Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,133

2 members and 3,131 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Feline lower urinary tract disease

My little guy has FLUTD, and though he has only suffered from a complete blockage once, he gets irritated from time to time. His litter box is always cleaned daily, he's an indoor cat, currently has lost a bunch of weight, and has special food and glucosamine for his urinary problems. Currently, I'm treating him for a urinary tract infection and I wanted to know if it's because of his FLUTD or if it was possibly just me worrying too much.
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 SD Retic

There's no such thing as an ugly ball python!

Thanks

Re: Feline lower urinary tract disease

My 11 year old mainecoon has lost substantial body weight from flutd . He used to be a healthy 18-22lbs but now after a few blockages and consistant problems (over an 18month period) he teeters from 9-10lbs but i cannot see his ribs and is in high spirits(seeing ribs i think would definitely be a problem) hang in there and be the best parent you can be. Best of luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vilenica For This Useful Post:

Tochigi_R (05-16-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

My first kitty, Metalica (Santa Clause, AKA my stepdad named her, lol) had chronic FLUTD. We couldn't let her eat anything but the special food the vet perscribed her or she would bleed everywhere, it was awful She was VERY thin for most of her life, 3-5 lbs max, but once she was around 12-13 she started putting on weight and was a fat cat until she died from CRF, chronic renal failure, at 17 years old. Even for a 'fat cat' she was pretty thin/small.

I wouldn't worry too much about your kitty, he might always be on the thin side because of the disease. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he's doing well. You might be able to switch to another brand of food that's a bit more fatty It might be hard to feed him anything fatty from home or the store. My poor baby would bleed if she got into anything, including treats or human food

Good luck and hang in there! They can live a long happy life! That was my very first kitty and I just lost her 3 years ago.

This was about a year before she was diagnosed with CRF. She was still a 'fat cat' in this picture, but you can tell she wasn't that big. She lived for 6 months after she was diagnosed with CRF.
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 05-15-2010 at 11:24 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

Tochigi_R (05-16-2010)

Thanks

Thanks guys! My little guy had a bad night last night.. he was throwing up a lot :[. But he's passing urine and pooh all right. He's got a bad habit of getting into the dang garbage, so I think he might have gotten into something not so fun for his tummy. He seems all right this afternoon, but is still a little iffy with eating (I don't blame him, though... tossing my lunch a few times over would make me less hungry too). Drinking water okay as well.

I'm calling my vet tomorrow just to walk on the safe side of things. The last time he got into the garbage he ate tuna, and that's a HUGE no no for cats with FLUTD. He was admitted for four days and almost didn't make it, so I'm always going to be a bit paranoid when it comes to my cat.

Thanks for the advice, and I'll try not to grow an ulcer within the next day or two.
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 SD Retic

There's no such thing as an ugly ball python!