Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

4 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Unhappy Help! Gross-Looking Problem...

I've had this male blue-hooded rat for about a month now. He was larger than all the other males he was caged with (at the pet store, which told me he was 6 months old), and also the only one being 'blue'. It... Was an impulse buy. Bad, yes, I know. But I had to have him.

I'm paying for it now. He's covered in scabs, and won't stop scratching. He bleeds from the scratching and has bare spots underneath his chin. I've seen this before with other pet rats I've owned in the past. From what I know, it's a sign of them being "on their way out"... After the scabs, they start bleeding from all orifices. Nose, mouth, eyes, ears, etc. I haven't seen any of that yet, so I'm hoping there's something I can do. One clerk at the store said it might be "invisible mites". However, I'm doubting that, since he doesn't have the "cottage cheese" ears.

Please, help! I adore this rat, and I'd hate for his stay to be so short. He hasn't been exposed to any outside influences. I keep my breeder mice yards away from his tank, and they are all healthy.
    0.1 '09 Normal Ball Python - Sheva
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Sol
    1.0 SHTCTB Leopard Gecko - Paradox
    1.0 Cockatiel - Mo (Mohawk)
    0.1 Peachfaced Lovebird - Bean
    0.2 Mischievous, long-haired cats - Moxxi and Azura
    And 1.0 incredible, loving husband.

Thanks

Re: Help! Gross-Looking Problem...

Take him to the vet as soon as you can, this seems to be a pretty serious problem. I'm not too sure what this is, but I would really consider taking it to an exotic vet that does specialize in rodents to take a look.
    Tiff'z Morphz

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolioTiffany For This Useful Post:

Moofins07 (04-29-2010)

Thanks

I'd seriously consider taking him to your vet.

In the meantime; what are you feeding him? What type of bedding are you keeping him on?

There can be several causes for "scabs". One (and the most often I see) is too much protein in his diet. Another cause could be lice or mites. I also see unsanitary conditions, irritation to the bedding and allergic reactions to a food. There could be dozens of causes.

I'd start off by looking at the amount of protein you are giving him. Then, I'd give him a bathe in warm water, using something like baby shampoo or dog shampoo for sensitive skin. Go down to your local vet and pick up a tube of Advantage Kitten (topical). Use a tiny drop between his shoulder blades. This will take care of any external parasite he might have. I'd also consider changing his bedding to fleece or flannel until he gets over this problem. It wouldn't hurt to take a bit of bread and dip it in a small amount of olive oil and give to him to eat. This will help with dry skin.

Also, don't forget to clean and treat the wounds, but wipe off anything excess as he'll clean it off himself. I'd use a iodine rinse right before you wash him with baby shampoo. Remember not to give him a bath more than once every month or two though, this can dry out his skin. After the iodine rinse/bath, I'd use a Q-tip to apply the medicine after that.
    Last edited by Michelle.C; 04-27-2010 at 06:25 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle.C For This Useful Post:

Moofins07 (04-29-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.C View Post
    I'd seriously consider taking him to your vet.

In the meantime; what are you feeding him? What type of bedding are you keeping him on?

There can be several causes for "scabs". One (and the most often I see) is too much protein in his diet. Another cause could be lice or mites. I also see unsanitary conditions, irritation to the bedding and allergic reactions to a food. There could be dozens of causes.

I'd start off by looking at the amount of protein you are giving him. Then, I'd give him a bathe in warm water, using something like baby shampoo or dog shampoo for sensitive skin. Go down to your local vet and pick up a tube of Advantage Kitten (topical). Use a tiny drop between his shoulder blades. This will take care of any external parasite he might have. I'd also consider changing his bedding to fleece or flannel until he gets over this problem. It wouldn't hurt to take a bit of bread and dip it in a small amount of olive oil and give to him to eat. This will help with dry skin.

Also, don't forget to clean and treat the wounds, but wipe off anything excess as he'll clean it off himself. I'd use a iodine rinse right before you wash him with baby shampoo. Remember not to give him a bath more than once every month or two though, this can dry out his skin. After the iodine rinse/bath, I'd use a Q-tip to apply the medicine after that.
    Thanks so much for all the great tips!

I did read that too much protein can cause the scabs, so I've cut out all seeds and nuts from his diet. He is strictly on lab blocks for now. I keep him on pine, and I'm positive this is what he was on at the pet store, and he appeared perfectly healthy then. The scabs started to show up a week after I bought him, so I'm thinking it's some kind of allergic reaction... But to what, I have NO idea. Maybe the clear caulking that fills the seams of his tank? I don't know...

So far, the only medical treatment I've been able to do so far is clip his nails (very carefully) and apply a topical anti-bacterial ointment. It's a very expensive tube of ointment, but I can't recall the name. It sounds similar to Bactine, but I know that isn't it. I rubbed it into his skin and fur as best I could. This was last night, and he doesn't appear to be ill from it, so I'm sure it isn't harmful to him. His scabs only cover the areas his hind legs can reach - behind the ears, shoulders, chin, and face. If it were allergies or too much protein, wouldn't his entire body be affected?

Thank you for all the help! I'll take him to a vet as soon as I get paid this Friday...
    Last edited by Moofins07; 04-29-2010 at 01:33 AM.
    0.1 '09 Normal Ball Python - Sheva
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Sol
    1.0 SHTCTB Leopard Gecko - Paradox
    1.0 Cockatiel - Mo (Mohawk)
    0.1 Peachfaced Lovebird - Bean
    0.2 Mischievous, long-haired cats - Moxxi and Azura
    And 1.0 incredible, loving husband.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moofins07 View Post
    I keep him on pine, and I'm positive this is what he was on at the pet store, and he appeared perfectly healthy then.
    If it's kiln dried pine you might get away with it, aspen is the recommended wood product for rodents.
    Google pine bedding for rodents
    Jerry Robertson