Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,145

0 members and 3,145 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Help please d:

Thanks

Help please d:

So I was sitting in bed when I heard furious squeaking coming from the tub with my mouse and her nine babies. I looked in and she was dragging one of them around the cage. I thought maybe she was cleaning it or something, but I grabbed her and put her and the male in their cleaning box when I noticed a huge gash on the baby. I rubbed my hands in the bedding, took a few pictures, checked all the others, and put them all back, with the injured one on the bottom. When I put mom back in, she ran over and grabbed another baby and started dragging it around.
    I'm not really sure what to do! The babies are eight days old today, do they still eat them when they're this old?

Here's a picture:

Help!
    1.0 normal ball python, Simon
    1.0 spider ball python, Noah
    0.1 genetic blurry ball python, Eleanor

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    - the fox

Thanks

Re: Help please

So I fed the hurt baby to my king, maybe she knew it was sick or something? I don't know. My mom doesn't think they're getting enough food from their hopper and she was hungry, so I gave her a dish with some food in it, and some hot dog chunks and oats to keep her busy (and I heard the protein in hot dogs can help them not eat their young?) Hopefully this works, she's distracted by the food and hasn't gone back to the nest yet.

- the fox

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Re: Help please d:

I've never had any killed by the parents at that age but it can happen, maybe it got injured by accident? Sounds like you did all you could, just have to wait and see.

Thanks

Okay well, update. I've got four babies left, which means she ate five Went to a friends house last night and came back to little splatters of blood everywhere. Twice today I've caught her going to the nest and dragging a baby out, but each time when I open the lid she drops them, I pick her up and put her in her cleaning box, put the baby back, and put more treats in the cage, which keeps her interested for a while. I thought after the first week they didn't eat babies anymore?! This is ridiculous. I'm switching to ASFs as soon as possible. But this mouse is certainly not getting a chance at a second litter. Speaking of, my second mouse just dropped. Hope she doesn't eat them too

Edit: I feel horrible. I decided to take the male out to see if he had anything to do with it, and when I put him in with my feeders he drank for five minutes straight. I had bought a new waterbottle and put it on the outside of their tub with the spout drilled in, but I think the ball was too big and heavy for them to move, because now the female's drinking insane after I put a different bottle in. Stupid. I bet that's why she was eating babies. i certainly won't make that mistake ever again.
    Last edited by musicalKeyes; 04-25-2010 at 07:07 PM.

- the fox

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by musicalKeyes View Post
    Okay well, update. I've got four babies left, which means she ate five Went to a friends house last night and came back to little splatters of blood everywhere. Twice today I've caught her going to the nest and dragging a baby out, but each time when I open the lid she drops them, I pick her up and put her in her cleaning box, put the baby back, and put more treats in the cage, which keeps her interested for a while. I thought after the first week they didn't eat babies anymore?! This is ridiculous. I'm switching to ASFs as soon as possible. But this mouse is certainly not getting a chance at a second litter. Speaking of, my second mouse just dropped. Hope she doesn't eat them too

Edit: I feel horrible. I decided to take the male out to see if he had anything to do with it, and when I put him in with my feeders he drank for five minutes straight. I had bought a new waterbottle and put it on the outside of their tub with the spout drilled in, but I think the ball was too big and heavy for them to move, because now the female's drinking insane after I put a different bottle in. Stupid. I bet that's why she was eating babies. i certainly won't make that mistake ever again.
    Dehydration causes cannibalization in rodents ten times faster than starvation. Just make sure you always check the water bottles when you refill them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle.C For This Useful Post:

skreptiles (05-10-2010)

Thanks

The water bottle was completely full, they just weren't physically able to push the ball back far enough to get enough water. It's certainly going to make me more diligent times 213497450389 with water though.

- the fox