Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,062

2 members and 3,060 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Overeem: Fedor doesn't want to fight me

Alistair Overeem is on the hunt for Fedor Emelianenko, and according to the K-1 and Pride veteran from Holland, the world's top heavyweight is ducking a fight with him.

The Strikeforce heavyweight champion talked about his long standing challenge to Fedor, on the heels of the announcement that he would return on June 26 in Strikeforce to face Fabricio Werdum.

The fight has been long rumored and a popular discussion amongst fans, but Overeem feels that either Fedor or M-1 Global wants no part of a fight with him.

"I know Fedor's a fighter, he's like me he doesn't care who he fights, so maybe it's the management," Overeem said on Tuesday. "Like I said, it takes two to tango, if he doesn't want to fight or his management if that party doesn't want to fight me, it's not going to happen. But I am going to tell people what's up. I am going to tell that they didn't accept the fight."

The reasoning behind Fedor's alleged refusal of the fight seems clear to Overeem, and he's not sure if the fight will ever happen at this point.

"I think they want to keep Fedor's status as undefeated, I think they see me as a threat to that," Overeem said. "One of the managers of M-1 Global, I know him personally, he knows the way I train, he knows what I'm capable of."

The Dutch striking machine says he has lobbied for the match for a long time, but can't keep chasing him, and eventually he had to move on.

"I've been trying to fight Fedor for sometime now, and Fedor doesn't care to fight me," said Overeem. "What are you going to do if you have one party that wants to fight, and the other party doesn't want to fight, then you don't have a fight. Brett Rogers has wanted to fight me for one year, so I'm willing to fight anybody."

And as for the title being on the line against Rogers, Overeem says it's been too long away and he is happy to defend his title against all challengers. Maybe just not the one he was gunning for.

"I'm just going to fight anyone they put in front of me," said Overeem. "I think Brett did one hell of a fight with Fedor, Fedor doesn't want to fight me, it's real simple."

Alistair Overeem will defend his title next weekend against Brett Rogers in Strikeforce from St. Louis.
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - by Damon Martin
    It is kind of funny that Overeem said what I have been saying. That either Fedor or his management don't want him fighting the tough people because they want Fedor to stay top dog. Nobody wants to tarnish their record especially if they are in first place but your a fighter so step up to the plate and fight. Beat everyone down so you truly can say your top dog!!!!
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: Overeem: Fedor doesn't want to fight me

Agreed. There are many people out there who would have an even chance, if not better than an even chance, at beating Fedor in either a 3 round or 5 round competition. There's just too much money in keeping him "undefeated".
    Last edited by mainbutter; 05-05-2010 at 04:38 PM.