Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,834

1 members and 2,833 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Humidity Problem--Too High!

As some of you may know, I got all new tubs for the BPs. Though, I have a drill that drills kind of small holes..

Making my humidity really high. In the younger BP's tubs, the humidity is around 63%-66%, and for the older BP's it's around 65%-75%. It isn't wet in the tubs at all, just very humid. Is that okay? I'll keep trying to put more holes in there but I'm just worried about getting any RIs and what not.

Also, not sure if this good, but from what I read, Kenyan Sand boas need a humidity of 40% max, and before I left my house today it said 60% in her tub. I'm a bit worried, and I'm not sure if that's alright..
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Re: Humidity Problem--Too High!

I thought bps cant get ri from to high of humidity just to low of humidity
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by f4n70m View Post
    I thought bps cant get ri from to high of humidity just to low of humidity
    Somewhere I read if the humidity is too high they can get an RI, and if it's too low is causes cracking in the lungs which makes it easier for them to get an RI.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    Somewhere I read if the humidity is too high they can get an RI, and if it's too low is causes cracking in the lungs which makes it easier for them to get an RI.
    hmmm
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Tiff, When I need to bring the humidity down in my tubs, I just use an oscillating fan to blow air across the tubs. You may have to experiment a little to find out what is the best distance and speed to set the fan. It works for me and I live on the coast so I'm pretty much running the fans all summer long because of the high humidity. In the room I have my Dumerils in I have the fan sitting further away and his humidity is at 70% because he is in blue.
    In the boas room, I have the fan sitting a little closer to the tubs and their humidity is at 56%. That's about the best I can offer...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

i have heard that too about RI's but nothing has proven it yet. try more holes on the sides so the humidity can get out, or if u have lids on ur tubs try a couple small holes in the top. sometimes my tubs get humidity that high and they turn out fine. i only had 1 RI when i first got my normal and that cuz winter hit and she got too cold over night.
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

The humidity level sounds absolutely fine to me. Anything between 60 and 80% should be great, so long as it isn't wet.

I get snakes with RIs occasionally during the winter, and I attribute it to falling humidity levels as well as falling cool-side temperatures. I have never had a ball python develop an issue from excessive humidity, always from the opposite.
    Last edited by WingedWolfPsion; 05-04-2010 at 02:50 AM.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (05-04-2010),Foschi Exotic Serpents (05-04-2010),mbasile35 (06-09-2010),Smarion0006 (11-05-2014)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

I agree with winged wolf. I have never thought the humidity could be too high for BPs as long as its reasonable. Its just not something I wanted to say here without more proof. There was recently a thread about the high humidity in the burrows and termite mounds BPs live in. Which more than proves that high humidity is a must for a healthy BP. As long as it is not a moist environment. Humid air but not moist surfaces. 70 to 80% in these conditions should never cause a health problem for a BP. I keep my BPs at a slightly higher humidity anyway due to some of them living in the same caging stack as boas and borneos. No one complains

Ever wonder why our boas and bloods always shed in one piece? Yet our BPs often have good sheds and the occasional bad shed? Well its because we pay more attention to the higher humidity needs of boas and bloods, not realizing that our BPs would benefit from the same treatment. Boas and bloods are considered tropical snakes. That makes sense but how can a BP be considered anything BUT a tropical snake when they live in very humid holes in the ground? They may live in africa in areas of desert and plains but they never leave that burrow/mound until its dark and the humidity robbing sun has gone away..

Food for thought

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-06-2017),Smarion0006 (11-05-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    The humidity level sounds absolutely fine to me. Anything between 60 and 80% should be great, so long as it isn't wet.
    X2
    Mine are in that range and do great!
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    As some of you may know, I got all new tubs for the BPs. Though, I have a drill that drills kind of small holes..

Making my humidity really high. In the younger BP's tubs, the humidity is around 63%-66%, and for the older BP's it's around 65%-75%. It isn't wet in the tubs at all, just very humid. Is that okay? I'll keep trying to put more holes in there but I'm just worried about getting any RIs and what not.

Also, not sure if this good, but from what I read, Kenyan Sand boas need a humidity of 40% max, and before I left my house today it said 60% in her tub. I'm a bit worried, and I'm not sure if that's alright..
    Remember one time I was telling you the humidity in my rack was so "high." Well still pretty much the same and I haven't had any RI yet. Humidity around here is 50% at the lowest, Usualy above 60%. It flies up to 70-80 during heavy rain around the summer. As long as it doesnt get wet in the tub is all good.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast