Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,604

1 members and 1,603 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

White Stands by Ban of Daley; But Diaz Attack on 'Mayhem' Doesn't Warrant Punishment

In an interview with Yahoo! Sports this week, UFC president Dana White said that he doesn't get along with Josh Koscheck, but regardless of his feelings towards the oft loathed welterweight, what Paul Daley did to him following their UFC 113 bout is inexcusable.

“I’m no Josh Koscheck fan. Personally, I think he’s jerk.We actually don’t get along very well. I like Paul Daley a lot, but what he did was inexcusable. He walked over to Koscheck and Koscheck could have thought he was coming over to shake hands or congratulate him and he took a cheap shot at him like that. If you throw a sucker punch like that after a fight in the UFC, I don’t care who you are, you’re done. He’ll never fight for us again.”

When asked if it was somewhat hypocritical that one of his other contracted fighters, Nate Diaz, was handed no punishment for his role in the brawl that occurred immediately following the Strikeforce: Nashville event last month, White said comparing the two incidents would be like comparing apples to oranges. According to White, Diaz, who could clearly be seen laying the boots to a turtled Miller while his Team Cesar Gracie teammates barraged the defenseless Team Quest fighter with punches, was not at fault for his actions, because "he's a Diaz" and because Miller instigated the brawl.

“Mayhem got into the cage when he didn’t belong inside there. He didn’t belong in the interview, but he forced his way into [Jake] Shields’ interview and he started a fight. When you start a fight next to the Diaz brothers [Nathan’s older brother, Nick, was also involved], what do you think is going to happen, particularly if you start a fight with someone from their crew?"

Standing by his decision not to punish Nate, White pointed to the reason he cut the older Diaz brother from the UFC -- a brawl with Joe Riggs in a hospital emergency room following their UFC 57 fight -- as being a real offense because of where it happened. For the record, Riggs was not cited for his involvement in the melee.

“I cut Nick Diaz after he was fighting [Joe Riggs in an emergency room] at the hospital [in Las Vegas following a Feb. 4, 2006, fight]. People are sick and dying and you can’t be in the hospital fighting. I cut the guy even though I know he’s a very good fighter. But the thing with Jake Shields happened because someone wasn’t in control of the cage and let Mayhem in where he didn’t belong. That caused everything else.”

So by Dana's reasoning, shouldn't Daley still be a UFC employee as referee Dan Miragliotta should be responsible for not preventing the attack on Koscheck since he should have been in control of the cage?
    -Cage Potato
    -Italicized word was added by me to replace a word that went against our TOS
    I agree with the ban of Daley and I agree with not doing anything to Diaz simply because Diaz was not at a UFC match. Why should Dana punish him for something he did durring a strkeforce event? Had that happened at a UFC event and Dana did nothing it would be a different story...
    Last edited by Boanerges; 05-12-2010 at 07:34 PM.
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Re: White Stands by Ban of Daley; But Diaz Attack on 'Mayhem' Doesn't Warrant Punishm

I honestly dont know if I would of fired him. Maybe a steep fine and a very long suspension. Daley is still a good fighter and Dana can still make money off him.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Re: White Stands by Ban of Daley; But Diaz Attack on 'Mayhem' Doesn't Warrant Punishm

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I honestly dont know if I would of fired him. Maybe a steep fine and a very long suspension. Daley is still a good fighter and Dana can still make money off him.
    I would have given him a big fine and a long suspension. But there is a method to Dana's madness. And Dana has to know he could have made a TON of money on him. I guess he was set on making a big example out of him and letting everyone know that your out of the UFC if you sucker punch someone after the bell. I would be willing to bet it never happens again now unless you got someone mentally unstable fighting considering what will happen to them if they do.
    Jeff Bernard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i dont think Dana really cares about making money off one fighter thats why he also released Kimbo. i know comparing Kimbo to Daley is not right but the people i talked to that bought the fight wanted to see Kimbo fight and they didnt care about any of the other fights.

Thanks

To be honest, I think the real reason why Diaz wasn't punished is because Dana and Mayhem don't really get along from what I hear.

1.0 Pastel 09
    0.1 Pinstripe 13
    1.0 Champagne 13
    0.2 Pastel 13
    0.1 Normal Het Albino 13
    1.0 Albino 13

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Neither of those jerks deserve to be in this sport. People like that make me sick.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Neither of those jerks deserve to be in this sport. People like that make me sick.
    Yeah. I don't really know much about Daley, but Diaz is an embarassment to the sport in my opinion. If I was a mixed martial artist myself I would truly hate guys like him. He's so disrespectful to everyone he fights. Even when he loses he dosn't give credit. Everytime I see any of the Diaz family fight I just hope and pray they get their arses handed to them.

I remember on the Ultimate Fighter show, the younger Diaz literally ran and hid from Karo Parisyan lmao. That was so funny to watch. Runs his mouth a lot, then runs and hides when someone has a problem with him.

1.0 Pastel 09
    0.1 Pinstripe 13
    1.0 Champagne 13
    0.2 Pastel 13
    0.1 Normal Het Albino 13
    1.0 Albino 13

Thanks

I don't think that Daley should have been fired and banned for life from the UFC. But I do agree.. I think Dana did it to send a message. I don't think he would have done this if it were one of his top fighters like Brock or GSP. Sad to say, but Daley, even though he is a good fighter, is not a fan favorite yet. So it was easy for Dana to let him go because people don't buy pay-per-views to see Daley. And so Dana let's go of a fighter who is still building a fan base and sends a message that the UFC is not like Stikeforce.

Almost forgot: I do think that Dana should have enforced some type of punishment on Nate. He represents the UFC no matter where he is or what he's doing.
    Last edited by snakecharmer3638; 05-13-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakecharmer3638 View Post
    I don't think that Daley should have been fired and banned for life from the UFC. But I do agree.. I think Dana did it to send a message. I don't think he would have done this if it were one of his top fighters like Brock or GSP. Sad to say, but Daley, even though he is a good fighter, is not a fan favorite yet. So it was easy for Dana to let him go because people don't buy pay-per-views to see Daley. And so Dana let's go of a fighter who is still building a fan base and sends a message that the UFC is not like Stikeforce.

Almost forgot: I do think that Dana should have enforced some type of punishment on Nate. He represents the UFC no matter where he is or what he's doing.
    That is exactly right. Dana should have fined Diaz or suspended him at least. Look at the NFL, they get fined or suspended for acting like idiots other places than on the field because regardless of where the players are; they are ALWAYS representing the NFL. The NFL does not want to look like some gangster football league, and that is what the UFC will become if these fighters don't get in toruble for things away from the company.

1.0 Pastel 09
    0.1 Pinstripe 13
    1.0 Champagne 13
    0.2 Pastel 13
    0.1 Normal Het Albino 13
    1.0 Albino 13

Thanks

I dont think Kimbo should have been cut either. I know he aint the best fighter but he did show improvement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast