Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,454

1 members and 1,453 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: People like this should be locked up

NEVER EVER I dont care if its venomous or not kill a living animal cause its too close to your house. Ever hear of laws, all it takes is one person to call animal control that you killed a NATIVE species and now you have legal problems that could be avoided.

Capture the animal RELOCATE it to a safer place, never do they need to be killed, who are we to say what lives and what doesn't because it MIGHT cause a problem but 99% of the time their just PASSING though
    Last edited by RichsBallPythons; 04-15-2010 at 07:15 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

Charlie And Lucy (04-15-2010)

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

I live out in the desert and we have a preserves on both sides of us...even though it is a community. We see rattle snakes on a yearly basis. Personally scares the bejezus out of me. We do teach desert safety and we teach kids not to do certain things. One being...if the ball goes under a bush....get a rake to get it....do NOT reach in and get it. Be aware when you are out in the desert ..listen and look. We also take precautions to make sure that our backyard is blocked off. We net off the holes in the walls that allow water to flow out....make sure our gates are tight to the ground etc. If and when I see rattle snakes...we have a number to call so they are relocated. However lots of others kill them. We also have many kingsnakes here...those are treated like little gods around here.

To me if it can be relocated...then do it. After all...we moved into their turf.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BPelizabeth For This Useful Post:

771subliminal (04-15-2010),Jay_Bunny (04-15-2010),joepythons (04-15-2010),Tikall (04-16-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 771subliminal View Post
    your 21 and live around several hots have you stepped outside on one and been bit? how many people that you know personally have been bit? and im willing to bet that people in your area have not killed them all off.

dogs, cats, birds, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, etc all can bite and can all carry some diseases that can kill you but yet people dont go out and kill everyone that is around cuz some kid might get bit.
    When I was a kid I lived in Winston-Salem NC and I had some very close run-ins with snakes, venomous and non.

My dog was struck at, and luckily missed, by a copperhead in my neighborhood. My dad swiftly sent him into after life.

Then while on my bike as cottonmouth struck at me as I pedaled over a bridge near a lake.

So no, I have never been bit but I have had run-ins with poisonous snakes. And I have left the majority of them alive. The only one killed was the one in my neighborhood. The ones in the mountains and nature trails I've always left alone.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NCtrickFL View Post
    When I was a kid I lived in Winston-Salem NC and I had some very close run-ins with snakes, venomous and non.

My dog was struck at, and luckily missed, by a copperhead in my neighborhood. My dad swiftly sent him into after life.

Then while on my bike as cottonmouth struck at me as I pedaled over a bridge near a lake.

So no, I have never been bit but I have had run-ins with poisonous snakes. And I have left the majority of them alive. The only one killed was the one in my neighborhood. The ones in the mountains and nature trails I've always left alone.
    Never heard of a poisonous snake before must be new.

Poisonous and Venomous are 2 diff types. Be sure you talk about the right one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    NEVER EVER I dont care if its venomous or not kill a living animal cause its too close to your house. Ever hear of laws, all it takes is one person to call animal control that you killed a NATIVE species and now you have legal problems that could be avoided.

Capture the animal RELOCATE it to a safer place, never do they need to be killed, who are we to say what lives and what doesn't because it MIGHT cause a problem but 99% of the time their just PASSING though
    In Oklahoma, if there is a wild animal harassing your animals, i.e coyote, bobcat, etc, you can shoot it. Just have to call the game warden. Additionally, animal control doesn't exist in the country.

I've killed venomous snakes before. Generally to protect pets. While I know to run the other way, dogs tend to be stupid and go "Thing in my yard! yapyapyapyapyap!". There's no one to call to remove the snakes and I'm certainly not brave enough to go and relocate it, either. If the snake is out in the pasture/woods/large ponds, I leave it alone. The house/small pond is a no go area for venomous snakes.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

I replied to the article with the very obvious suggestion.

Venomous snake? Drop a bucket on top of it, and call someone to come and remove it. Safer than trying to kill it, or moving it yourself.

(I would just grab my snake hook and remove the thing, personally. Being bitten requires being within strike range, so as long as you don't get that close, you're fine).

If I lived in an area where venomous snakes were common, I'd buy tongs specifically for that purpose.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NCtrickFL View Post
    Sorry I love snakes, but danger is danger. I would rather him kill the snake than get bitten trying to trap it. Human life comes first. And I know the snake wasn't attacking the people, but some kid could have stepped outside onto it and been bit.
    Did you even read the story? He pinned the snake down and CUT ITS HEAD OFF. If he was able to pin it down and cut its head off, he could have JUST AS EASILY trapped it.

He had it pinned down.... Its not like he did a matrix jump through the air and sliced it blindfolded with a knife.

He could have easily trapped it but he chose to be a jerk about it and try to be a tough guy and cut the snakes head off.

1.0 Pastel 09
    0.1 Pinstripe 13
    1.0 Champagne 13
    0.2 Pastel 13
    0.1 Normal Het Albino 13
    1.0 Albino 13

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

So those of you who agree with the OP.. What exactly do you want to be illegal? Killing of any and all reptiles?

I personally find the killing of non-endangered venomous snakes solely out of fear to be distasteful, but I'd never vote for a law to lock up people who do so.
    Last edited by mainbutter; 04-15-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    So those of you who agree with the OP.. What exactly do you want to be illegal? Killing of any and all reptiles?
    I never asked for a law to be passed. I just ask for people to use their brains instead of chopping off an animals head.... Is that too much to ask for? Compassion?

If a stray dog was walking past a house with some cats that live there, would you run up to it and cut its freggin head off?

1.0 Pastel 09
    0.1 Pinstripe 13
    1.0 Champagne 13
    0.2 Pastel 13
    0.1 Normal Het Albino 13
    1.0 Albino 13

Thanks

RichsBallPythons don't be a nitpicker I wasn't very precise, but seriously man, everyone knew exactly what i meant.

And this isn't what the topic is about anyway. I agree, he could have done a more sustainable thing for the environment by not killing the snake...but he does not deserved to be chastised and blasted on here. This is freaking pathetic. Anyone on here that came out against this guy is a freaking hypocrite, unless you can honestly say you have never killed a mosquito or ant purposefully. So really just back off and move on to a more constructive process. Like trying to raise awareness OUTSIDE of the reptile community. You're basically preaching to the choir in here
    Last edited by dr del; 04-15-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: removing T.O.S violation

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast