Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,327

2 members and 3,325 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation May's Orlando Repticon!

Who was at Repticon Orlando this past weekend?

I got my sister a rabbit there from the only vendor selling rabbits, and now the rabbit has passed away and I am p****d to say the least. Including rabbit, food, and enclosure I spent more than $50 on it, and while that may not seem a lot to some, it cleared out my wallet but I thought it was a good brotherly thing to do.

I want to know if anyone else on here purchased a rabbit from her and if you've had any problems. The woman runs Rabbit Ranch, or something like that, out of Ft. Myers. She is going to have some issues to deal with from me at the next show if I see her there. I'm going to get my money back.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: May's Orlando Repticon!

You might want to figure out why the rabbit died before you immediately start to blame the woman selling the rabbits. Rabbits do die unexpectedly from many things, including stress.

If there was a vender selling rabbits(or indeed, any animal) that were unhealthy, then I hope you get your money back!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    You might want to figure out why the rabbit died before you immediately start to blame the woman selling the rabbits. Rabbits do die unexpectedly from many things, including stress.

If there was a vender selling rabbits(or indeed, any animal) that were unhealthy, then I hope you get your money back!

We found out that the rabbit she had sold us as a pet was only 3 weeks old. So yeah, I'd blame her.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WakoNako View Post
    We found out that the rabbit she had sold us as a pet was only 3 weeks old. So yeah, I'd blame her.
    Holy crap, rabbits aren't even supposed to wean until 6 weeks old!!! No wonder baby died. You should definitely see about getting hold of her and having a serious talk. I may be wrong, but from what I understand it's against Florida state law to sell a dog/cat/rabbit/etc. before 8 weeks old. Not only could she potentially have legal action taken against her for selling you the rabbit, she could be in serious trouble with authorities for animal neglect. I'd suggest you contact her and confront her about it, though if you're a minor you should have your parents or another trusted adult do so, because that will carry more weight with her and authorities.

I hope you are able to work all this out! I'd suggest you find a reputable rabbit breeder in your area who'd be willing to sell you a pet-quality rabbit from their show stock. Most breeders who show their animals will say on their site that they occasionally sell pet-quality animals. You're almost always better getting any animal from a trusted breeder! Good luck, and I hope everything works out for you.
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Seneschal For This Useful Post:

WakoNako (06-02-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    Holy crap, rabbits aren't even supposed to wean until 6 weeks old!!! No wonder baby died. You should definitely see about getting hold of her and having a serious talk. I may be wrong, but from what I understand it's against Florida state law to sell a dog/cat/rabbit/etc. before 8 weeks old. Not only could she potentially have legal action taken against her for selling you the rabbit, she could be in serious trouble with authorities for animal neglect. I'd suggest you contact her and confront her about it, though if you're a minor you should have your parents or another trusted adult do so, because that will carry more weight with her and authorities.

I hope you are able to work all this out! I'd suggest you find a reputable rabbit breeder in your area who'd be willing to sell you a pet-quality rabbit from their show stock. Most breeders who show their animals will say on their site that they occasionally sell pet-quality animals. You're almost always better getting any animal from a trusted breeder! Good luck, and I hope everything works out for you.
    Thanks. We figured she was a trusted breeder because she gave away a 'pet' rabbit in a raffle the day before. The 'Wrepticon Wabbit Wraffle'. She's now claiming I brought the rabbit as reptile food even though i brought a months supply of food and told my sister to pick out the rabbit she wanted as a pet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WakoNako View Post
    Thanks. We figured she was a trusted breeder because she gave away a 'pet' rabbit in a raffle the day before. The 'Wrepticon Wabbit Wraffle'. She's now claiming I brought the rabbit as reptile food even though i brought a months supply of food and told my sister to pick out the rabbit she wanted as a pet.
    Well, I guess the only thing I know to suggest is to tell her that unless she replaces the rabbit with one of appropriate age and ceases to sell underage animals as pets you'll report her to the Better Business Bureau.
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    Well, I guess the only thing I know to suggest is to tell her that unless she replaces the rabbit with one of appropriate age and ceases to sell underage animals as pets you'll report her to the Better Business Bureau.
    I tried that, she was very rude to myself and then to my mother when she called (I'm 20, but my mom wanted to be involved for my sisters sake). I've contacted Repticon and now we're looking up the laws about underage animal sales (thanks for the pointer) and we're gonna pursue it. At the very least I will most likely be making a scene at the next repticon i see her at.

Thanks

Just a quick update. After being in contact with representatives from Repticon, Carolyn (Rabbit woman) has now decided to get in contact with us to try and resolve the situation without having to involve the sheriff. We're going to record the phone conversation and see how it goes.
    Part of me doesn't want to involve the law as she seems to at least trying to resolve the situation, but the other part of me wants to because she needs her business practices looking into. Its not right to be selling such young rabbits and taking them away from their mothers at such a young age, before they've even finished being weaned.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how did you find out it was only 3 weeks old?...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

Glad to hear that things are being worked out for you, and I hope that things turn out good. Good idea on getting Repticon involved! I'd still suggest you get hold of the BBB, because even if she makes your situation right, it's still not good to be selling unweaned babies as pets. Good luck, and let us know how things work out.
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast