All roads lead to the UFC. At least that is what every mixed martial artist would hope. Unfortunately for most fighters, that is not the case. Some will spend their entire careers trying to make it to the big leagues and never arrive at their destination. Others get an opportunity and make the most of it with a successful run. Then there are the ones who make it, but find the road to be a bit bumpy and before they know it, they are farther away than when they started. That last road may be the toughest road of all. Seth Petruzelli is currently at the edge of a journey he has already traveled, waiting. However, not one to sit idly by, “The Silverback” has recently taken the steps to once again reach his goal.

Seth Petruzelli made it to the big stage as one of “The Ultimate Fighter” season two contestants. He earned his reputation by being an undersized heavyweight that just could not be put away. Once the show was over Petruzelli began training for what he hoped to be a successful in the UFC.

Various injuries would postpone his debut, but when he finally made his first appearance Petruzelli faced off with season three contestant Matt Hamill. After a competitive battle, in which Petruzelli stunned Hamill at one point in the fight, he lost a unanimous decision. Petruzelli took a fight outside of the UFC then returned a few months later, where he would be submitted by Wilson Gouveia.

Now currently on a three fight win streak, including his famous 14 second stoppage of Kimbo Slice, Petruzelli looks to return to the Octagon more motivated than ever. His next bout will be against Ryan White at BAMMA 3 on May 15 in Birminham, England. “The Silverback” recently took a few minutes to discuss his career and upcoming fight with MMA Spot’s Luis Cruz.

--------------------

Luis Cruz: What can you tell us about your next fight and opponent?
Petruzelli: My upcoming fight is for BAMMA in Birmingham, England. I don't know much about my opponent, Ryan White, other than he's a limey person. I'll be looking for the KO early.

LC: You seem to be on a real mission to get another shot in the UFC, is it for the sole reason of just competing with the best in the sport, is it a financial thing, a rematch with Kimbo to erase all doubt, or a combination of all of these?
SP: You said it, a combo of all those things. Maybe it’s not so much financial because I probably get more money outside of the UFC. The UFC is the NFL of the MMA world so I want to be where the best are! I’ll fight anyone at 205 pounds or heavyweight, give me the best!

LC: You have had fights lined up that haven’t exactly panned out. The two that come to mind were scheduled fights with Ken Shamrock and Houston Alexander. What happened and why did they fall through?
SP: Well it’s because promoters don’t think things through I guess. Ask them. I’m ready to fight all the time. It’s not my fault when promotions don’t follow through. The Houston fight was because I just signed with Monte Cox and he is Houston’s manager too, so he doesn’t want me beating up his guy. (Laughs)

LC: What weight class are you looking to fight at? Will you remain at 205 pounds or will you go back and forth from there to heavyweight?
SP: I’ll be at 205 pounds for the most part, but if they want me to bump up to heavyweight, I will. Well…maybe just one time, for Kimbo.

LC: So you’d be willing a move up to heavyweight just to get that rematch?
SP: For sure. I’ll dispel the hype twice if I have to.

LC: A little while ago Kimbo had replied to your remarks, that he ducked a rematch with you or didn’t sign the contract that was offered. He stated you should be careful what you say because you don’t live far from each other in Florida and he can go to your “sissy ice cream shop” and handle it on the street. Care to respond?
SP: It’s not that hard to find me, just look for the “sissy ice cream shop” or my gym, and stop on in. I can be “street” if I need to be.

LC: I’m Dana White, with a head full of hair and a lot fewer cars, give me your sale’s pitch that will convince me to bring you back into the UFC.
SP: Look Dana, I’ve had some good wins since the UFC. I beat the guy that you’re making money off of and I think I can add to the hype and bring in some money for UFC as well. I’m always exciting, good looking, and marketable.

LC: Give me your thoughts on these fighters currently in the UFC....

--- Brock Lesnar?
SP: He’s a doofus, over-hyped, good wrestler, and big. That’s it.

--- Cain Velaquez?
SP: Tough fighter, I like him.

--- Frank Mir?
SP: I hope he can beat Brock again.

--- Lyoto Machida?
SP: I love him. Same style of karate as me and I love it.

--- Jon Jones?
SP: Sick athlete.
Article author: J. Andrew Yount. Posted on 04/14 at 02:21 AM