Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

2 members and 3,158 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: im not bashing venomous snake owners but...

Quote Originally Posted by marbo View Post
    Because a ball python, no matter what morph, will never look like this:
    Is that a Gaboon? How beautiful!

Thanks

I think first anyone who lives in a town house or apartment should not have that right to own a venomous snake. Because if it ever escapes, it now becomes your neighbors problem as well as yours. And if I was your neighbor with my two little girls and something happend to them in my home because your venomous snake escaped its enclosure...... lol good luck is all I will say.

If you own your own single family home on your own property and are expereinced owning hots (Experienced as in you were somebodies apprentice for awhile that owned them) I dont see it as a problem.

Thanks
    I dont see why everyone thinks having an apprentice is the key to venomous snake owning. Just by having a apprenticeship does not make you a better venomous snake owner. Common sense and a healthy respect for the animal does

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Denial For This Useful Post:

anthonym (12-29-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    I dont see why everyone thinks having an apprentice is the key to venomous snake owning. Just by having a apprenticeship does not make you a better venomous snake owner. Common sense and a healthy respect for the animal does
    Not to mention where do you think the top Venomous Handlers learned from. Not everyone had the option of working with someone to teach them. Most snake skills are learned on your own

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

Denial (12-29-2010)

Thanks
    Some of the most beautiful and fascinating snakes in the world are non-venomous. And some of the most beautiful and fascinating snakes in the world are venomous.

I don't own venomous snakes because I want to be able to touch my snakes and handle them, and if I get bitten it's no more grief than Neosporin, a bandaid, and quite possibly getting laughed at.

But I do understand the appeal. Years ago I cared for a handful of venomous snakes several times when their owner was on vacation. As you can imagine, it's pretty tough to get a babysitter for your gaboons. He had a great setup, went through how to care for them safely over and over, and it went off without a hitch. He lucked out because he got a vacation without worrying about the safety of his snakes or the danger of an escape. And I really lucked out--I got to spend time watching some almost hypnotically beautiful animals.

I might add that the gaboons were well behaved. Not a single one of them showed any signs of aggression. It made me wish that I could unlock the cages and just touch them. I know better, and I didn't. But those are some sweet snakes. I am afraid that eventually the careless, the ignorant, and the out and out jackasses who do not care for these snakes responsibly will make it impossible for those who love these animals and care for them responsibly to keep them.
    "Why I Have Grey Hair," the story of my life:

The cast: 0.1 het pied, Minnie, "Heartless." 0.1 pied, Dorothy, "The Girl Next Door." 0.1 mojave, Lily, "Stuck Up Little Princess." 0.1 pastel yb, Marilyn, "The Bombshell." 0.1 normal, Miss Maenad, "Femme Fatale." 1.0 dinker, Darth Jackass, "Scum of the Earth." 1.0 piebald, Mickey, "A Really Nice Guy." 1.0 jigsaw, Kaa, "The Young Dude." 0.1 cinnamon, Hera, "If Looks Could Kill" 0.1 pastel, Luna, "If It Moves, Eat It"

Recently joined by Badger and Honey, 1.1 spotnoses.

...and an ever-changing host of supporting actors and actresses: rat and ASF.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    Not to mention where do you think the top Venomous Handlers learned from. Not everyone had the option of working with someone to teach them. Most snake skills are learned on your own
    Learning on your own involves plenty of trial and error..... The goal of an extended apprenticeship is to reduce the error part of that equation. When keeping potentially deadly wildlife within close proximity to other peoples residences, the small inconvenience of the apprenticeship is worth the increase in public safety.

I have a few choice hot species that I plan on acquiring one day. Really I would be happy with just one golden eyelash viper, but until my children are grown it is not an option.

Thanks
    I disagree. When your dealing with venomous animals there is no room for trial and error. You have to do things right the first time around. Responsibility is the key to keeping these animals. Its not rocket science its truly no different then keeping any other snake species other then Safe handling and secure enclosures. You see alot of people that have kept these animals for years and in some peoples eyes are the "experienced" keepers that others would go to for guidance and they do things that would get a new keeper killed. Some people get comfortable with there animals and take short cuts that new keepers should not take. And I would hate for them to see it while they are under apprenticeship and think its ok for them. Venomous keeping is not for everyone but at the same time its also not very hard to be safe keeping them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    I disagree. When your dealing with venomous animals there is no room for trial and error. You have to do things right the first time around. Responsibility is the key to keeping these animals. Its not rocket science its truly no different then keeping any other snake species other then Safe handling and secure enclosures. You see alot of people that have kept these animals for years and in some peoples eyes are the "experienced" keepers that others would go to for guidance and they do things that would get a new keeper killed. Some people get comfortable with there animals and take short cuts that new keepers should not take. And I would hate for them to see it while they are under apprenticeship and think its ok for them. Venomous keeping is not for everyone but at the same time its also not very hard to be safe keeping them.
    I totally agree that an apprenticeship under a keeper who has picked up bad habits could do more harm than good. And that some keepers do begin to take short cuts after years of being around dangerous captives. I do however think that there is much to be gained by getting instruction from an experienced keeper. For instance I was “self taught” and it would have been nice to have someone around to teach me some things. Like “atheris can strike the entire length of there body, minus about 1 ½” of their tail” this is a lesson that I almost learned the hard way when a hooked squam that I thought was at a safe distance missed my knee by about an inch. But at the end of the day I couldn’t agree more that hot must be kept only by people who exercise by common sense and take every precaution. I think there are far too many keepers that keep hots because they are venomous not In spite of it.
    Last edited by jason_ladouceur; 03-29-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks

I will gladly answer this question for you as my family has asked me the exact same question a billion times.

Firstly, why own a snake of any kind? This is the root of my family's issues with many of my pets. "They can't bond with you or recognize you, whats the point?" So if you think snakes are ok, but hot snakes are not, then I ask you the same question above....why would one be ok and not the other? Yes it is more dangerous, but so what? And not ALL venomous snakes can kill you...

For me, personally, I like to own snakes (and tarantulas, scorpions, and what have you) NOT because I like to display them but because I absolutely love animals. I genuinely study them. I don't breed my animals, and in the rare case I would attempt a breeding it would be to understand the processes the animals go through, not to make certain genetic babies. I try to understand why they act the way they do; what their behaviors mean; and whatnot. I don't see why any venomous animal is different in any way?

Do you feel the same way about tarantulas? scorpions? or really any other non-bonding non-display animal?

Quote Originally Posted by mommanessy247 View Post
    i fail to understand WHY people feel the need to own venomous snakes. is there a thrill factor to it? you know they can, at any moment of even the slightest carelessness, kill you & the snake wont even think twice about it!
    ok this is coming out as a bash & i apologize. but im just having a hard time understanding this issue.
    please feel free to correct me but first understand that im NOT AT ALL trying to bash anyone.
    again im sorry if this post comes off as a bash. thats NOT what i intended.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mommanessy247 View Post
    i fail to understand WHY people feel the need to own venomous snakes. is there a thrill factor to it? you know they can, at any moment of even the slightest carelessness, kill you & the snake wont even think twice about it!
    ok this is coming out as a bash & i apologize. but im just having a hard time understanding this issue.
    please feel free to correct me but first understand that im NOT AT ALL trying to bash anyone.
    again im sorry if this post comes off as a bash. thats NOT what i intended.
    I too do not understand why people feel the need to keep venomous snakes. However, I would hope that all of us snake keepers are able to understand how it is to be criticized for keeping certain animals. I'm sure we have all experienced how difficult it is to explain our hobby to those who fear snakes. I have gotten all kinds of people telling me how stupid I am to keep snakes, and all of the snakes I keep are practically harmless. Simply because they do not share my interest and understanding of reptiles does not mean that I am unjustified in keeping reptiles.

While I share your views on the topic of venomous snakes, I am able to respect those who keep them, and understand that they have a fascination that goes beyond my zone of comfort.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast