Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 889

2 members and 887 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Pest Control meets Snake

I was just reading another thread about the 53 yr old man cutting off the rattlesnakes head. Very sad, especially when there are other alternatives.

I have worked in the Pest Control Industry for most of my life. We get several calls on snakes. Mostly from people who are outside our city limits, in less developed areas. The factor that goes along with most snake infestations is that there is also a rodent infestation, which is why the snake is there anyway. They follow their food source. I get alot of calls from people living near a field. When the field is cut, the mice come running and soon after the snakes slither in.

Im happy to say that we DO NOT kill the snakes. We use a product called SNAKE AWAY. It comes in granular form, and can be broadcast around the perimeter of the home as a barrier. The snakes are repelled and will not breach the line. The main ingredient is the same main ingredient that is used to make moth balls. Snakes are repelled by moth balls. lol so simple. The only problem is that if a snake is on the property it will not be able to leave. So a good inspection is needed before applying.

We had a snake call out a couple of days ago, it turned out to be a rat snake. The lady of the house told the tech to leave it on her property and maybe it would get rid of the mice she had been having a problem with.

Sorry so long winded....

Thanks

Re: Pest Control meets Snake

I hate how some people are so against snakes, like your example of the man cutting of a snakes head. There are def. many other alternatives to getting rid of snakes without killing them, or at least being humane. The ridiculous part is that people have an unreasonable fear of snakes because of their lack of knowledge about it, if people saw a random cat on their property they would do the best they could to scare it away, not just go ahead and kill it.
    1.1 Yellowbelly "Samson"/"Lily"
    0.1 Pastel
    0.2 Normals??
    0.0.4 Baby Chickens
    & 4 Herp Shows

http://herpdaily.com/breeder-intervi...iness-success/
    Just a good little article

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Bizarre For This Useful Post:

Beardedragon (04-23-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

I wish there was a snake attractant product to lure something to eat all the pests that get into our garden every year.

Unfortunatly, I don't think even garter snakes live near where we have our garden.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    I wish there was a snake attractant product to lure something to eat all the pests that get into our garden every year.

Unfortunatly, I don't think even garter snakes live near where we have our garden.
    There actually is; use dirty rodent bedding as mulch or just place it in an area around a place you'd like to see an increase in passing snakes. It really works wonders for improving field herping around your house, barn, etc. I walk outside and see Black Rats, Kings, Racers, Garters, etc. All of the time since I've been doing this.

Be sure that your neighbors don't mind the occasional snake basking on your sidewalk though. I live in the country, so that's not a problem here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post

To bad more people dont have this attitude. Snakes in the wild do have a purpose.

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

We have rattlers here in my area...quite a few actually. They don't kill them...we have a company that comes in and removes them and relocates them. I have never heard of snake away.....that is awesome, thank you for the info. I have heard of the moth ball trick though. Hence we have them outside our gates....lol.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list