Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,993

2 members and 2,991 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: What do you Feed your Cats?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dry

18 43.90%
  • Wet

6 14.63%
  • Combo

14 34.15%
  • Other?

3 7.32%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Dry food, Wet Food, Or Both

Mine will kill bugs and mice, and then have literally no idea what to do with it.
    "Be Excellent to each other, And Party on Dudes."
    Pets
    1.2 Cats (Hyuga, Luna, Saki)
    0.1 Woma Python
    1.1 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pastel "Opera",1.0 Pinstripe, 1.0 Spider "Carcillo"
    0.0.1 Striped California Kingsnake "Ceaser" 0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake "Bullet"
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos

Registered User Charlie And Lucy's Avatar
    Thanks

Ours get free fed dry and then as a treat they get soft food, which they go crazy over whenever their bowl goes from the dishwasher to the cupboard. They get regular cat treats every now and then but most of them won't eat treats.

They catch flies too and ladybugs outside on our balcony. They've taught themselves how to do flips trying to catch flies!
    ANDREA

1.1 Normal Ball Pythons - Charlie and Lucy
    1.1 Red Tail Boa - Arcadia and Hades
    0.1 Blood Python - Allison
    1.0 Diamond x Jungle Carpet Python - Diomedes
    3.0 Cats - Rhett, Diesel and Nabisco
    1.0 Gerbil - Moo
    1.0 Field Mouse - Waddles
    RIP Rainie Girl. I'll see you at the Rainbow Bridge.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

Thanks

my kitties get both... a can split between the three of them in the morning and also dry food all day.
    Lena

9.15 ball pythons
    1.1 boas Tarzan, Ziva
    0.2 cats
    1 Fab Rat terrier- Roxy

1 G. Pulchra- Phoebe
    1. A. Avic- Sheiba
    1 B. Smithi
    1 Chaco Golden Knee

Thanks

My Ira is a spoiled brat. He eats mostly dry food but gets a third of a can of wet food daily (that stuff is so fattening, I doubt we'd give him so much if he weren't an outdoor cat and generally very active). The thing is, he usually pesters me for wet food early in the afternoons, so I'll give him his third of a can. Then, later in the evenings he'll beg my mom to let him in and give him his wet food. Then he'll go to my dad and my brothers. So, most of the time he gets a good deal more than 1/3 a can every day!

Yeah, we end up with some birds at our doorstep. Not from Ira, he's the only one of the four neighborhood cats that doesn't hunt, but the others catch stuff all the time, though Ivan's the only one I've ever seen eat any of his catches.

Thanks

My cat albert is on dry food because the poor boy can't keep wet food down. He always throws it up. We try feeding it to him in small portions, but he either eats it so fast or his stomach just cant handle it...we're not sure...but I'm sick of picking up wet cat food vomit

Thanks

When they're kittens they get the special milk, water, some vitamins (sometimes), some kitten dry food, and a little bit of wet stuff.

When they're adults, they get an adult dry food mixed with a hairball control dry food. And lots of treats!
    Christina

0.1 Normal BP "Cleo"
    1.1 Bearded Dragons "Munch" and "Ziggy"
    1.0 Red Eared Slider "Norwell"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

My cats always got dry food. My currant cat PrettyFace not only ate dry food, she would go and eat the DOG'S dry food instead of her own dry food.

Right now, she's having issues with kidney failure, and aha!! I hear some of you wet food folks gearing up to shout "See! That's why she has kidney failure!"

She's 23 years old.

Did you read that correctly? 23. At this point, if she didn't have something wrong with her kidneys or some other major organ, I'd suspect aliens.

I bottle raised her, and she went on dry food and has eaten strictly dry food for 22.5 years. She's now on the special kidney canned diet food (at $2 a freakin' can too!) and doing just fine.

So as far as I'm concerned, all my cats and my 23 year old cat all did perfectly fine on dry food only and also, the 23 year old has darned decent teeth(and all of her teeth). I would never presume to tell people that they MUST feed their cats dry food, wet food, raw food, or whole prey items. I'm just telling you what worked for me.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

I feed only dry food to my cats, it is ssoooo much better for maintaining their teeth. I stay away from any fish flavors though, thats where you get urinary problems, too much salt. I learned that from the vet I worked for. I am extremely picky about the type of dry food I feed though. I feed Taste of the Wild cat food. Its made with meat, fruits, & veggies, no fillers and definately no grains of any kind. Its also the brand I feed my dogs as well. Its an excellent choice if you have animals with allergies.

Thanks

My cats are on the Royal Canin Urinary SO forumula. $50 a bag sucks, but the vet visits were costing more.

I'm currently looking into a raw diet. Logically, couldn't I just put a couple thawed mice in their bowl? That would finally give me a good excuse for buying mice in bulk. I am researching it, and most sources say chicken. Why not a natural food item, eh?
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks

Coming from someone who works in a high volume boarding facility & vet, wet food does far more damage to cat's teeth than dry food. We consistently find that the cats with the more extensive dental problems (and obesity!) and on the soft/canned food exclusive diet. Dry food acts as a dental "toothbrush" and can eliminate tartar and plaque buildup.

Mine gets a 1/4 cup dry and a 1/3 of canned as a "treat" and motivation to eat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast