Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,990

1 members and 2,989 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Crested Geckos or Leopard Geckos

On my other poll, http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120861, I had Leopard Gecko, Fat Tailed Gecko, Crested Gecko, and Gargoyle Gecko as the choices.

The Leopard Gecko and Crested Gecko are the most popular with a tie of 6 votes each. Anyways, I am tied between the two. They are both awesome, come in amazing colors, and seem relatively easy. Especially since there are a lot of people who own them.

I was wondering which one you liked the best, and why? And if you like a different gecko species, please tell me the species and what you like about them.
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)
    ~ 1.0.0 python regius "*Ozzy*". ~

Formerly known as " Sadistic Serpent "

Thanks

Re: Crested Geckos or Leopard Geckos

Both extremely simple to care for, but both are completely different. Cresties need a more arboreal enclosure while Leos need a more terrestrial enclosure. Both very great pets, but I prefer Leos over Cresties. To me, their husbandry is more simpler.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    Both extremely simple to care for, but both are completely different. Cresties need a more arboreal enclosure while Leos need a more terrestrial enclosure. Both very great pets, but I prefer Leos over Cresties. To me, their husbandry is more simpler.
    I have to agree, totally different. It is completely up to personal preference- I always thought of leos as a more advanced species in terms of care due to heating requirments.
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

Thanks

as noted before thr rhac species are alot easier to take care of, simple powder food everyday and a cage. no heat or anything. piece of cake!
    1.0 costa rican bci
    1.0. bearded dragon
    1.0.1. crested geckos
    0.1.1. gargoyle geckos
    0.1. emperor scorpion

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ls1goat04 View Post
    as noted before thr rhac species are alot easier to take care of, simple powder food everyday and a cage. no heat or anything. piece of cake!
    And misting 1-2 times a day. If it is really dry where you live you can provide a humid hide.
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

Thanks

yup misting for sure. i have to mist all my kids except the beardie. he gets baths lol
    1.0 costa rican bci
    1.0. bearded dragon
    1.0.1. crested geckos
    0.1.1. gargoyle geckos
    0.1. emperor scorpion

Thanks

I've got one of each, and I love them both for their own individual personalities and quirks. My leo pretends to be grumpy (she's really a softie, and will climb right up onto your hand), and is IMO beautiful. The crestie, on the other hand, is a hyperactive court jester. She's so goofy, and the unintentional comedy she creates is just great. I'm not sure I could really choose between them. As far as husbandry goes, I'll say the leo's cage is easier to clean, but the crestie is easier to feed. Cresties poop everywhere, whereas leos pick a corner to use as the bathroom. Leos need live insects, and some people don't like to deal with that, whereas cresties can live exclusively on powdered meals.

Basically, if you want cute and goofy and don't mind misting and (somewhat) more involved cage cleaning, cresties are for you. If you don't mind crickets/other insects and want cage cleaning to be simple, go for the leo. Either way, you'll have a great pet.
    Mountain bikes are for slow people, and reptiles are far better pets than cats & dogs!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to olstyn For This Useful Post:

bad-one (06-03-2010)

Thanks

my bf and i have 5 crested geckos- if you don't mind misting, they're wiked cool to take care of.. it is also pretty simple to set up an automatic misting system thats not too expensive. Other then the misting thing, cresties are pretty easy to take care of... just do some spot cleaning everyday and you can feed them just crested gecko diet, no necessary need for crickets or other bugs if yur into that.

You can keep live plants in yur cresite cage (which you will then have to light..) but its fun seeing the plant grow and seeing where the crestie goes on it. a plant also helps keep humidity in the cage better then fake ones, but you have to make sure that the plant is ok for the gecko ( there is a list somewhere.. i don't know if there is one on this site or not.. we've googled it to figure out which plant we like..)
    Lena

9.15 ball pythons
    1.1 boas Tarzan, Ziva
    0.2 cats
    1 Fab Rat terrier- Roxy

1 G. Pulchra- Phoebe
    1. A. Avic- Sheiba
    1 B. Smithi
    1 Chaco Golden Knee

Thanks

I love them both, but prefer the leopard. They are much easier to hold and seem to like it more. In my experience, the crested are more jumpy.
    ~ReptileMama~
    2 Ball Pythons, 5 Bearded Dragons, 1 Red Footed Tortoise, 2 Leopard Geckos, 1 Corn Snake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptilemama38 View Post
    I love them both, but prefer the leopard. They are much easier to hold and seem to like it more. In my experience, the crested are more jumpy.
    I've seen cresteds go both ways with regard to that - my brother has one that's basically a bump on a log. Mine is a bit more, um, "active" than that when being handled, but even so, she's by no means difficult, handling-wise.
    Mountain bikes are for slow people, and reptiles are far better pets than cats & dogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast