Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,615

1 members and 1,614 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

MMA Top 10 Bantamweights: Rise of Cruz, Fall of Torres

1. Dominick Cruz (3): Crazy as it sounds considering he was an underdog heading into Saturday night, it's hard to even see who represents a good challenge to Cruz. In his last two fights Cruz has beaten the second- and third-best bantamweights in the world in dominant fashion. He's a real champion.

2. Joseph Benavidez (4): I was blown away by how much stronger Benavidez was than Torres. And what's really amazing is that Benavidez can make 125 pounds when and if the WEC adds a flyweight division.

3. Brian Bowles (1): It's impossible to know what Bowles would have done against Cruz if he hadn't broken his hand, but we have to base this on what we know, which is that Cruz won the fight soundly.

4. Miguel Torres (2): Torres hasn't just lost two fights in a row, he's been dominated two fights in a row. It might even be a little bit generous to have him at No. 4.

5. Scott Jorgensen (8): If the WEC wants to give Cruz a new challenge, rather than a rematch with Benavidez or Bowles, Jorgensen would be the guy.

6. Rani Yahya (5): He's probably the best pure submission grappler in the bantamweight class, but he was badly beaten by Benavidez in his last fight.

7. Masakazu Imanari (NR): "The Master of Leglocks" isn't well known among American fans because he fights for DEEP, but he's the best bantamweight outside the WEC.

8. Wagnney Fabiano (7): He looked good in his bantamweight debut at WEC 46 and could be a title contender at 135 pounds.

9. Takeya Mizugaki (9): Only 1-2 since joining the WEC, but the losses were a couple of hard-fought decisions to Torres and Jorgensen.

10. Charlie Valencia (10): Like Benavidez, he can make 125 pounds. I'd love to see the WEC make Benavidez-Valencia its first flyweight fight.

*The previous bantamweight rankings are in parentheses.
    3/09/2010 9:30 AM ET By Michael David Smith
    Jeff Bernard

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boanerges For This Useful Post:

Gloryhound (03-30-2010)

Thanks

Re: MMA Top 10 Bantamweights: Rise of Cruz, Fall of Torres

I hate to love Miguel Torres, hard to believe he lost anything. That guy is a warrior.
    ]

Thanks

Re: MMA Top 10 Bantamweights: Rise of Cruz, Fall of Torres

I would love to see them add a flyweight with Benavidez-Valencia opening up the division. Those two guys know how to move fast. I only wish they would make a more stand up and beat on each other type competition. The ground and pound along with submission holds have really made Brazilian Jiu Jitsu a must and a dominate fighting technique. A Taekwondo vs. Kick boxing match up would be neat, but the spin and jump techniques Taekwondo uses may not hold up well against a physically fit well trained professional kick boxer.