Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,053

2 members and 3,051 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 per cage?

Thanks

2 per cage?

do any boas or pythons do go in groups of two? i am building some different cages and looking for a type of snake i can put two in the same cage. are there any? looking to stay under 10 ft.

thanks
    stuck

Thanks

Re: 2 per cage?

Regardless of the species, unless you are VERY experienced at snake keeping you should Never have more than one snake per cage. Period.

There are many reasons, but the main ones are health related. If one got sick it could pass that to the other and both would have to go to the vet. If food was regurged, how would you know who did it. Other reasons are space and domination/stress related.

Basically, only those who really know their snakes well and the peculiarities of each one can keep multiple animals together in one cage.
    Last edited by Argentra; 04-01-2010 at 08:29 PM.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

stuck (04-01-2010)

Thanks

You should NEVER keep two different species in the same cage, i.e. a dumerils and a brazilian rainbow, however I have successfully kept both of my BRBs in the same cage without incident for well over 2 years. As long as both snakes have equal hiding opportunity so there is no competition for the best hide and a clean environment there shouldnt be any problems. Feeding should always be done separately with a good rub down using snake oil after to prevent them from smelling prey on each other and striking. Although duel housing is done with success, note that every snake is different. Some may not want another in the tank while others dont mind. Know your snakes and your own ability well before introducing them together. I would also advise against putting two full grown adults together who have lived separately for their whole lives as they may be threatened or competitive with their new roomate.

Thanks

Don't forget about breeding

I personally wouldn't house ANYTHING together no matter what the species is. I just don't want stress on the snakes, breeding, fighting, dominating, spreading disease & parasites, etc.

Just want to save myself the hassle.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Stinkin' hot Tucson, AZ (it's somewhere between California and New Mexico).
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post

I personally wouldn't house ANYTHING together no matter what the species is. I just don't want stress on the snakes, breeding, fighting, dominating, spreading disease & parasites, etc.

This pretty well sums it up...I second it!

Thanks

Especially large boas and pythons. If one does get sick or something along those lines, its a larger investment to have a second setup prepared to get them serperated.

Snakes don't get any enjoyment living together, if your putting them together your either trying to save costs or space. If you don't have those things, should you have the animal?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post

While potentially unwanted mating is "sort of" a valid reason for not cohabitating any species, there are many species that do just fine when paired together.

Fighting and dominating are very specific issues when housing male snakes together. As for spreading disease and parasites, it should not be an issue on two healthy, properly quarantined animals.

As stated, an experienced keeper can easily keep a pair - even a 1.2 trio animals together provided that adequate space, adequate hides, etc. are kept in mind.

Cribo, spilotes, pseustes, antaresia, etc. are all species where pairs are often kept together and done so to facilitate breeding.

In answer to the OPs question - the antaresia group of pythons are often and successfully kept in 1.1 pairs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (04-25-2010)

Thanks

just saying but since most sand boas are sexually dimorphic, it wouldnt be a smart idea to put a male and a female together in the same cage, because cannibalism has been observed before. in fact ANY snakes that are sexually dimorphic shouldnt be kept in pairs unless during breeding

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    do any boas or pythons do go in groups of two? i am building some different cages and looking for a type of snake i can put two in the same cage. are there any? looking to stay under 10 ft.

thanks
    stuck
    Regardless of what you chose to do with your animals remember that you need to observe a strict quarantine period.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    While potentially unwanted mating is "sort of" a valid reason for not cohabitating any species, there are many species that do just fine when paired together.

Fighting and dominating are very specific issues when housing male snakes together. As for spreading disease and parasites, it should not be an issue on two healthy, properly quarantined animals.

As stated, an experienced keeper can easily keep a pair - even a 1.2 trio animals together provided that adequate space, adequate hides, etc. are kept in mind.

Cribo, spilotes, pseustes, antaresia, etc. are all species where pairs are often kept together and done so to facilitate breeding.

In answer to the OPs question - the antaresia group of pythons are often and successfully kept in 1.1 pairs.
    What about respiratory infections? Those can develop in your care, sometimes even for no apparent reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast