Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,107

0 members and 2,107 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hope for recovery? or Euthanize? Emaciated, 23 yr. old BP w septicemia

What are the chances of recovery for an extremely emaciated 23-year-old ball python with septicemia and possible liver disease? One vet said "it is not hopeless, but it is grave." Another vet at the practice today told me the prognosis is "fairly guarded". Does anyone have experience nursing back to health a ball python who is so sick?

On April 4, 2010 I took owernship of my ex-boyfriend's 23-year-old ball python, Monty, becaue the snake is extremely ill and my ex-boyfriend doesn't want to take care of him. Monty is currently in the vets office under supportive care for at least two weeks due to septicemia, shedding, and liver problems. This morning the vet called to say that his skin tore open during treatment and wanted permission to sucture the wound, which I gave. This vet is very caring and I am sure that he was handled very carefully. Surprisingly, the vet reported that Monty ate an adult mouse several days ago. Monty had not eaten for a month and had only eaten sporadically prior to that.

Unfortunately, while housesitting for my ex-boyfriend (we are still friends but rarely see each other) I discovered that the ambient temperature in his cage was 72° and a temperature of the basking area was only 73°. The under the tank heating pad had broken unbeknown to my ex-boyfriend. I don't know how long it had been this way, but Monty has lost a lot of weight. He was only 680 grams when I took him to the vet on March 1, 2010. When I last took him to the vet in 2003 he was 1088 grams. So you can see that he has gone downhill quite a bit.

I know there are some very experienced ball python breeders on this forum. Do you have any words of wisdom for me? Thanks in advance for your assistance. Regards, Rita

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Re: Hope for recovery? or Euthanize? Emaciated, 23 yr. old BP w septicemia

The most dangerous thing going on here is the septicemia, I would think.

If that responds to the antibiotics, he's probably got a pretty good chance. It's worth trying, IMO.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts

I agree it should be given a chance to fight.

If it has held on this long despite such obvious poor care, it has a fighting spirit and a strong will to live. If the antibiotics help, it should be given every chance.

But, if the treatment has gone on for some time with no improvement, then I think it's time to admit it was too late and do what is kindest by euthanizing the snake.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

4. The Following User Says Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

hoax (04-10-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

The problem with septicemia is that ongoing infection is likely to cause damage to internal organs.

The kidneys and liver will be the first to go. From there, heart issues can pop up, but even before then it is too late for a recovery. We just don't have liver transplants and kidney dialysis for snakes. You already suspect liver disease anyhoo.

This is a very old snake with lots of problems and the likelihood of internal organ failure in the near future. I'm certainly not going to fault anyone for trying everything to save the snake's life, but it is worth considering the amount of pain the snake is in.

Thanks

WingedWolf and AngelLady-
    Thanks for your words of encouragement. I do not want to put Monty down. I am very fond of him and have known him for 15 years, although I didn't see him often. I have previously taken care of him when he had a prolapse and when he had mites. I don't want him to suffer anymore. He has been through alot. However, as you say he must have a strong will to live. Rita

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RitaMeterMaid View Post
    he must have a strong will to live.
    They generally do, and are such fantastic animals.

Good luck!

Thanks

He ate the other day so he must be feeling a little better! Give him a shot if you can. Hopefully he will live another 23 yrs. under your excellent and loving care.He will be in my thoughts, good luck and I hope he does OK. Keep us posted.
    Mike
    Mike
    P.S. - Just remember "This ain't no dress rehearsal !!!"

Thanks

I really dont know anything about health issues of Ball Pythons but I will hope and pray for this animal to get better. It's always sad to hear stories like this. It's a shame what happens to some animals.

I will keep my hopes high for your snake. It seams to have a fighting spirit. But also, if you think it is in pain and would rather be out of its misery, please consider getting it put down.

1.0 Pastel 09
    0.1 Pinstripe 13
    1.0 Champagne 13
    0.2 Pastel 13
    0.1 Normal Het Albino 13
    1.0 Albino 13

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Awwwwwwwwwww...my heart goes out for Monty...I do hope he makes it. If he ate...he has TONS of will. That is what Im thinking anyways!!! Please think positive thoughts as I will be!! Please keep us update and when he is feeling better I would love to see pics.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

Unhappy Re: Hope for recovery? or Euthanize? Emaciated, 23 yr. old BP w septicemia

Monty did not make it. He passed away on the Tuesday night. I went to vet's office last night to see him one last time and say goodbye. I put a white tulip on his body before cremation. He had lost more weight while in the hospital and had stitches. He suffered so much. Ironically, I had already made an appointment to go to the veterinarians office on Wednesday night for euthanasia because the vet had called and said he was not making progress in spite of treatment. Thanks to everyone on this forum who offered encouraging words and prayers. Regards, Rita

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast