Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,923

1 members and 2,922 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Leopard gecko vs AFT?

So I'm debating on getting a pair of either Leopard geckos or the African Fat Tailed geckos. I like the look of the AFT a bit better, but I've heard the leopards are easier to care for and breed and have a bit of a better temperament.

Could someone give me the pros and cons of each, or just which one would be better for a person new to geckos? Thanks!
    -- Cat Haddow

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: Leopard gecko vs AFT?

I keep AFT only, but I can say they are very calm and even-tempered. I've never had any of mine offer to bite.
    AFT are not as common as leopard geckos. They've been fairly easy to keep, although I think they might be a little bit more of a picky eater. I have 2 eggs in the incubator, they bred with no real issues, but most of the eggs were infertile. It might just be they were the first clutch ever laid, or it could be more eggs are just infertile.
    I read the hatchlings are harder to get eating, etc.. but I don't have any experiance with that yet.

Like I said, I have no leopard geckos to compare, but I like the AFT and never really wanted leopards. Shrug, best I can give you.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Thank you Theresa. I went to the herp shop I frequent and he told me to go with leopard geckos since they are a bit easier to carefor, more prolific, and like you said, a bit less finicky. I think I'm going to purchase some tangerine's from AC Reptiles.
    -- Cat Haddow

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

They are also less expensive and there's approximately 4 billion different versions of the morphs. Good luck! I'm sure you'll like them!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

I don't have any AFTs (though I'd love to get a pair) but I do own and breed leopards.

I think they may be a little more forgiving husbandry wise. It's really dry there in AZ so they may do better than an AFT would, which needs higher humidity. You'll still want to make a moist hide for the leo, though, so you avoid shedding problems.

They have a pretty wide range of little 'personalities'. I have some that are sweet and others than are sour.. though 98% of mine tolerate handling just fine.

Good luck and enjoy!