Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,773

1 members and 2,772 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: HELP!!!! what kind of gecko is this?

Quote Originally Posted by kellysballs View Post
    If its $30 its a halmahara. And probably wild caught (which is not necassaraly a bad thing just need to get it checked with a vet if you get it.)
    The gecko in the picture IS a leachianus. It sounds like that is an actual picture of the animal that is for sale for $30.

Halmahera giant geckos do look pretty similar, but that animal is definitely a leachianus.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    she is asking 30 for it..
    Most definitely it is a halmahera giant gecko then, and a wild caught one as mentioned. If you do get it, have a fecal done and treat it for any parasites and make sure to quarantine it well from your other animals for at least 90 days.

If I posted photos would you be able to tell me if it's a New Caledonia or a Halmahera?
    Yes, and get photos of the eyes if possible. The pupil of the two geckos are different and a very quick way to tell the difference. Here is a random photo of a halmahera's eye: http://www.flickr.com/photos/heosemy...n/photostream/. Note that the iris has kind of fluted edges. A leachie's pupil has more smooth edges, the same as that of a crested. Halmaheras also have longer, differently shaped tails, the back legs are a little different and their toes and toe nails are shaped a little differently.

On another note, from what I have read, halmahera geckos (especially wild caught ones) are not easily handled. They are fast and smart and can be escape artists. They have somewhat sharp nails and their skin can tear if restrained too much during handling. They prefer naturalistic setups with lots of cork bark and cork tubes for hiding.
    Last edited by mlededee; 04-01-2010 at 12:34 AM.
    - Emily

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

zeke (04-01-2010)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    The gecko in the picture IS a leachianus. It sounds like that is an actual picture of the animal that is for sale for $30.
    At the local pet shop they have one of these guys ( not this one but I know it's the same species of gecko) what is it?
    The gecko pictured is not the actual gecko that is for sale.
    - Emily

Thanks

Thank you all for your help.. The photo is not the one I will be gettin, It was my example. Will post photos when I can.

Like I said before the women told me it was a Giant Day Gecko... How do I tell this lady she was wrong?

Thank you all again, I will post pics later today...

Cheers

Thanks

Thank you all for your help.. The photo is not the one I will be gettin, It was my example. Will post photos when I can.

Like I said before the women told me it was a Giant Day Gecko... How do I tell this lady she was wrong?

Cheers
    Don't.

I am sure she is making a profit on it.

She gets her money. The gecko gets a better home.
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerhart For This Useful Post:

zeke (04-01-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Cheers
    Don't tell someone they are wrong, especially if you don't have a definitive ID on the critter. Whenever you correct someone you should always be able to provide back-up that confirms what you are saying without_a_doubt. We often see or hear things we want to, but it isn't reality.

You could go back to the shop and say you want to take some pictures so that you can show your friends and make sure you get the right subspecies so that you can get the right care sheet. Then PM me the photos, tell me which shop it is, and then I'll snag a leachi at a great price.

Seriously, it probably is the wild caught gecko that the other guys suggested. Pet shop folks can sometimes be dumb or ignorant, but if a high value animal comes into their position, you can bet your life on it that they won't lose tabs on it or sell it for significantly less than its worth.

p.s. its been a couple weeks, did you take the critter home?
    Last edited by CA cowgirl; 04-14-2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: added post script

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The gecko has been properly identified and purchased. See this thread: http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...d.php?t=116471.
    - Emily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CA cowgirl View Post
    Don't tell someone they are wrong, especially if you don't have a definitive ID on the critter. Whenever you correct someone you should always be able to provide back-up that confirms what you are saying without_a_doubt. We often see or hear things we want to, but it isn't reality.

You could go back to the shop and say you want to take some pictures so that you can show your friends and make sure you get the right subspecies so that you can get the right care sheet. Then PM me the photos, tell me which shop it is, and then I'll snag a leachi at a great price.

Seriously, it probably is the wild caught gecko that the other guys suggested. Pet shop folks can sometimes be dumb or ignorant, but if a high value animal comes into their position, you can bet your life on it that they won't lose tabs on it or sell it for significantly less than its worth.

p.s. its been a couple weeks, did you take the critter home?
    LOL, I wish I lived in CA, then I could tell you what shop it was.. I'm in NY
    As you can tell I dont like it here. The misses and I wanna get outta here and move to CA. Yes I did pick up the gecko not sure if you clicked the link that wingedwolf posted but there is a thread in the General Gecko area with pics of the setup and gecko.. He is bloody fast too OMG! lol

Cheers

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

LOL, I wish I lived in CA, then I could tell you what shop it was.. I'm in NY
    As you can tell I dont like it here. The misses and I wanna get outta here and move to CA. Yes I did pick up the gecko not sure if you clicked the link that wingedwolf posted but there is a thread in the General Gecko area with pics of the setup and gecko.. He is bloody fast too OMG! lol

Cheers
    California is more live-able financially than in years past, and some folks have left, so come on over!

I did click the link and sent a thanks note to mlededee. I'm glad you are happily owning it and others have chimed in to help you on its care. My little geckos are fast too, but they are pretty darn brave and don't dart about when I'm messing around with cleaning, feeding or misting. Hopefully yours will settle down after a little while.

p.s. I just saw my wording... its tough to be perfect online... I said, "if a high value animal comes into their position," when I meant possession. ha ha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CA cowgirl View Post
    California is more live-able financially than in years past, and some folks have left, so come on over!

I did click the link and sent a thanks note to mlededee. I'm glad you are happily owning it and others have chimed in to help you on its care. My little geckos are fast too, but they are pretty darn brave and don't dart about when I'm messing around with cleaning, feeding or misting. Hopefully yours will settle down after a little while.

p.s. I just saw my wording... its tough to be perfect online... I said, "if a high value animal comes into their position," when I meant possession. ha ha
    YES PLEASE!.. we both have family in CA I have some in northern and the misses has some in southern.

Yes the gecko is cool. I dont see it move much but it has.. I think it's WC not sure but it is really spazzstic.

Dont worry about the wording half the time when I'm replyin to a post I've had a few beers hahaha..

Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast