Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,256

0 members and 1,256 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Electric Blue Geckos!

I'm a pretty happy kid tonight. I'm sitting here at the computer enjoying a healthy "dinner" listenin to some chill music, and watching my new geks! LLL Reptile had the large showing that I've come to recognize about them at the California shows. One of their gems were these "electric blue geckos" aka Lygodactylus williamsi. I was traveling with my gecko affecionado friend in the morning and she let me know that they are easy to care for and pretty hardy, just like the fella at LLL was sayin. (You can imagine what one thinks when told these things about a beautiful animal.) Once the LLL guy Nate told me that they are on crested gecko diet, I was like, "Oh yeah? Hmm..."

In the end I walked out with these gorgeous little things, and at a great deal, thanks Nate and Loren (Lorn?)! Here's a link to google pictures that should produce a bunch better ones than mine. My camera won't use its flash, not sure why so I'll have to look into that. To learn a little about these little geks, here's the Wiki link on Lygodactylus williamsi, aka William's Dwarf Gecko. I'm just starting the researching these geckos, so I have some details to learn. I understand they are sort of like caring for a day gecko / a crested gecko. So far they have already enjoyed a good spritz of filtered water and drank plenty. They haven't touched their CGD, but I'm not worried yet, I'm glad they drank! They look happy and are actively exploring their terrarium.

Like Wiki suggests, these geckos are very active and curious about me - watching me from time to time. I think I'm going to really like these two being next to the computer and I don't think they'll mind it either! I may get another female at an upcoming show. Anyone want babies should they ever produce?

Today I had a fun time at the San Mateo Expo and met many new friends and some old friends too! Thanks Laura (Lolo76) for keeping me company in the afternoon and for my other buddy who helped me pick out the dwarf geks in the morning!

Without further verbage... here's my photos of the little gems and my "workstation." If you squint your eyes you can see the female on the back side of the tank towards the top, and the male hanging from the screen top behind the glass door on the right.

A close-up

How you doin? \/

The only quasi descent image I landed of the female

If he really tried, he might be able to fit himself under this quarter!

I'll finish with a close up of the little guy looking up at his paparazzi. Thanks for lookin and readin!
    Last edited by CA cowgirl; 04-11-2010 at 04:48 AM. Reason: fix links

Thanks

Re: Electric Blue Geckos!

They have funny little old man faces, LOL. Congrats again on your new geckos - they're adorable!
    Last edited by Lolo76; 04-11-2010 at 05:52 AM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolo76 For This Useful Post:

CA cowgirl (04-11-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks Laura! They are full of personality and so beautiful, I'm really enjoying this. Its a little slice of paradise that I can enjoy while I'm job hunting.

Thanks

those things are crazy cool looking!
    I'm not your friend buddy!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to djansen For This Useful Post:

CA cowgirl (04-11-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I forgot to share that they are currently about 1" SVL, their adult size should be about 2-3" snout to vent length, or 5-8 cm. So the habitat they are in now should be fine for a pair or trio of adults. I love it. I've always been fond of the day geckos, but back in the day we didn't have Exo Terra, and with the double doors and removable top of the Exo Terra, set up and clean up is so much easier and better!