Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,376

1 members and 3,375 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
    Thanks

Re: People like this should be locked up

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    only one that's been bit, and I've probably had a total of almost 150 goats here, counting the ones that have been sold/died.

150 goats and only one has been bit, and im willing to bet that you havnt gone around and killed off all the hots that are on or near your land?

you know animals are not as dumb as you may think they are, birds dont eat some butterflies cuz they know them to be poisonous and rattlesnakes dont have rattles because of humans its for all animals and it seems to have worked so far. nature works till we screw it up.

how man ranchers live in areas where there are venomous snakes and have thousands of livestock and lose few to none due to snake bites?

i know my uncle has ran several cattle farms for 40+ years and has never said anything about losing a animal to a snake bite and believe me when i say if it happened you would hear about it cuz he never stops talking about his cattle.
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks

as far as people breeding snakes and culling them off well that's their choice and frankly I wouldn't do it but that's me......as far as calling fish and game or law enforcement yeah everywhere they are cracking down especially here too many endangered species due to macho people thinking omg it was a gonna eat me walking a hundred yards away in the opposite direction or omg that snake was in the dirt off the side of the road and there may have been some threat about it so I swerved to hit it.....Pretty soon people are going to realize the laws change with out them knowing it only in the last few years has operation game thief been in action now and well people are paying the price

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 771subliminal View Post
    150 goats and only one has been bit, and im willing to bet that you havnt gone around and killed off all the hots that are on or near your land?

you know animals are not as dumb as you may think they are, birds dont eat some butterflies cuz they know them to be poisonous and rattlesnakes dont have rattles because of humans its for all animals and it seems to have worked so far. nature works till we screw it up.

how man ranchers live in areas where there are venomous snakes and have thousands of livestock and lose few to none due to snake bites?

i know my uncle has ran several cattle farms for 40+ years and has never said anything about losing a animal to a snake bite and believe me when i say if it happened you would hear about it cuz he never stops talking about his cattle.
    As I mentioned, I'm on 80 acres and have only killed the hots up near the house. It'd be impossible to go and kill off all the hots. While animals might not be dumb, they are overly curious. I've had many animals get injured due to how curious they are. Additionally, cattle are much different than goats. Size, for one example.

The average weight of a cow is 1400. The average weight of a goat is say..120. The cow is about 12 times heavier than the goat, meaning the venom will be diluted. I once had a 1200 pound horse get bit by a snake. Other than localized swelling, she was fine. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had a 60 pound goat get bit who ended up losing some muscle function after being bit.

I'd also hazard a guess that you're uncle doesn't have five ponds near/on his property and a large network of creeks like I do (I have three ponds on the property, two that are about 100 meters apart with a third that's about a quarter mile away. On either side of the property, you can hop a fence and find two more ponds. Crisscrossed over the east and south part of the property are numerous creeks..In short: prime cottonmouth territory).

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Thanks

As I mentioned, I'm on 80 acres and have only killed the hots up near the house. It'd be impossible to go and kill off all the hots. While animals might not be dumb, they are overly curious. I've had many animals get injured due to how curious they are. Additionally, cattle are much different than goats. Size, for one example.

The average weight of a cow is 1400. The average weight of a goat is say..120. The cow is about 12 times heavier than the goat, meaning the venom will be diluted. I once had a 1200 pound horse get bit by a snake. Other than localized swelling, she was fine. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had a 60 pound goat get bit who ended up losing some muscle function after being bit.

I'd also hazard a guess that you're uncle doesn't have five ponds near/on his property and a large network of creeks like I do (I have three ponds on the property, two that are about 100 meters apart with a third that's about a quarter mile away. On either side of the property, you can hop a fence and find two more ponds. Crisscrossed over the east and south part of the property are numerous creeks..In short: prime cottonmouth territory).
    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by JEWSKIN View Post
    as far as people breeding snakes and culling them off well that's their choice and frankly I wouldn't do it but that's me......as far as calling fish and game or law enforcement yeah everywhere they are cracking down especially here too many endangered species due to macho people thinking omg it was a gonna eat me walking a hundred yards away in the opposite direction or omg that snake was in the dirt off the side of the road and there may have been some threat about it so I swerved to hit it.....Pretty soon people are going to realize the laws change with out them knowing it only in the last few years has operation game thief been in action now and well people are paying the price
    Culling is part of any breeding operation. You're going to get subpar animals and you're going to have to find a method of unloading them. I'm fairly certain you wouldn't keep and breed a snake with severe kinks. Also..fish and wildlife isn't going to care about killing cottonmouths and copperheads. They're not endangered in the least bit.

Edit: oh snap. Hit the quote button instead of edit >_<
    Last edited by Raptor; 04-23-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks

you would be very wrong on that guess he also has several ponds and a couple creeks that go threw his property (well the one he lives at i havent been to all of the ones that he over sees) fished and swam in them all the time growing up and had quite a few run ins with hots as well.

14lbs or 1400 if something gets tagged by a hot it would leave some sort of in most cases and still havent heard any of those.

plus 1 bite out of 150 goats on 80 acres in prime cottonmouth country thats pretty low considering how dangerous they are that they have to be killed to protect your livestock. either you killed more than your saying or they are not as dangerous as we think.

and compareing killing a hot to killing a wolf, moutain lions etc is wrong. a moutain lion can be an actual threat to your livestock as they see it as a food and a snake only would bite them in order to protect themselves.
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 771subliminal View Post
    14lbs or 1400 if something gets tagged by a hot it would leave some sort of in most cases and still havent heard any of those.
    Not always. On the horse, the welling went down in a matter of days. If you're not going out and checking the animals daily, you're not going to find anything.

plus 1 bite out of 150 goats on 80 acres in prime cottonmouth country thats pretty low considering how dangerous they are that they have to be killed to protect your livestock. either you killed more than your saying or they are not as dangerous as we think.
    The goats aren't allowed on all 80 acres. They're allowed in different pastures for a certain amount of time. The pastures range from 5-20 acres. Since the herd doesn't always spread out, there's a lot lower chance of them running into multiple snakes. Plus with the livestock guard dogs running about..I'm sure the lot make a lot of noise/vibrations.

and compareing killing a hot to killing a wolf, moutain lions etc is wrong. a moutain lion can be an actual threat to your livestock as they see it as a food and a snake only would bite them in order to protect themselves.
    If it's an animal that can result in death or injury of my livestock, it's a threat.

Thanks

Here's the deal. I live around rattlers, not many here specifically, but the area is known for some here and there. Because of the rare sightings, if I found one in my yard .. in my neighborhood, I honestly would do one of two things right away.

1) Find a bucket and trap it .. see if I can move it safely. If not, see if someone else can move is safely.

2) kill it

I would have zero issues killing a poisonous snake that was in my neighborhood. none. It's spring time, I see little kids rolling around on the grass, and running between houses and through lawns. I know what I was like as a kid, and my gut instict is if this is found by a kid, there will be issues .. I just don't even want to think about that chance happening.

Would I call the press? no. Do I understand what went through his mind? yes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Samuel For This Useful Post:

bsd13 (04-23-2010)

Thanks

Venomous snakes will find a way to let you know they are there they'd rather not waste their venom on something they can't eat...not to mention it has been proven and documented that a venomous snake will let you pretty much step on it with out striking so long as you don't reach for it.....as far as children go well they should be educated first and foremost about what is safe and what isn't or even to back away when they see a snake and get an adult there are much better ways to go about this than just killing on site

Thanks

Ya Jewskin that's easy to say. But we tell kids all the time not to run in the road, or play in that lake, or go inside the barn that's about to fall over. They do it anyway. They're kids!! And if your childhood was anything like mine, you understand the danger, but...I don't know its just too easy to ignore the advice.

Accidents happen and children die. It is a horrible fact, but it happens. No child on earth made it through childhood without an injury of some kind.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213