Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,333

1 members and 3,332 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Late 09 Male Pastel

Rodney the first day I got him.

On the carpet cruisin' around.

This is my tank setup. On the left side of the tank I have my REPTITEMP 500R, and its connected to my UTH and plugged into my Zilla Automatic timer/Power center. Over the tank cover I have my 50 watt red bulb setup and connected to a lamp dimmer. I have 2 hanging plants on the left side, and 2 on the right side to try to cover up the glass so that he feels more secure, and the very back is covered up by a plain black background. His water dish is in the very back right corner, and his two identical hides are easily seen(blue bowls). I have a fake plant right in front of the Accurite thermometer, and also one of those hollowed out logs.

I also have that big peice of driftwood for him to climb on laying on top of that other fake half log with the holes it in to the left. I had the Accurite probe and REPTITEMP 500R probe both stuck uner the heating pad itself under the tank using adhesive so that it dosn't move around. You can't see this in the picture, but overhead I have a large fluorescent light that is also plugged into the automatic timer. It turns on every morning at 9 AM and turns off every night around 7:40 pm.

Let me know what you think of my snake and my setup!

Thanks

Talking Re: Late 09 Male Pastel

everything looks great! nice snake too! but um i dont think its gunna work great if you have your probes on the actual heat mat i think you should put it in the tank to get a more accurate reading on what temp the snake is feeling... because i think glass hold like 15% heat and that means that the temp your getting is higher than the temp in the tank....but i could be wrong so i guess let other people have there word before going and changing anything

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrgbb For This Useful Post:

PurplePython (03-25-2010)

Thanks

Re: Late 09 Male Pastel

Quote Originally Posted by Mrgbb View Post
    everything looks great! nice snake too! but um i dont think its gunna work great if you have your probes on the actual heat mat i think you should put it in the tank to get a more accurate reading on what temp the snake is feeling... because i think glass hold like 15% heat and that means that the temp your getting is higher than the temp in the tank....but i could be wrong so i guess let other people have there word before going and changing anything
    yeah I figured that the temps on the mat itself would be a little higher, so I make sure that the temp reads around 95 degrees. Does anyone else know if 95 degrees on the mat itself should make it good enough in the cage orrr?? I initially had both of the probes on the inside of the tank but the areptitemp 500R's wire was wayyyyy to big to cover up good enough and it was just wayy easier to put on the under side of the UTH itself. But like I said it reads 95 degrees.

Thanks

Talking Re: Late 09 Male Pastel

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePython View Post
    Does anyone else know if 95 degrees on the mat itself should make it good enough in the cage orrr??.
    should be higher it has to be around that hot in the tank itself.... but than again my uncle usedto keep ball pythons as a teen and he never even used a single heat lamp or mat lol he had all of them for years untill he had to sell them....... so idk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mrgbb View Post
    WRONG, he has it right, the thermostat probe should not be inside the enclosure.
    The idea is to read the hottest possible temp the snake could lay on.
    The thermometer probe goes inside to read that temperature, directly on top of the UTH
    Every single probe I own is taped to lay directly against the flexwatt heat pad, outside of the enclosure.

Never make the hot spot higher than 95, I prefer 92 myself,
    but I watch mine all the time as I am a stay at home dad.

If you need more heat you need to up the wattage of the bulb, but for sure don't go higher with the UTH.
    Jerry Robertson

7. The Following User Says Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

Account Disabled
    Thanks

I would change the hides. The half-logs have two openings. I would get a hide that only has one way in and is completely enclosed in order to add more security for the BP. That is just what I would do.
    Nice snake by the way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eulenspiegel View Post
    I would change the hides. The half-logs have two openings. I would get a hide that only has one way in and is completely enclosed in order to add more security for the BP. That is just what I would do.
    Nice snake by the way
    thanks

but the half logs arnt his hides, they are just in the tank to add decoration and give him something to slither around when hes awake and active lol.

The two hides are actually the 2 blue bowls you see in the picture. I made them myself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    WRONG, he has it right, the thermostat probe should not be inside the enclosure.
    The idea is to read the hottest possible temp the snake could lay on.
    The thermometer probe goes inside to read that temperature, directly on top of the UTH
    Every single probe I own is taped to lay directly against the flexwatt heat pad, outside of the enclosure.

Never make the hot spot higher than 95, I prefer 92 myself,
    but I watch mine all the time as I am a stay at home dad.

If you need more heat you need to up the wattage of the bulb, but for sure don't go higher with the UTH.
    thanks for the info. I will make sure i move the thermometer probe back inside the enclosure, and leave the thermostat probe on the heating pad right where its at.

But hey man, you didnt let me know what you thought about the tank and the snake itself! lol
    Last edited by PurplePython; 03-25-2010 at 02:53 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePython View Post

But hey man, you didnt let me know what you thought about the tank and the snake itself! lol
    I think it looks fine, I just wouldn't want the cleaning chore that goes with it

The accurite box should be on the cool end to read that temperature, the probe from the box should stretch over to the hot spot, to read that temperature.

I see nothing wrong with the set up, if the back and sides aren't covered, you might think about doing that, it makes the snake feel more comfortable in an all glass tank.

The snake is a bit difficult to see, dark pictures, and seems to be on the thin side, or is that just the photo, lol?

Even if he is thin, thin snakes can be fed up, just make his home comfortable for him and he will reward you with his eating prowess
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

I do like the tank set up what a lucky snake! Most people have a wide temp variant that they prefer for their snakes. Depending on where at in Africa the temps range greatly from below freezing in the mountains (no BP's there) to 122f in the deserts. The average temps for a larger majority of the BP areas is 68-86f. 68-78f in the winter and 78-86f in the summer.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TessadasExotics For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast