Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,178

2 members and 3,176 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: People like this should be locked up

Quote Originally Posted by NCtrickFL View Post
    If you read the entirety of my post you will understand. It's all about what you consider life.

O and I just remembered this, to the guy earlier who said insects don't benefit the environment...seriously? Or was that a joke? I honestly don't know how to take that.
    you must have a reading problem or something. I never generalized all insects not benefiting the environment, I singled out misquotes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    Comparing a insect to a snake is kinda childish. Misquotes carry more diseases that a snake could ever dream of. Of course people will want them killed as they have no beneficiary factor to the wilderness cept transferring disease.
    They have nearly the same beneficial presence in the environment as snakes. Mosquitoes serve as food for a variety of species of bats, fish, amphibians, and birds. They presence of the diseases is actually a check on the environment as a whole.

Snakes serve to keep populations in check as well, but as predators.

So though you might not think that is a "beneficiary factor to the wilderness" you are wrong. The bottom of the food chain still represents a link in the chain

Thanks

A word of caution is warranted here. If you find a snake and you do not know whether or not it is venomous, the safest thing to do is leave it alone. Florida snakes are not aggressive and, unless they are cornered, most will flee when humans approach. Occasionally, you might encounter one that is reluctant to leave because it is basking in the sun to get warm. Among snakebite victims, an unacceptably high number are bitten on the hands and arms when they are handling the snake. Do not catch a snake and do not handle one unless you are sure it is not venomous. In addition, for a short time after a snake is killed, its reflexes may continue to work. Those reflexes typically cause the body to writhe slowly for awhile, but they can cause a convulsive contraction and a bite, so you should not handle a freshly killed venomous snake. Our Online Guide to the Fla. Snakes contains a Key to Identification which will identify any Florida snake you might find and tell you whether it is vemonous or harmless.

Source: :cens0r:http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology...e/venomsnk.htm

The Eastern Diamond-backed Rattlesnake is extremely beneficial to man because it preys on rats, mice, rabbits, and other warm blooded prey, many of which are considered pests. Nevertheless, the general public in Florida feels so threatened by this and other snakes that many are killed without consideration. This indiscriminate killing, combined with the widespread loss of Rattlesnake habitat to agricultural development and urban sprawl and commercial hunting for Rattlesnake skins, has caused a severe decline in most Eastern Diamond-backed Rattlesnake populations.

Source : :cens0r:http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology...adamanteus.htm

The chances of being bitten by a venomous snake in the United States are very low, and the chance of death is virtually nonexistent, particularly given the availability and quality of medical care in the U.S. Approximately one out of 37,500 people are bitten by venomous snakes in the U.S. each year (7-8,000 bites per year), and only one out of 50 million people will die from snakebite (5-6 fatalities per year). The graph below compares deaths from venomous snakebites to some leading causes of death, lightning strikes and other animal related deaths. Did you know that you are nine times more likely to die from being struck by lightning than you are to die of venomous snakebite?

Source : :cens0r:http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/venom...ake_faqs.shtml
    Last edited by Jeremy78; 04-19-2010 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    I live out in the desert and we have a preserves on both sides of us...even though it is a community. We see rattle snakes on a yearly basis. Personally scares the bejezus out of me. We do teach desert safety and we teach kids not to do certain things. One being...if the ball goes under a bush....get a rake to get it....do NOT reach in and get it. Be aware when you are out in the desert ..listen and look. We also take precautions to make sure that our backyard is blocked off. We net off the holes in the walls that allow water to flow out....make sure our gates are tight to the ground etc. If and when I see rattle snakes...we have a number to call so they are relocated. However lots of others kill them. We also have many kingsnakes here...those are treated like little gods around here.

To me if it can be relocated...then do it. After all...we moved into their turf.
    very good info most accidents can be avoided with a small amount of education. On a side note I have noticed though at least from my personal experience the last say 6 or 7 rattlers that I have come across do not rattle. I wish I could find the article but researchers were saying that rattlers are becoming less likely to rattle and give away their positions. They are relying more on their camo for protection.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I don't understand why this is even news. People kill rattlers all the time. Especially farmers to protect their livestock, kids and other animals. Really no different than killing something like a mountain lion that has decided to hang out in your backyard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bsd13 View Post
    I don't understand why this is even news. People kill rattlers all the time. Especially farmers to protect their livestock, kids and other animals. Really no different than killing something like a mountain lion that has decided to hang out in your backyard.

Had you just shot a mountain lion for merely hanging out in your backyard you'd get locked up jesus christ people think before you post
    Last edited by dr del; 04-20-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: removing T.O.S violation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JEWSKIN View Post
    Had you just shot a mountain lion for merely hanging out in your backyard you'd get locked up jesus christ people think before you post
    i agree
    my channel plz check it out!

www.youtube.com/reptopia

Thanks

Depends on what the mountain lion was doing. If it attacked you/livestock, then yes, you could probably shoot it under the idea of it being a danger to humans/livestock. You'd have to call the game warden afterwards.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Depends on what the mountain lion was doing. If it attacked you/livestock, then yes, you could probably shoot it under the idea of it being a danger to humans/livestock. You'd have to call the game warden afterwards.
    if it was attacking you you could kill it and it would be understandable, but if it was just cutting thru your yard minding its own business like the rattle was doing and you killed it youd be in some trouble
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks

LMFAO

niicccee

1.0 Pastel 09
    0.1 Pinstripe 13
    1.0 Champagne 13
    0.2 Pastel 13
    0.1 Normal Het Albino 13
    1.0 Albino 13

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast