Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,804

0 members and 2,804 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

DIY: Crested Gecko Tubs

I really like tub setups for my reptiles. Glass cages are nice, but once you acquire more than a few animals that each require their own glass tank, it gets rather expensive, heavy, and cumbersome.

I followed a few guides on how to make tubs for crested geckos and I thought I would post how I put mine together.

One tub only takes about 30 minutes to assemble so get your tools ready!

Materials List:
    Plastic tub: I used the container store's "deep sweater boxes". They are about equivalent to a 10g and nice and tall. They are also some of the clearest tubs on the market.

Screen Mesh: I used fiberglass screen which can be found at the Home Depot or Lowes for about $5 for a huge roll. You won't need nearly as much as provided for one tub, but chances are you will be getting a new gecko soon, right?

Plants and climbing branches:This can be as boring or elaborate as you want. I use plastic plants from the dollar store, sterilized sticks I find outside, and paper towel tubes. Remember that your crestie needs good sturdy climbing surfaces as well as foliage for hiding spots.

Tools:

These are the basic tools that you need to do this project.

The little blue thing with the cap on it is called an acrylic scorer. It is used to cut plastic and plexiglass. It works very very well at cutting tubs. You could use an exacto knife or a box cutter, but it will be much more difficult. These tools are only a couple of dollars at the home depot right by where they keep the plexiglass. Hopefully you all can recognize the other tools

Step#1:
    Mark where you want your screened in opening to be. I made mine 7"x11". The screen size is directly related to the humidity. If you live in a humid climate, make a bigger screened area. If you live in a very dry climate, make the screened area smaller. You want enough screen to allow good air flow, but not too much so that it doesn't hold any humidity. The tub should go through a humidity cycle. After you mist, the enclosure should be able to dry out before you mist again.

I cut out two squares, one on the front side of the tub and one on the back. The screen also doubles as a good climbing surface for cresties.

This is how you use the acrylic scorer.

Step#2:
    Wash your tub! I like to do this after I cut the square for the screen. Less surface area to clean and easier to dry.

Step#3:
    Cutting the screen. Make sure you cut the screen a little bit bigger then the opening you cut in your tub. I made my screen pieces 1/2" bigger on all
    sides.

Place your screen on the inside of the tub and check to make sure it fits well. If it is a little bit big, trim a little off the sides and check it again. Start out a little bit bigger then what you think you need. It is much easier to trim a little bit off the side, and much more wasteful to re-cut the piece of screen if you make it too small.

Step#4:
    Hot glue the screen to the tub. This is probably the trickiest part. Lay the screen as flat as you can over the opening. I like to hold the screen nice and tight over the edges and put a little bit of glue there to hold it in place before I do the whole thing.

Make sure the screen is touching the tub so that the hot glue can get into the mesh and adhere itself to the tub. I will sometimes press my finger over the freshly laid hot glue to press it in and seal it. This is kind of painful since the glue is very hot, but it isn't enough to cause burns (or maybe my skin is just that tough now ). You don't need to do this, I think it looks a little nicer in the end if you do.

Check to make sure the screen is secure. Gently press your hand on the screen from the outside. Make sure there are no gaps in the glue. If it feels nice and taught you are good to go!

Tada! Your tub is now done! All that is left is to decorate it

Add in your substrate. I like to use paper towels. They look clean, and it is easy to spot poo. Mmm Poo.

This is your chance to be creative. Arrange your plants, sticks, paper towel tubes, food dishes, hides! Here are some of my tubs that I have set up. Make sure you take advantage of the vertical space and put plants and climbing branches up there too. Cresties like to climb and jump!

Here is a good way to attach larger leaves and vines into your tub. I cut the leaves off a dollar store fake plant and threaded them through some soldered holes in the tub.

The best part is, they are stack-able!

Post pictures of tubs you have made for your geckos!
    ~Steffe

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

AlexisFitzy (01-05-2015),Allie Weibel (10-12-2011),ALTownsend1 (03-29-2010),Anya (01-28-2012),BHReptiles (06-10-2013),bill.allred (10-07-2011),DavisonReptileCo (04-08-2010),Forrester86 (07-18-2013),gunkle (03-21-2019),JaredJEstes (01-04-2015),jben (03-30-2010),jmc reptiles (05-27-2010),John1982 (12-10-2011),likebull1 (03-30-2010),Mephibosheth1 (07-09-2013),Pampho85 (06-17-2012),pavlovk1025 (04-22-2010),RR - Mackenzie (06-21-2010),steveboos (12-11-2010),waltah! (04-23-2010)

Thanks

Re: DIY: Crested Gecko Tubs

awesome tubs good work

Thanks

Very nice! When I get some cresties I will definitely use this!
    Christina

0.1 Normal BP "Cleo"
    1.1 Bearded Dragons "Munch" and "Ziggy"
    1.0 Red Eared Slider "Norwell"

Thanks

Those look awesome I have a few questions.. do they still climb the sides as well as with glass? I have had a few people say once water drops start forming on the tubs they just cant climb them like glass. I need to stack too.. only have so much room my babies go in tubs but my adults and juvis in exo terras. like this below. Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by Warocker's Wife; 03-28-2010 at 02:51 PM.

click pic to see my reptiles

Thanks

They have a little trouble climbing the plastic at first, but after the static dissipates, they can climb it just fine. Plus they can stick to the screen as well. I don't really mist the sides of the tubs as much as the fake plants and climbing branches.
    I should do a test to see how well they can climb the wet tub vs. the dry tub.

I wash the tubs really well a couple times before I put the geckos in them and they can climb pretty well.

I made an order last week for some bamboo sticks, so I am waiting on those and I will be adding more hard climbing surfaces.
    ~Steffe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Warocker's Wife (03-29-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

Very nice tubs Kaorte. I never though about putting leaves though the ventilation holes like that--that's a really great idea!

My cresteds seem to be able to climb their plastic tubs fine. Some actually climb them better after I mist, when the tubs are a little wet as opposed to dry. My adults that are in enclosures with acrylic sides, pvc back and screen fronts definitely can't hold onto the pvc part of the enclosure when it is wet though.

As far as stacking goes--that is definitely something you will want to be able to make use of if you get into cresteds at all. My herp room is covered up in stacks. The most fun are the rows upon rows of 6+ high kritter keepers...ooh you make feeding and cleaning days so much fun!
    Last edited by mlededee; 03-28-2010 at 07:35 PM.
    - Emily

Thanks

Emily do you have a picture of your herp room? More specifically the rhac part? I really like to see how other people have setup their geckos
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

Haha, um I'm not sure I can get in there at an angle where I could get a decent picture. It's a little tight. I have plans to redo the whole rhac portion of the room, and I will definitely get photos when that is complete. But that also involves scaling back on the geckos quite a bit in order to reduce the stacks (I may have been a bit over zealous with the breeding in the last 2 seasons and ended up with kind of a lot of babies ).
    - Emily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    Haha, um I'm not sure I can get in there at an angle where I could get a decent picture. It's a little tight. I have plans to redo the whole rhac portion of the room, and I will definitely get photos when that is complete. But that also involves scaling back on the geckos quite a bit in order to reduce the stacks (I may have been a bit over zealous with the breeding in the last 2 seasons and ended up with kind of a lot of babies ).
    Lol! I know what you mean. I don't yet have my own reptile room (sad!) but I should have my own reptile "area" by this summer.

Definitely take pictures when you are done re-doing everything!
    ~Steffe

Thanks

nice DIY enclosure

lance
    NEVER RELEASE FISH OR REPTILES OR ANY ANIMAL INTO THE WILD.

Please read the CARESHEET! to make sure you're doing the best you can for your pet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast