Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,967

2 members and 2,965 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Shipping to Denmark

Well, alright, this is a long story so I'm going to shorten it.

Remember that girl who had two corn snakes and gave me the eggs and those are my babies that I hatched?
    Same girl.

Alright, my good friend Carla has a small collection of big and small snakes. She's going to Denmark in August to become a professional dressage horse-rider, and has school set-up and everything.
    I'm probably going to inherit most of her animals, and I'm going to try to sell most of them.

She currently has a male RTB who is not growing past 4ft but is 4 years old. Another adult male RTB that is 7ft or so, and really nicely built; an adult female Macklots Python who is between 8-9ft. And she also has a young Argentine Boa (who is a gigantic jerk), and two corn snakes.

I'm probably going to try to keep the Macklots, because I'm truly a fan of her, but I know little about that species.

The issue:
    She wants her adult male RTB and small RTB to be shipped to Denmark.
    Is this possible? What are the approaches we need to take to try to do this?

She also wants me to sell the animals, because she's not sure how to go about it (and her internet is limited). Would this be problematic in any way? Would I be considered a re-saler? I feel like I can't guarantee these animals, because they're not mine.. so I'm kinda at a loss of what I should be doing.

Thanks!
    Last edited by blackcrystal22; 05-04-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks

Re: Shipping to Denmark

No one knows how to ship large animals to a different country or what legalities need to be worked out?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

There may not be a ton of folks with International shipping experience around tonight. Have you looked into the CITES permits you will need?
    --Walt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waltah! View Post
    There may not be a ton of folks with International shipping experience around tonight. Have you looked into the CITES permits you will need?
    I'm not really sure where to start.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

I'll see if I can find anything, Jess.
    --Walt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to waltah! For This Useful Post:

blackcrystal22 (05-05-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

BCI is a CITES Appendix II listed animal. So, you will need to get an export permit and you will need to get CITES paperwork. The above items will take about 3-4 weeks to aquire, and will cost you about $305. You will then need to either find a freight forwarder or do the shipping yourself. A forwarder will charge you about $500 to do it for you. You will still have to get a vet health certificate, which will cost about $150. Shipping on the airline will run you $400. If you do it yourself, you will also have to take care of the FWS inspection. Also, let your friend know that she will be responsible for the VIT taxes on her end. Lastly, she will need to check around in Denmark and find out what requirements they have for her to leagally import into the country, as everything that I discussed is on the export end. All in all, it usually costs between $800 and $1300 to ship international depending on where it is going, and if you do the shipping yourself or not.

I hope that helps,
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to muddoc For This Useful Post:

blackcrystal22 (05-05-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc View Post
    BCI is a CITES Appendix II listed animal. So, you will need to get an export permit and you will need to get CITES paperwork. The above items will take about 3-4 weeks to aquire, and will cost you about $305. You will then need to either find a freight forwarder or do the shipping yourself. A forwarder will charge you about $500 to do it for you. You will still have to get a vet health certificate, which will cost about $150. Shipping on the airline will run you $400. If you do it yourself, you will also have to take care of the FWS inspection. Also, let your friend know that she will be responsible for the VIT taxes on her end. Lastly, she will need to check around in Denmark and find out what requirements they have for her to leagally import into the country, as everything that I discussed is on the export end. All in all, it usually costs between $800 and $1300 to ship international depending on where it is going, and if you do the shipping yourself or not.

I hope that helps,
    Thank you! That helps a lot. I'll make sure to let her know all the details.