Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,896

1 members and 2,895 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Can a BP be a "lap snake?" Is there such a thing?

Over time, could a BP be a lap snake, meaning could I just have my snake hang out with me in my lap or on my arm as I read a book?

Does anyone currently do this? Are there any other snakes that are docile and could be handled like this?

btw, it's usually over 80 degress in my room, especially now that it's summer.
    ^__^V <3

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Can a BP be a "lap snake?" Is there such a thing?

it really just depends on what the snake will tolerate. Generally the bigger snakes are more chill, but my adult ball pythons will only chill for 101-5 minutes before they start getting antsy and exploring. There are some snakes that will just curl up and sleep on your lap though.

As long as you have a close eye on the snake the entire time it is out its not a big deal. Also, make sure your snake is eating consistently (once a week) before handling it at all.

Keep in mind these guys are still snakes. They are not social animals and do not really like being held. In the end they would rather you leave them alone. I would say in general though BP's are pretty good chill snakes.
    ~Steffe

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Kaorte is totally right. However as she stated there are those that are just like that. I have one ....my first Elizabeth....(she thinks she is one of us). Hangs with us.....plays video games with my son.(well I should say she watches)..and she watches tv. It is truly the weirdest thing I have ever seen. She also thinks she needs to sleep with us sometimes....ahhhh...NO!! Anyways....it really depends on them....that is few and far between as I have 4 others that are your typical BP.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

I know when it came to raising my bp and my rtbs I turned them all into "lap snakes". From day one they were brought out at least a few times a week for a few hours a day to cuddle with me the way most people would a dog or cat. But as said, some snakes may never be of the temperament to enjoy that type of thing.
    I know my biggest girl is much more content to lay on me and let me pet her in bed for hours while I watch shows or play games, where as my boy has a tendency to get bored after a while and want to start wandering.
    Most people do find it almost shocking that anyone would even want to cuddle up with a snake the way you would a dog or cat. But I just smile and tell them they're missing out

Thanks

My bp, Abuja, is a little too active to stay in one place when I'm holding him, but most of the time bps are very laidback and will be content to simply sit on your arm or in your lap. It all depends on your snake; you just have to try it out and see if he could be a lap snake.
    Dude, where did Bob go?

Thanks

Honey likes to curl up in my hair and lay her head on top of mine and she'll just chill like that for up to an hour....She really likes my robe and when I wear it she'll curl up in the pocket or in the sleeve and sleep for an hour or so...

1.0 300g Cinnamon Ball Python {Moose}
    0.0.1 Black Racer Hatchling {Moe}
    0.0.2 Gargoyle Gecko {Bis & Treble}
    1.0 Crazy yet Awesome Boyfriend (Stevepoppers)

RIP Cash and Honey. I'll never forget you.

Thanks

It's possible if you have the right snake. However, if you really want a pet that will sit with you for a long time and --->enjoy<---, maybe a ball python isn't what you're looking for.

Some are just more content than others, you just have to find the rare super tolerant ones.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

I've had a couple of snakes that will occasionally hang out rather than explore. My het pied is like a cat: one day he wants to sit in my lap and fall asleep; the next day he's stalking my toes.

And my black pastel female likes to sit on my knitting--I mean, right ON TOP of the part I'm currently knitting. I think she likes the slight tugging and pulling? Like a rocking chair for snakes or something.
    -Jackie Monk

Thanks

not to hijack, but on this subject are they trainable, so to speak, or is it entirely on temperament of individual snakes?

Thanks

Depends on what your definition of 'trainable' is. They definitely get more used to or tolerant of human handling the more they are forced to experience it. Everyone says handle them even if they bite you so they know it doesn't make you go away or get them put back in their homes. They do learn, but temperament definitely plays a big part. They may not bite, but try hard as they can to get away.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast