A bit of history before I go into the story..

Like many people, I breed mice for my snake to eat. Cheaper for me, healthier for her. I enjoy tinkering with the genetics since it's fun. Awhile back, I did breedings of:

Solid black female x black broken marked male
solid brindle female x black broken marked male

Now, the brindle decided it'd be fun to gnaw on her kids who were born about three days after the black female's pups. I rescued those and put them in with the other female who took care of them. I still have no idea which of my remaining females from those two litters belong to which female.

Anyways. From that litter I got albinos, blacks, and doves. Unfortunately, no broken marked like dad. I hate albinos, so they automatically go to the snake. The doves were something unusual, so I kept the best looking female. Some of the black females had white markings on their tails, so, I selected the one with the most white to breed back to the sire. Using this method, I'm hoping to get more broken marked mice.

Fast forward to the 5th. I put her in with Ben, my male, he did his job and a few days later I went to pull her out. She got away from me. Oh. Crap. Cue me attempting to catch her for several days with no luck.

During this time, she apparently, never left my room and hung out in my bookshelf near all the mouse tanks. Tonight, I pulled the lid off an open tank, put in food, and various things for her to climb down on (ruler, a cellphone cord, and a mouse waterbottle).

After much fussing, she finally climbed down into the tank where I was able to catch her. Five days before her due date, assuming she's still pregnant. I went ahead and bred another black mouse with white on her tail, so if both are pregnant, I'll be getting two litters, ten days apart. Joy joy.

Still, I'm happy I caught her. Poor thing is a bit on the thin side, but otherwise alright.