Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,766

1 members and 2,765 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Burm vs Yellow Anaconda? First BIG snake.

Alright guys. So I am considering getting myself my first actual BIG python/boa this weekend at the show. I have the extra money, cage, and everything ready for whichever I choose.

Biggest snake I've owned is my 7.5 ft peruvian, and i've handled many other large constrictors over 11ft. I watched my exs baby burmese for awhile and fell in love. But I also have a passion for yellow anacondas.

Which one would you say is the best to start off with? A normal burmese python, or yellow anaconda? I'm not afraid to get bit or anything, will be handling them everyday once they settle in.

I will keep them in my rack for awhile, then I do have a 4ft and 6ft cage. The 6ft is custom built out of melamine with 2 doors that have 2 locks on each window. It's a strong, and heavy cage. It also has wheels

What do ya'll think?
    ♂ - Mojave, ♂ - Enchi, ♂ - Spider, ♂ - Lesser, ♂ - Yellowbelly, ♀ - Normal
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00001390853035

Thanks

Re: Burm vs Yellow Anaconda? First BIG snake.

If you want something bigger than your peruvian then it would have to be a female yellow annie. Males get around 6-8 feet. I was looking at getting a yellow annie but I was looking for something that is calm most of the time. If you get a yellow annie make sure you get a CBB hatchling. Mistreated annies can become the spawns of satan and same with WC individuals. Also ive heard that they have a weird way or striking. It most like lashing, the strike side to side and can leave a nasty mark.

On the other hand with the burm, if i was to choose, i would deffinetly choose the burm. I love the look of the normals burms and some of the morphs are amazing. A burm will get much larger than your peruvian. Im going to be getting a half dwarf burm soon and i can't wait. I always wanted a burm, but couldnt deal with a 12+ foot individual.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

Thanks

Yeah, I know the females get a lot larger. Female Yellows can get up to 13/14 feet am I correct? I have heard that if your Anaconda does not bite you once or twice, it's not healthy. Same goes for blood pythons. So I am prepared for that part, lol. Brace myself.

I do love the burms, too. Their colors are awesome and I would probably get a male, not a female. It's going to be just me handling it, don't really have anyone else close to me that is really into reptiles.

Thanks

Yeah that is about right for females. An individual may be a little smaller than that, maybe around 11-12 feet, but annies are very robust and even a 6-8 foot individual is pretty large.

Im sure you know, but most people advise once a constrictor gets around 8-10 feet, you should always have a second person there to help in case of an emergency. Im sure your experienced, but a 10 foot burm grabbing you in the wrong way could end tragically.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to redstormlax12 For This Useful Post:

Chocolate Muffin's (05-15-2010)

Thanks

Mm yeah, either way it's a large animal. Hopefully by the time it get's that large i'll have someone who can come over and help me with it when needed. I work the reptile shows here, so I am sure I could grab a guy to come help me out.

I shall be careful, haha.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

I have a rescued burm at my house right now. I personally have always loved burms but this one is testy. I had an albino male years ago that was completely kitten tame. I loved him to death. I knew a guy that had a green anaconda but this was a very unusual snake. It would take its food from your hand very slowly and gently. Id never seen anything like it. They same guy had a huge adult burm that was mean as could be. I think any big snake that has a good temperament as a baby will retain that as it gets older as long as you treat it right and handle it regularly. The choice is yours. Once you handle a couple different ones you will fall in love with one in particular and none of the others will matter

Thanks

I'll be totally honest when I say I am saying all of this with no first hand experience. Just personal preference and what I have read.

But I had zero interest in big snakes until I saw Yellow and Green annies. If I knew the best way to house and heat such a large animal I'd own a yellow right now. But as it stands I am still clueless and searching for info.

But yeah I'd say yellow annie.
    "Be Excellent to each other, And Party on Dudes."
    Pets
    1.2 Cats (Hyuga, Luna, Saki)
    0.1 Woma Python
    1.1 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pastel "Opera",1.0 Pinstripe, 1.0 Spider "Carcillo"
    0.0.1 Striped California Kingsnake "Ceaser" 0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake "Bullet"
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos

Thanks

I would say burm most likely. Anacondas like to have a small to large basin their cage for soaking in, thought not always necessary, it is a nice thing for them to have. I might be confusing them with green anacondas though i am sure both like to swim. A burm will swim too but not as much as i would consider an anaconda would. Also, I don't think a 6 foot cage is big enough for either as an adult though it is good to grow up in. I would say no less then 8x2 for an adult, but maybe thats not necessary either. Best of luck, but I vote burm! ~Caylan.S.~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    I have a rescued burm at my house right now. I personally have always loved burms but this one is testy. I had an albino male years ago that was completely kitten tame. I loved him to death. I knew a guy that had a green anaconda but this was a very unusual snake. It would take its food from your hand very slowly and gently. Id never seen anything like it. They same guy had a huge adult burm that was mean as could be. I think any big snake that has a good temperament as a baby will retain that as it gets older as long as you treat it right and handle it regularly. The choice is yours. Once you handle a couple different ones you will fall in love with one in particular and none of the others will matter
    I would have to agree with you, I was just curious about what other people's opinions were. I have heard both good and bad about both species, and it really all depends on how they are raised. I believe with the proper handling like you say, as you raise them from babies either or can be just as great of a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Seru1 View Post
    I'll be totally honest when I say I am saying all of this with no first hand experience. Just personal preference and what I have read.

But I had zero interest in big snakes until I saw Yellow and Green annies. If I knew the best way to house and heat such a large animal I'd own a yellow right now. But as it stands I am still clueless and searching for info.

But yeah I'd say yellow annie.
    I will take that into account, definatly always do your research on whatever you get lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Inugohan View Post
    I would say burm most likely. Anacondas like to have a small to large basin their cage for soaking in, thought not always necessary, it is a nice thing for them to have. I might be confusing them with green anacondas though i am sure both like to swim. A burm will swim too but not as much as i would consider an anaconda would. Also, I don't think a 6 foot cage is big enough for either as an adult though it is good to grow up in. I would say no less then 8x2 for an adult, but maybe thats not necessary either. Best of luck, but I vote burm! ~Caylan.S.~
    Male yellow anacondas don't get nearly as large as females, I am pretty sure they can do alright in a 6ft cage as long as you take them out regularly to stretch and give them exercise. With a burmese, they would need a larger cage eventually.

Thanks

Yellow anacondas are awesome, that is one of my dream snakes, dont know exactly why its just something about them that makes them awesome, so i would say yellow anaconda =)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast