Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,363

0 members and 2,363 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Humidity Problem--Too High!

I was wondering the same thing about sand boas. My Saharan sand boa's tub is around 50% humidity, and I had read the same thing, 40% max. Any advice? The tub has a LOT of holes.
    Just 0.1 normal BP, 1.0 mojave, 0.1 California King, 0.1 Saharan sand boa, ~20 hermit crabs, a Patriot crab, 5.0 rats, and a herd of mice and ASFs

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

For a sand boa, high humidity could be more of an issue. I would say, consider reducing the size of the water bowl, and make sure it stays on the cool side. That might help. You could also put in top ventilation (cut out part of the lid and replace it with screen), unless you're keeping the snake in a rack.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

The guy that I got my normal from last week had no holes in the tub and had condensation on the sides, which indicates 100% humidity. I know that is to high, but she is healthy as can be! No signs of RI. I have put lots of holes in the tubs to bring it down to 65%. And I keep the water bowl far away from the heat source until they are in blue, then I push it towards the back until I get the humidity level I want.

1.0 Spinner
    1.1 Mojaves
    1.2 Pastels
    1.0 Black Pastel
    0.3 Normals
    1.0 Anerytheristic Corn
    55 gal. African Cichlids

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    The humidity level sounds absolutely fine to me. Anything between 60 and 80% should be great, so long as it isn't wet.

I get snakes with RIs occasionally during the winter, and I attribute it to falling humidity levels as well as falling cool-side temperatures. I have never had a ball python develop an issue from excessive humidity, always from the opposite.
    I was living in Florida before and I always have hum between 65-75% AND EVEN BUMP IT MORE FOR BEFORE SHEDDING. i have only successful full sheds if i have 80% and up hum during shedding process... Now I'm in NY and Keep hum between 55-65 and for sure gonna bump it higher if i see Odin going blue..

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Thanks
    I'm not sure I understand "wet" because I have a cardboard tube I got from work that I cut in half and put holes in. My little girl loves them. Great hides and they are nice and dark.
    It's winter, so my humidity levels get below 40%, but when I get home, I squirt the tubes with my squirt bottle and the paper towel that sits directly under the heat lamp. Of course the paper towel is wet and so are the tubes, so I'm curious as to how you all get your humidity without wetness.

My paper towel is under the lamp so it gets evaporated and turns into some good humidity. The wet tubes are there to help maintain, at which it does a great job.

Should I be worried? I can include pictures if needed.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by n6packer View Post
    I'm not sure I understand "wet" because I have a cardboard tube I got from work that I cut in half and put holes in. My little girl loves them. Great hides and they are nice and dark.
    It's winter, so my humidity levels get below 40%, but when I get home, I squirt the tubes with my squirt bottle and the paper towel that sits directly under the heat lamp. Of course the paper towel is wet and so are the tubes, so I'm curious as to how you all get your humidity without wetness.

My paper towel is under the lamp so it gets evaporated and turns into some good humidity. The wet tubes are there to help maintain, at which it does a great job.

Should I be worried? I can include pictures if needed.
    Spray the sides of the enclosure so it drips down and only wets the edges of the paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Buttercups (08-25-2019)

Thanks
    Found this thread for the people who were curious about high humidity issues (including myself). I'm sitting in the mid 90s right now w. no condensation. None of my substrate was wet before I put it down. Since I'm a new BP owner, I'm unsure if this is a problem. Seems like a lot of mixed reviews out there but wanted to share for others in the same boat.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Newbie39 (09-01-2017)

Thanks

What humidity gauges does everyone use?

Thanks

I was worried about the same issue. My new tub is set to go. Temps are perfect. But humidity seemed high. I contacted the breeder today and they said not to worry about it to much except during shed. Making sure it doesn't get to much over 80 and don't let dip below 50/55. He seemed more concerned about my high and low temps. That being said I may have a snake by early next week. So exciting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ebbanflo View Post
    What humidity gauges does everyone use?
    I have a small humidity gauge/therm. probed to the hot side on the bottom of the tub that I got of amazon. I bought a wireless accurate (I think it's called). Seems like a popular choice on here. for the cool side that just sits on top of the newspaper. It also gauges temp./humidity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast