Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,837

0 members and 1,837 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Just built my mouse breeding setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Jt. View Post
    The male will breed as many females as there are.

And Jay - that's the great thing. We can give him many different ways and options of doing things and he - like we did - can find what works best for him.
    Exactly!

And Purple, if you keep the male in 24/7, you can usually expect a litter from each female every 3 weeks. On occasion, they won't get pregnant right after giving birth and will breed after their litter is weaned and you have to wait an additional 3 weeks for that female. A mouse can have many many babies, but if you go by 10 babies per female, then every 3 weeks, you should get 30-ish babies.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    Exactly!

And Purple, if you keep the male in 24/7, you can usually expect a litter from each female every 3 weeks. On occasion, they won't get pregnant right after giving birth and will breed after their litter is weaned and you have to wait an additional 3 weeks for that female. A mouse can have many many babies, but if you go by 10 babies per female, then every 3 weeks, you should get 30-ish babies.
    dang thats a lot.... lol

that makes me very excited.

I am only going to need like 7 mice a month though.... So it looks like I am going to have to sell the extras

a little extra cash never hurts nowadays

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    In theory this is true, but in reality, at least in my experience, you won't end up with that many babies. Some times females won't get pregnant on schedule. Some litters will be small, especially at first, until you've had a few generations to selectively breed for better breeders. Some babies just won't thrive. Some litters may get eaten, again especially at first.

I recently read a post from someone that if I remember correctly, they were running 100 female mice, and producing 500 mice/month. That's only 5 babies per female each month. I can probably find the post if you are interested in seeing it.
    Casey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12