06-11-2010)

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Animals As Leaders View Post
    To those who don't think that a RTB could kill a human being I think your nuts. 25lbs of muscle? Its not just a bicep, its a snake that can wrap itself completely around your neck and then squeeze, which they are made to do. 25lbs of a perfect squeezing machine around your neck I'm pretty sure can KILL you. I had my one BIG BP around my neck once and I let her go all the way around while I was walking around my house. The second I realized was the second I felt something very scary. She began to move herself I think around my neck and in order for her to do that she needed to squeeze and let me tell you It was like a sleeper hold. I panicked to be honest, but I knew how to remove the snake without causing it harm or myself. I can only imagine a rtb getting around my neck and then squeezing. I think people underestimate the squeezing power snakes have.
    If you honestly and truly feel you were put in a sleeper hold by a BP... and it made you panic, I honestly don't think there is anything I can say to make you understand what I am trying explain.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
    Having loved snakes all my life, and doing massive amounts of research on many large pythons/boas ect, I think you are very correct

Now, I dont know that much to be honest. Ill always be learning but from what ive seen snakes 8 feet plus can crash with the equal of a car sitting on your chest

or in this case... your neck

Bigger snakes like 10ft+ have been recorded constricting with the equal to a school bus sititting on your chest, again, in this case its the neck
    I would love to see your references on this. Please share.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    If you honestly and truly feel you were put in a sleeper hold by a BP... and it made you panic, I honestly don't think there is anything I can say to make you understand what I am trying explain.

I would love to see your references on this. Please share.
    National geographic or Animal planet, forget what it was, Did a test. They took a 10 - 15 ft snake (forget which type, and forget the exact size) But it did a certain amount of PSI which constricting a prey item (with sensors on it to measure PSI ect)

which they converted to saying "this amount of PSI crushing you would be like this car, or that bus" ect ect

So they convert it to make it more understandable to people who dont really understand PSI. to me saying, "this much PSI would be affecting you" I think... "okay.." but if you say

"This PSI = equal to a bus on you = bad" I get it a lot more

Im sure you could find a clip on this, infact im going to search for it

BRB

Found it

at the end it shows you the Bus comparison, now that snake may be over 15 feet, which is why i never claimed to be spot on with my numbers, as i said, i dont know how large it was.

YouTube - Anaconda crushing force at 90psi?
    Last edited by MikeV; 06-11-2010 at 10:55 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeV For This Useful Post:

Mike Cavanaugh (06-11-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've seen that video before and while it's very impressive, remember that they're testing an anaconda not a boa constrictor. As big as boas can get, anacondas can get immensely bigger and more powerful. That's not even comparing apples to oranges, it's more like comparing apples to blueberries.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

There are so many tragedies in this story. From the guy that died and his love ones to our hobby. There is no way to spinn this to where our hobby doesn't take a huge hit. For us out there that have been fighting for Boas to not be classifies as killers, our battle has just gotten a lot tougher. For the Senator Nelson's of the world or the other folks out there trying to ban our pythons and boas their job just got a lot easier. I have been working with big snakes for over 20 years and I have no idea how something like this could ever happen?? The fact is that it did happen and now we have a mess to be worried about. Trust me in the days to come there will be more and more misinformation put out there by HSUS, and the likes. The fact is a Boa killed someone and there is no way that we will be able to make an argument that changes that fact. We as a hobby will have to really try to be as proactive as possible. If we are not willing to show the powers that be that we are willing to try to avoid this problem in the future they will yank our rights away from us in a heartbeat. I for one as sick to my stomach about this entire tragedy. I also feel terrible for USARK today, their job just got a lot tougher. They need our support more then ever! Brian(BHB)
    http://www.twitter.com/snakebytestv

www.snakebytestv.ning.com

www.youtube.com/snakebytestv
    don't forget to subscribe, comment and rate the show!
    www.snakebytes.tv
    join the shows site
    www.snakebytes.tumblr.com
    our daily blog

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BHB For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (06-12-2010),Twisted Reptiles (06-12-2010)

Thanks

i commented on the other thread posted here, but this is such a sad story, for the poor fellow who died, and for the poor rtb who will be most likely destroyed because of this. i am sure the man was a very competent handler and care taker of his snake and this is very disturbing that this happened to him.
    i do hope they do a proper investigation intot his to find out exactly why the snake constriced to tightly. i agree with the pervious post that the snake prolly felt scared or threatened when it was being pryed off(which im sure was violently due to the situation) and futher enforced its grip.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456