Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,580

1 members and 1,579 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Rescued Baby Fish

I work in a pet store and the other day I found a little Guppy fry in the female Guppy tank. My manager said I could take it home for free since baby fish that we find here can't be sold. Today I went to work and my manager said he saw a baby molly or Platy in the tank and after a little searching I found it and fished it out. When I caught the little baby he told me to follow him to the back. He showed me the tanks that sit below the fish wall that the filters empty into. He said "On occasion we find baby fish in there that the filters suck up. If you want to fish them out when you find them in there, you can have them." I immediately ran to get a net and today I rescued 5 baby livebearers. I'm not sure exactly what they all are. I know I have some sort of mickey mouse Platy (I can see the little marking near it's tail) and one of them is silver/white. I have a 2.5g I can put them in for now. I have to go out into the storage and get my 10g out and clean it up.

I'll try and get some pictures of them.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: Rescued Baby Fish

It's so fun to raise up the fry of livebearers. I have a colony of guppies, I don't even remove the fry and raise them seperately. Of course I don't come close to having a 100% survival rate, but I figure it's natural selection in action. I should have my second generation ready to breed within two months at the most.

Those fry love to eat often, but of course they don't need very much as their stomachs are TINY. For the most part I just powder up flake food. and drop a bit in.

Thanks

I just powdered up some flake food for them. I love fish. I used to be really into fish before I got into reptiles. If I had the space, I'd have tons of aquariums. Thankfully my mother-in-law likes fish (used to breed them) so she doesn't mind me bringing in the baby fish.

I'll post pictures if I get any good ones.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

that happens all the time in big name stores. it has to do with the tax paperwork.

now you dont typically get that at a local fish store as their stock is not tracked and also they tend to take in or trade stuff more often.

right now i have a 6-line wrasse i rescued from the lfs. its got a curved spine but it gets along with everything and its in a mostly coral tank.

jay if you lived around me id give you a 10 gallon or 2.
    currently i have 9 aquariums running 2 of them are saltwater