Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,039

1 members and 3,038 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Seller related Paypal Question

I asked this on another forum, and was wondering the thoughts from people were on bp.net.

I've been wondering this for a while, and it is something that seriously rubs me the wrong way and I was wondering if other people feel the same.

It is against paypal's terms of service to charge buyers for a fee associated with using paypal. Yet i see breeders and sellers (of any products from reptile related, to camera related, to art related etc) CHARGING users for an additional fee for using paypal.

I understand that for most transactions its only 0.3%, but thats not the point.

In case you are wondering here I'm pulling this from:
    https://cms.paypal.com/cgi-bin/marke...locale.x=en_US

"4.6 :

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions."

What do you guys do about this? Do you even care, is it something that matters to you? For me its a principal thing.. I'd probably give extra just to cover the fee if i wasn't required to do so. I've also seen people (NOT in the reptile community, in another hobby of mine ) abusing this badly. Asking to add 25-50% ADDITIONAL price onto an item plus shipping because "paypal is mean" to them.

I've discussed this with some people in the art world (commissioned artwork mostly) and they just get defensive. It's sad because there are a lot of people i don't want to buy from because they do this. I have been using paypal for years and have never, EVER charged someone for a fee. I eat it because Im the seller. If i want more money for an item/product/animal/whatever i charge more across the board, not just for paypal.

I have a feeling a lot of people use paypal because its fast and easy..but they don't actually read the TOS they agreed to upon sighing up for an account.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.. opinions?

Thanks

Re: Seller related Paypal Question

I personally don't buy anything from anybody that adds a surcharge for using plastic, or that tries to pad the shipping fees. Once I have accepted the purchase price in my mind I become angry when I see them try to sneak the cost up after the fact. Using plastic is the norm today, not the exception. I believe that enough people feel this way that such selling tactics are actually self defeating. They should factor this cost into the selling price (in my opinion) if they don't want to discourage customers from making a purchase.
    Do not resuscitate

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dsirkle For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (03-28-2010)

Thanks

It rubs me the wrong way. As a seller I offer paypal as a convenience to my customers -and I want the same convenience as a customer myself.

It's me giving them additional options to purchase from me and not charging them for additional options. I won't buy from anyone who tries to tack the fee on. If its that big of a deal, then just charge the price including the fee from the get go.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Apple Herps For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (03-28-2010)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Paypal fee is the cost of doing business for me, if I was setup with a merchant account, and was processing credit card it would cost them a lot more than 2.9% + $0.30, I would be charged a monthly fee (whether I use it or not) and a transaction fee.

Aside from being against paypal TOS I think it's cheesy to charge 2.9% + $0.30 and I do not do business with people doing this.

They can very well sell their animal at a higher price to compensate for the Paypal fee.

I do not charge paypal fee, never have never will even with payment plans, just not the way I do business.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (03-28-2010)

Thanks

i wouldnt do business with someone that charges the added fee either, i dont even buy gas at places that charge more to use a card.
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 771subliminal For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (03-28-2010)

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I'm really glad i am not alone in this. I have seen at least 15 breeders that charge this and im annoyed because the species i want to get aren't all that common so the amount of breeders i can buy from is limited. I just won't go against principal on this.

Thanks

I'm with everyone else here, and not just on the reptile topic but in all aspects of buying/selling. I won't charge and/or pay any extra fees for using Paypal or any other payment method for that matter. It is simply disrespectful to your customers.
    -Eric-

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Twisted Reptiles For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (03-29-2010)