Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,997

1 members and 2,996 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: adopted a ball python new here a bit scared

ok, ill wait till morning then, i just dont want him to hibernate or get sick, but if you think he will be ok, ill wait it feels like its about 72 is in the room but i dont have a temp gauge. thanks again for helping me, I just dont want to do the wrong thing.

xoxo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    go to the pet store (since you cant get flexwatt delivered in 8 hours) and pick up a new UTH (under tank heater) which is 1/3 the size of the bottom of the tank. Pick up a thermostat which you plug the UTH into to control the temperature. If you do not use a thermostat it will get too hot
    I've not seen a thermostat in a pet store and have heard the same from more than a few posters. I think the chances are that they won't find one, in which case, they may as well save the money and get the Flexwatt, seeing as they won't be able to use whatever heater they DO find at the pet store until the thermostat arrives.

That is assuming they can't find a thermostat. In that case, the Reptitemp 500R is the cheapest and will get the job done. It is bottom-line. I think a "good" one will probably run around $100. I use a Reptitemp and it's a ***** to adjust and fine-tune.

The heater should help. A layer of newspaper or something will keep the snake off the glass, which absorbs heat much faster.

Edit: Actually, Monica makes a good point about the heater making the tank too hot in it's struggle to heat the whole room. Use with caution?
    Last edited by stevepoppers; 05-22-2010 at 04:14 AM.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Frozen rodent need to be thawed either at room temperature for a few hours or in hot water. In a baggie if you dont want it soaking wet. When completely thawed all the way through, warm up the head area very well with a blow dryer. Its best to use a pair of feeding tongs so you don't accidentally get bitten. Offer the mouse or rat to the snake. You may need to do what we call the zombie dance. Slow and slightly jerky movements a few inches away from the snake. Make it look like the rodent is alive. Sometimes it helps a picky eater if the mouse IS wet. It releases the scent more. An even pickier eater may need to be tempted by pre-scenting the room first. If it refuses a few weeks in a row, get some dirty rodent bedding from the pet store. Gerbil bedding works best. Set the bag, open, on top of the snakes tank a few hours before feeding. Feeding at night sometimes helps too. Just ask again if you run into any feeding problems.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: adopted a ball python new here a bit scared

omg monica thank god for u totally calmed my over protective roomate down and made her understand things from a new view god bless u! U totally saved my sleep tonight!

Tommorrow we will go shopping and hopefully get everything we need i had no idea about the temp and humidity checker nor did i even know anything about the temprature control thing that we can placeo n the heating pad to make sure it never gets to hot?

MY brother NEVER had any of these things for his poor snake!

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevepoppers View Post
    I've not seen a thermostat in a pet store and have heard the same from more than a few posters. I think the chances are that they won't find one, in which case, they may as well save the money and get the Flexwatt, seeing as they won't be able to use whatever heater they DO find at the pet store until the thermostat arrives.

That is assuming they can't find a thermostat. In that case, the Reptitemp 500R is the cheapest and will get the job done. It is bottom-line. I think a "good" one will probably run around $100. I use a Reptitemp and it's a ***** to adjust and fine-tune.

The heater should help. A layer of newspaper or something will keep the snake off the glass, which absorbs heat much faster.

Edit: Actually, Monica makes a good point about the heater making the tank too hot in it's struggle to heat the whole room. Use with caution?
    There is one by me that carries them but they do run out often. The OP can also use a dimmer for the time being. OR can use a heat lamp combined with a black heat light for night, cover the rest of the top, make a humid hide to compensate humidity loss and order the proper equipment to improve on the enclosure later.

The care sheet is a great place to start but it doesn't tell you what to get and where to get it.

The thermostats most of us use can be very pricy but some are ok. Like this poster said, reptitemp is ok. There is also herpstat, helix and ranco. These are the three I use and prefer. Its best to find a digital thermostat so you dont have to guess at the temperature.

Thanks

well this tread done we to ....... OP this is a snake not a dog it DONT sleep with you, if you want real hepl youll have to do what is said not what you feel is ok because you have no idea how to care for this animal, but if you want help we'll give it but not if you are not going to listen, if you wanna email me and ill help you.
    antreptiles

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

This thread just got really funny. Is this for reals?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moravaguy View Post
    well this tread done we to ....... OP this is a snake not a dog it DONT sleep with you, if you want real hepl youll have to do what is said not what you feel is ok because you have no idea how to care for this animal, but if you want help we'll give it but not if you are not going to listen, if you wanna email me and ill help you.
    Well, you dont even make sense, so what makes you think im going to believe you know anything about snakes? a snake is also not a cat but my cat does act like a dog...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wispurs View Post
    Well, you dont even make sense, so what makes you think im going to believe you know anything about snakes? a snake is also not a cat but my cat does act like a dog...

if............you........need.......help.......listen......to......it........... ..im.....sorry......you .......took.......on...........an...........animal..........that...you......know ........nothing.............about.............but........you..........did....... ...and.........asked..........for...........help............and.........when.... ....you.............got.......it.......you.........did...........not.........lis ten...........

and.......the.......22................healthy.............snakes.............tha t........i.............have...............that..........are............in....... .....better..........health...........than.........you.......lets.........me.... .......know...............i..........know..............enough............to..... .......tell...........you.............that..........a............heat.......pad. ........dont.......work..............when..............it..................dont. .................heat..........up
    i sure hope you can understand that now and get some common sense before you come on here trying to piss off the people you are trying to get help from
    antreptiles

Thanks

That doesn't help new people regardless of their attitude.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

11. The Following User Says Thank You to stevepoppers For This Useful Post:

dr del (05-23-2010)

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast