Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

3 members and 3,268 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Strange behavior from BP. . .

I have suspected my BP to shed soon because within the last week or so I noticed her colors begin to get very dull and a few days ago her eyes were really cloudy. However yesterday she looked normal again and I know she didn't shed.

Yesterday I also found a few mites on her and today I noticed a couple more. I notice she has been spending more time in a log hide I have for her (which I am suspecting is the thing that gavehermites to begin with) and I notice she has been stretching out on top of two long I have close to each other. She has been really relaxed and mostly calm as usual.

A few minutes ago I noitced her rubbing her head into the substrate, which I have never seen her do before. Could this be because she is about to shed or is this because of mites?

Also, could this log hide contribute to mites?
    Last edited by EvesFriend; 05-05-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Re: Strange behavior from BP. . .

When in shed a BP will go "blue" with the cloudy eyes. Then they will clear up again. Within a coule days of looking normal again they will shed. Its decieving. For the mites you will need to get a mite treatment and follow the directions exactly. Get rid of all the wood immediately. Wash and sanitize everything. Treat the enclosure according to directions. You can put flea and tick powder or garden pest powder lightly along the floor in front of the enclosure to help prevent reinfestation if any got out of the tank.

We recommend provent-a-mite here. It must be ordered online but its works completely and the first time its used.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EvesFriend View Post
    I have suspected my BP to shed soon because within the last week or so I noticed her colors begin to get very dull and a few days ago her eyes were really cloudy. However yesterday she looked normal again and I know she didn't shed.

Yesterday I also found a few mites on her and today I noticed a couple more. I notice she has been spending more time in a log hide I have for her (which I am suspecting is the thing that gavehermites to begin with) and I notice she has been stretching out on top of two long I have close to each other. She has been really relaxed and mostly calm as usual.

A few minutes ago I noitced her rubbing her head into the substrate, which I have never seen her do before. Could this be because she is about to shed or is this because of mites?

Also, could this log hide contribute to mites?
    i hear if you stick your hide in a tub of water and drown the wood for a good 20 or 30 minutes, you should be mite free.. hope this helps
    im a noob to the snake world! but they are just so fascinating!

Thanks

BPs will go through blue then end up clearing their eyes a day or so before shedding their skin. She's rubbing her head because she's attempting to shed, so I wouldn't bother her. She probably is shedding to get the mites off, some snakes will shed their skin to get the mites off but it doesn't normally help.

Try getting a can of PAM (Provent-A-Mite) and spray down the cage lightly. Take the water dish and the snake out before you do so. Follow the directions on the can on how to use it, probably better explains it than I can.

Also, about the log hides, try getting two tight-fitting, identical hides. The hides should only have one entrance and hug the BP on all sides. They feel most secure that way. A hiding BP is a happy BP
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    When in shed a BP will go "blue" with the cloudy eyes. Then they will clear up again. Within a coule days of looking normal again they will shed. Its decieving. For the mites you will need to get a mite treatment and follow the directions exactly. Get rid of all the wood immediately. Wash and sanitize everything. Treat the enclosure according to directions. You can put flea and tick powder or garden pest powder lightly along the floor in front of the enclosure to help prevent reinfestation if any got out of the tank.

We recommend provent-a-mite here. It must be ordered online but its works completely and the first time its used.

Thank you very much for the feedback. What should I use when sanitizing the cage? I'm assuming I should definately change the substrate but what sort of cleaning products are good for these glass cages?

As for the wood hides, could I clean these up and maybejust usethem as decoration? If I turn the hide upside down so that the entrance faces down I can use it as a sort of tree stump.

Thanks again.

Thanks

Thank you very much for the feedback. What should I use when sanitizing the cage? I'm assuming I should definately change the substrate but what sort of cleaning products are good for these glass cages?

As for the wood hides, could I clean these up and maybejust usethem as decoration? If I turn the hide upside down so that the entrance faces down I can use it as a sort of tree stump.

Thanks again.
    It's best to bleach out the tank and rinse it very well.

As for the log hides, I would just consider throwing them out since there's already a mite infestation going on. Ball pythons are clumsy climbers and don't necessarily need anything to climb on. They are known to hurt themselves if they fall off of the stick or log in a bad way.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Thanks again.
    Like tiff said, a bleach/water solution is good. Then let air dry completely so there are no fumes. Yes change bedding. The mites lay eggs and you can have a reinfestation if you do not clean and change everything.

Thanks

So what does the Prevent a Mite do that bleach and everything else won't? Won't bathing the snake in warm water and letting sit for a little while help kill the mites?

Thanks

So what does the Prevent a Mite do that bleach and everything else won't? Won't bathing the snake in warm water and letting sit for a little while help kill the mites?
    No. Nothing except a product designed for mites will kill them. If you do not invest in the proper treatment you will never completely get rid of them and they will infest any other snake/reptile you ever bring home. Mites are hard to get rid of and it must be done correctly and entirely. You can't wash your snake in bleach. Mites are arachnids. In other words. Spiders. All arachnids are notoriously difficult to kill. Most pesticides for your home will not kill spiders and a specialty product designed for spiders generally needs to be used.

It is no different for your snake. The proper treatment for reptile mites is required. Some breeders use to use a type of oil but this is not fool proof. Oil can also cause the snakes scales to flake off if left on too long. I would never take shortcuts on something like mites.

Stinkin' hot Tucson, AZ (it's somewhere between California and New Mexico).
    Thanks

Provent-A-Mite, Provent-A-Mite, Provent-A-Mite!

People tend to over use it too. If you read the instructions, it's 1 second per square foot (I'm at work so doing this from memory). Make sure to remove water bowl and critter first. Just follow instructions. Definately re-treat the enclosure in 30 days! We actually did a re-treat at 60 out also. Provent-A-Mite is the only stuff that really works.

Like everyone says, once the eyes go milky blue they clear. Our guys usually shed two to four days out after the eyes clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast