Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,221

1 members and 2,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

Kimbo's UFC run is done

Kimbo's UFC run is done

By Steve Cofield

UFC president Dana White laid down the challenge to Internet phenom Kimbo Slice and the street fighter accepted it. Kimbo made it through his stint on Season 10 of "The Ultimate Fighter" and got two more fights with the promotion.

Slice went 1-1 in the UFC after the reality show, including a bad loss tonight at UFC 113 against Matt Mitrione. The fight was so one-sided, the UFC president decided to give Kimbo his pink slip.

"That's probably Kimbo's last fight in the UFC," said White. "Listen, Kimbo made it farther than I thought he would."

When Slice was the centerpiece of CBS' EliteXC promotion, his status drove White nuts. He slammed and badmouthed Kimbo, saying the only way he'd make it to the UFC was to take part in the UFC's prospect show on Spike. That was a bitter pill to swallow for a guy who had earned between $250,000-$500,000 in each of three EliteXC fights.

"I didn't know Kimbo, I just knew what I saw," White said of his previous pro MMA fights and his work on YouTube. "The first time I ever met him I said, 'This is going to be an interesting meeting with the [expletive] I've said about him over the years.' "

Slice and his handlers were not combative. They just wanted the fighter to get a chance at legitimacy.

"He came in. He couldn't be a nicer guy. He took things serious, trained and went after it," said White. "His first fight wasn't the YouTube fights you saw. He won that fight [against Houston Alexander on the TUF 10 finale]. He deserved another fight in the UFC and he lost. Got nothing but respect for Kimbo and I like him as a person. And I think he's carried himself really well."

When asked about the "probably" in his original Kimbo quote, White then said definitively that Slice was gone.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Re: Kimbo's UFC run is done

Kimbo did horrible in that fight!!! He started out strong but quickly gassed. Those leg kicks destroyed him and Matt really just dominated him...
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

You gotta give Kmbo at least some props for trying. He gets knocked down and bat badly in almost all of his fights. He needs to hang up the towel, it is starting to get sad now... I love his determination, but that won't save hm from getting killed in the ring.
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)
    ~ 1.0.0 python regius "*Ozzy*". ~

Formerly known as " Sadistic Serpent "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sadistic Serpent View Post
    You gotta give Kmbo at least some props for trying. He gets knocked down and bat badly in almost all of his fights. He needs to hang up the towel, it is starting to get sad now... I love his determination, but that won't save hm from getting killed in the ring.
    I definitely give him credit personally. He happened to be one of my favorite fighters to watch. On top of that I do not care for Mitrione so I was really hoping Kimbo was going to win...
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Haha, I was hoping for Kimbo Slice to have a come-back, he has such determination and grit, it's amazing But now he is just going to end up hurting himself...
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)

Thanks

Haha, I was hoping for Kimbo Slice to have a come-back, he has such determination and grit, it's amazing But now he is just going to end up hurting himself...
    I am wondering if maybe Strikeforce will pick him up...
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

I was soo hoping the best for Kimbo, but it just didn't work...His time on the Ultimate Fighter changed my view of him...However, he needs to still become more than a 1 dimensional fighter...In time he probably will get there, but now he can't compete with true MMA guys, unless they walk into one of his "haymakers"...I wanted him to at least once knock that goofy smile off of Matt's face!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    I am wondering if maybe Strikeforce will pick him up...
    I hope so! He just has too much pride too back down, doesn't he?
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pandp View Post
    I was soo hoping the best for Kimbo, but it just didn't work...His time on the Ultimate Fighter changed my view of him...However, he needs to still become more than a 1 dimensional fighter...In time he probably will get there, but now he can't compete with true MMA guys, unless they walk into one of his "haymakers"...I wanted him to at least once knock that goofy smile off of Matt's face!!!!
    He does need to improve a lot. He was not even attempting to leg check any of those leg kicks. He has a lot to learn still. At least he is trying. Matt did have a big goofy grin!!!
    I hope so! He just has too much pride too back down, doesn't he?
    He doesn't know when to quit. Plus he fights to make money so he won't stop until he can't any more. Wich will be when nobody pays him or he physcially can't. Even if he does not get paid I bet he will still be training because that's what he likes to do.
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    He does need to improve a lot. He was not even attempting to leg check any of those leg kicks. He has a lot to learn still. At least he is trying. Matt did have a big goofy grin!!!

He doesn't know when to quit. Plus he fights to make money so he won't stop until he can't any more. Wich will be when nobody pays him or he physcially can't. Even if he does not get paid I bet he will still be training because that's what he likes to do.
    So true. One day when he's against somebody with plenty of talent, and he gets beat, maybe... just maybe... he'll learn his lesson, and stay down, but I doubt it. What do you think of Kimbo Slice as a wrestler?
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast