Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,818

2 members and 3,816 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

good beginner monitor or tegu?

I've been wanting to get a monitor or regular but I don't know what kind would be a good starter but before I do I would like to read as much as possible about them first and have everything ready for it before I can get it I have a few extra places to house them I have a display case that's about 5' long 3' wide and 2' tall I also have a room that was orignally built for iguanas but is empty and that's about 8' tall about 5' wide and 4' tall for anything that likes being in trees I can also get anything needed to house them if nothing I have is suitable. But I just want an idea of any or all beginner friendly monitors or tegus so I can research them and decide which I feel best suits me. Thanks for any help in advance.
    1.1 Fire
    1.0 Super Pastel
    1.0 Orange Hypo
    1.0 Pied
    0.2 Het Pied
    0.1 Black Pastel
    1.0 Normal
    1.0 champaign
    1.0 bumble bee
    1.0 Albino
    0.1 het albino

Thanks

Re: good beginner monitor or tegu?

argentine black and white tegu! all the way!!! i have 1 and he's great. actually 2 but the other is a gold tegu. just a bit different.

Thanks

For tegus, I would recommend Argentine Black & White or Argentine Red. They both make great pets and are pretty friendly. Try staying away from the Columbians, from what I have seen they are extremely jumpy and eager to bite LOL.

For monitors, I would consider an Ackie or Timor since they are smaller and much easier to care for. I've handled Timors and have seen Ackies. Both seem like great monitors but always remember to regularly handle any of these lizards so they don't get too skittish or nippy.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    For tegus, I would recommend Argentine Black & White or Argentine Red. They both make great pets and are pretty friendly. Try staying away from the Columbians, from what I have seen they are extremely jumpy and eager to bite LOL.

For monitors, I would consider an Ackie or Timor since they are smaller and much easier to care for. I've handled Timors and have seen Ackies. Both seem like great monitors but always remember to regularly handle any of these lizards so they don't get too skittish or nippy.
    I agree.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chasedandbeaten View Post
    I've been wanting to get a monitor or regular but I don't know what kind would be a good starter but before I do I would like to read as much as possible about them first and have everything ready for it before I can get it I have a few extra places to house them I have a display case that's about 5' long 3' wide and 2' tall I also have a room that was orignally built for iguanas but is empty and that's about 8' tall about 5' wide and 4' tall for anything that likes being in trees I can also get anything needed to house them if nothing I have is suitable. But I just want an idea of any or all beginner friendly monitors or tegus so I can research them and decide which I feel best suits me. Thanks for any help in advance.
    "Beginner Friendly Monitor" is a misnomer.

While ackies stay small, they are not a beginner animal. They require care above and beyond what a regular snake or lizard needs. For example, that display case of yours is a good size for an ackie, but is virtually worthless if it does not have the ability to hold a deep substrate and keep humidity in.

The fact that you have the means to provide is fine - what is more important is that your have the knowledge to provide.

There a lot of people here who will give you advice regarding monitors lizards and their husbandry requirements - a couple them may actually know what they are talking about.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (05-12-2010),mumps (05-13-2010),slayer (04-21-2010)

Thanks

savvy. they my fav.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skiploder View Post
    "beginner friendly monitor" is a misnomer.

While ackies stay small, they are not a beginner animal. They require care above and beyond what a regular snake or lizard needs. For example, that display case of yours is a good size for an ackie, but is virtually worthless if it does not have the ability to hold a deep substrate and keep humidity in.

The fact that you have the means to provide is fine - what is more important is that your have the knowledge to provide.

There a lot of people here who will give you advice regarding monitors lizards and their husbandry requirements - a couple them may actually know what they are talking about.
    .................. +1

Thanks

chasedandbeaten, These links should point you in the right direction for quality varanid care advice.

http://www.varanus.net/forums/list.php?2
    http://www.repticzone.com/forums/Monitors/index.html
    Last edited by slayer; 04-21-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks

I would say savannah monitor or black throat monitors, the black throats are just amazing I went to a reptile shop In Arizona and they let one just free roam, so im guessing they cant be to aggressive, with alot of handling and care. Good luck my friend!

-Payson!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paysons Bps View Post
    I would say savannah monitor or black throat monitors, the black throats are just amazing I went to a reptile shop In Arizona and they let one just free roam, so im guessing they cant be to aggressive, with alot of handling and care. Good luck my friend!

-Payson!
    Exanthematicus are NOT beginner monitors. Neither are albigularis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast