Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 542

0 members and 542 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: DIY: Crested Gecko Tubs

Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    I just wanted to add a few things to this thread as suggestions/alternatives for other people who will be following this awesome tutorial.

1) I made two of these tubs and for the life of me, I could NOT cut through that thick plastic with a scorer, an Exacto knife or even a razor box cutter. I ended up having to use a soldering gun to melt through the plastic. That plastic was a lot thicker than I thought it would be! I'd actually recommend skipping the scorer and just using a soldering gun because it was definitely easier and faster.

2) Instead of using hot glue, I used RV silicone to adhere the screen to the tub. I chose this method because I didn't want to risk burning myself with the glue, haha! To make sure the screen was taut, I siliconed the bottom of the screen first and let it dry, and then I did the sides and the top. It's held up great so far.
    Good suggestions! I have been using an acrylic scorer on thick sheets of plastic for years now, so I don't mind the time it takes to make a clean cut. I don't normally use the scorer to cut all the way through the plastic, just to make a big enough groove to snap it.

I never thought about using silicone! My hot glue has been holding up well though! (over a year).
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    This is awesome! I am going to get either a gargoyle gecko or a crested at a reptile show in a week. I was going to buy a terrarium there, but this seems cheap and effective. Thanks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Allie Weibel For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (11-21-2011)

Thanks
    I know this thread is old but I thought I would post what I got so far.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AKA Reptiles For This Useful Post:

h00blah (09-02-2013)

Thanks

Nice! I like the little raised shelf you made.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Kaorte; 03-09-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    ~Steffe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

AKA Reptiles (03-09-2013)

Thanks
    Yea its cheaper then buying a magnetic gecko ledge. I'm building a few of those also.

Thanks
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pet/3923318020.html

Just found this ad on CL, and can't help but wonder if this is one of our members...look at the tub!

Btw, if it is, I would be extremely interested, if I had the money right now. But I do have an awesome setup.
    Last edited by Anya; 07-09-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python 'Marcelene'
    1.0.0 Hypo Brooks Kingsnake, 'Limonchello'
    0.0.1 Western Ratsnake 'Sticker'

?.?.? Dubia Colony.
    ?.?.? Madagascar Hissing Colony
    2.0.0 Ferrets 'Ferris' & 'Steven'
    3 gallon planted tank
    1.0.0 Avicularia Avicularia 'Peter'
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans 'Little Dude'
    0.0.1 Pterinochilus murinus 'Mr.Bitey'

0.1.0 Catahoula Pitbull Mix ' Imogen'

Thanks
    Do you think there would be any issue with cutting a screen piece into the lid? This would be for a heat lamp! I live in Washington and it can get a little too cold in the winter. Do you think the heat lamp would ruminate or melt the plastic? For anyone that has used these tubs do they/you just set your house heat and go by that? Our house is old and has no room/house temp. So I need to monitor the exact temp in the terrarium. Of course, if the lamp will melt the plastic I have to rethink this whole idea. My plan is to pick up a female to go with my male and house them in a tub similar to this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JaredJEstes View Post
    Do you think there would be any issue with cutting a screen piece into the lid? This would be for a heat lamp! I live in Washington and it can get a little too cold in the winter. Do you think the heat lamp would ruminate or melt the plastic? For anyone that has used these tubs do they/you just set your house heat and go by that? Our house is old and has no room/house temp. So I need to monitor the exact temp in the terrarium. Of course, if the lamp will melt the plastic I have to rethink this whole idea. My plan is to pick up a female to go with my male and house them in a tub similar to this.
    Are you housing crested geckos? They are pretty forgiving on temperature so not sure if you would even need a heat lamp. In fact, I think a heat lamp would get way too hot for them unless you use a dimmer switch.

In any case, I don't see an issue with putting mesh on the lid, but only if you use a dimmer switch to control the temperature. Also it is worth noting that the humidity will escape mostly from the top, so the more mesh you put on, the more you lower the humidity. Using a heat lamp will also decrease your humidity. So get your spray bottle ready. lol
    ~Steffe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

JaredJEstes (01-05-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    Are you housing crested geckos? They are pretty forgiving on temperature so not sure if you would even need a heat lamp. In fact, I think a heat lamp would get way too hot for them unless you use a dimmer switch.

In any case, I don't see an issue with putting mesh on the lid, but only if you use a dimmer switch to control the temperature. Also it is worth noting that the humidity will escape mostly from the top, so the more mesh you put on, the more you lower the humidity. Using a heat lamp will also decrease your humidity. So get your spray bottle ready. lol
    I agree with you, I think a heat lamp will be too much. I am from England, and our winters aren't very nice, and my gecko gets on just fine without and heating at all. I do have a normal light above her to provide a proper day/night cycle and soon to provide light to my live plants, and the small amount of heat from this brings my viv up a few degrees alone!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I own:
    1.0 Reduced Normal Ball Python [Peter]
    0.1 Harlequin Crestie [Amelia]

The other half owns:
    1.0 Orange Dalmatian Crestie [Archie]
    0.1 Golden Dalmatian Crestie [Banana]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to George1994 For This Useful Post:

JaredJEstes (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanks for your help Kaorte and George. I have been using a heating lamp thus far for my crestie. He finds his way up under the light more than you think. But the real danger is forgetting to turn it off. I usually just turn it on for an hour or so to get his tank temp at about 75 (that's my goal). Sometimes it's lower, sometimes it's higher.

I imagine there won't be too much circulation if I am using a plastic tub like this (thus the cut out on the side). But it relieves me and worries me to not have to make a cut out on top. It relieves me because the enclosure will be safe and easy to make. Yet, I worry about it getting too cold for him? I guess the danger for cresties is extreme hot, not cold? Thanks for your input thus far and anymore you have.

I am going to start this project this weekend and I will post some photos, assuming I find it presentable. Thanks!
    Last edited by JaredJEstes; 01-05-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234